Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Manual grinding for espresso sounds like hell.

Depends on the grinder. I’ve been doing it for over a year and I’m very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am about to pull the trigger on a six cup Chemex and the 65 dollar jiffypop looking stovetop roaster starter kit at Sweet Maria's. I have a ton of tea related stuff but I don't have a gooseneck kettle. I've been using my tea kettle with my clever coffee brewer with good results. However I want to make more than a cup at a time. How big of a deal is not having a fancy kettle if I am using the Chemex? I want to be able to brew in the morning and take a cup or two with me to work.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

This is a very personal choice, but I'd be more inclined to go for a gooseneck kettle over a stovetop roaster, partly because I think it's more valuable to get experience with pourovers and finding what you like before roasting, but also because of the sheer number of times I burnt my hands trying to pour water into my chemex from a regular kettle. It might be easier with the six cup, though; I had the pint-size, which has a narrow mouth and a real tendency to wobble (when I finally smashed it by accident I opted for a plastic V60 and haven't looked back).

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Other than aesthetics, is there a reason to go with the Rancillo Silvia over the Crossland CC1 at this point? The built in PID, timer, and thermoblock steamer make it look like a more forgiving machine for a beginner with enough settings to experiment once I get the basics down.

(I'll still probably get the Silvia. I'm a sucker for chrome/steel and physical switches.)

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Spiggy posted:

Other than aesthetics, is there a reason to go with the Rancillo Silvia over the Crossland CC1 at this point? The built in PID, timer, and thermoblock steamer make it look like a more forgiving machine for a beginner with enough settings to experiment once I get the basics down.
Only reason I can think of is ease of getting parts or service if/when it comes to that.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
If i didn't get an insane deal on my Expobar and Rocky drinder, the CC1 was my first choice for my office.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
Doesn't the maker of Crossland have insane service and loves his customer?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The Creature posted:

Doesn't the maker of Crossland have insane service and loves his customer?
Bill's a great guy and I'm sure he does his best to take care of his customers, but the fact remains that he is the biggest single point of failure on the CC1. If he gets too busy with other things or hit by a bus or something you now have an expensive boat anchor and no coffee. You can get a Silvia repaired or buy parts for it from 100+ shops all over the world.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I had a CC1 for a bit and bill is a great guy. Something broke on it right out of the box and he immediately showed me how to fix it and sent me a free naked PF for the hassle.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Spiggy posted:

(I'll still probably get the Silvia. I'm a sucker for chrome/steel and physical switches.)

I went from a Silvia (which I ended up fixing anyway) to a CC1 about a year ago, and have been really happy with the CC1. BUT, I make mainly espresso, so don't need to froth a lot. The CC1 has a weak (compared to the Silvia) frother. Anemic even. I will froth, but not with the speed and gusto the Silvia brings. I think it makes better espresso though.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am about to pull the trigger on a six cup Chemex and the 65 dollar jiffypop looking stovetop roaster starter kit at Sweet Maria's. I have a ton of tea related stuff but I don't have a gooseneck kettle. I've been using my tea kettle with my clever coffee brewer with good results. However I want to make more than a cup at a time. How big of a deal is not having a fancy kettle if I am using the Chemex? I want to be able to brew in the morning and take a cup or two with me to work.

I've never had trouble brewing in the Chemex with a regular kettle. I also use the 6 cup one.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Chemex are great and I own three for when I want to be special. However the bonavitas on amazon warehouse deals should not be overlooked. Super simple, easy, and as cheap. I use it far more than the chemex lately.

With that said I’ve used goose neck and the regular large spout kettle bonavita makes for larger stuff. Both are fine to use and you’ll learn to control them as needed.

I preferred the popcorn popper rather than the stovetop but both are equally fine. If I had to do it all over again I’d buy a fresh roast or grill rotisserie roaster setup off eBay (for volume). Sweet Maria’s is the best resource in my opinion check out toms stuff on YouTube. A dude wanting to work in coffee (and a job) came through not knowing how big a fan I was and casually dropped he didn’t think sweet Maria’s was good. I laughed in his face. He ended up leaving me a 4.5 star review online. :hurr:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MasterControl posted:

Chemex are great and I own three for when I want to be special. However the bonavitas on amazon warehouse deals should not be overlooked. Super simple, easy, and as cheap. I use it far more than the chemex lately.

With that said I’ve used goose neck and the regular large spout kettle bonavita makes for larger stuff. Both are fine to use and you’ll learn to control them as needed.

I preferred the popcorn popper rather than the stovetop but both are equally fine. If I had to do it all over again I’d buy a fresh roast or grill rotisserie roaster setup off eBay (for volume). Sweet Maria’s is the best resource in my opinion check out toms stuff on YouTube. A dude wanting to work in coffee (and a job) came through not knowing how big a fan I was and casually dropped he didn’t think sweet Maria’s was good. I laughed in his face. He ended up leaving me a 4.5 star review online. :hurr:

How does anyone not like Sweet Maria's? I just went to their warehouse store and picked up 12lbs to fly home with me from my bay area trip.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

porktree posted:

I went from a Silvia (which I ended up fixing anyway) to a CC1 about a year ago, and have been really happy with the CC1.

After years of home roasting and experimenting with various coffee contraptions I was planning on picking up a Silvia to get into espresso. Is the lack of a PID that big of a deal? I like the look of the Silivia, as another goon mentioned, but ultimately I want to make great espresso/drinks so it sounds like the CC1 does just that. Is the CC1 as durable as the Silvia?

What else do I need to know about these two machines?

^^ The only think I don't like about SM is their shipping - but that is mostly because I've been ruined by amazon prime. Living on the other side of the country, I usually buy 10+ lbs at a time just because giving up that one extra pound in shipping is sad.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 23, 2018

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MasterControl posted:

I appreciate the feedback. I finally bought everything last night. I am looking forward to using my grill burner to roast some coffee in the back yard. The chemex will be nice because I find myself wanting to take coffee in my thermos and my clever coffee thing doesn't let me make enough at a time. Now I will be able to make more and 8 lbs of coffee beans should last me a long time too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Their shipping actually did get worse in the last year or two because I now have to walk a few extra blocks to pick up my order at their new location.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just wanted to say that four pages and a few months ago I was just a guy with a skerton and a chemex eyeballing it and doing a decent job. After that I read the whole thread. Now I'm roasting beans, using a refurb encore, weighing poo poo out, and making the best coffee I've ever made.

Thanks thread

edit: 'I like to heat up my mug'

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 23, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ingmar terdman posted:

Just wanted to say that four pages and a few months ago I was just a guy with a skerton and a chemex eyeballing it and doing a decent job. After that I read the whole thread. Now I'm roasting beans, using a refurb encore, weighing poo poo out, and making the best coffee I've ever made.

Thanks thread

Same, except I was a guy with an electric blade grinder and a french press, and now I'm a guy with a skerton and a chemex eyeballing it, though I am weighing properly. :v:

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Question for you all. How much burn is there supposed to be in the back of your throat when you take an espresso shot? I have been using the Flair and I can't seem to make a shot that doesn't burn my throat. I know it's fairly common with light roasts but I just bought a medium to dark roast and there still some burn in there...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
None? You know that you aren't supposed to slam it like a shot of tequila, right?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ThirstyBuck posted:

After years of home roasting and experimenting with various coffee contraptions I was planning on picking up a Silvia to get into espresso. Is the lack of a PID that big of a deal? I like the look of the Silivia, as another goon mentioned, but ultimately I want to make great espresso/drinks so it sounds like the CC1 does just that. Is the CC1 as durable as the Silvia?

What else do I need to know about these two machines?

I had a Silvia for about 8-9 years. It was (is) a tank. I had boiler issues that I ended up repairing but using as an excuse to get a new machine (I was looking at the v2 Silvia and the CC1).

The lack of a PID on the out of the box Silvia is not a huge deal, you can temp surf the brew head/portafilter and get good results. It's not hard, but it's an extra step. The PID on the CC1 is very nice, it maintains the temp, and once the machine is warmed up, you just grind and go. Makes consecutive espressos easy.

I can't speak totally towards durability, after all the Silvia didn't have an issue until it was 9 years old; and I've only had the CC1 for a year but so far there have been no issues.

All in all, I'm happy I went with the CC1 over the Silvia.

RE: Beans, I rotate between Sweetmarias, and Burman; Burman has great pricing, but can have a limited selection. I still find I order from them more often. The dude that runs it is a nice guy also (just like SM).

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

withak posted:

None? You know that you aren't supposed to slam it like a shot of tequila, right?

Haha yes I know. Even tiny sips are not... Good.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

First, what do you mean like a "burn"? Is it acidic, like lemon/lime juice, or is it from heat, or is it like a pepper burn? Have you experienced it with anything but coffee?

Second, describe these shots - what weight of beans are you putting in and what weight of shots are coming out? How long are you pulling a shot for, how long does it take for the "flow" to start up properly, when does the color start markedly changing, etc?

It's most likely that you're underextracting and so getting rather acidic, curt shots, but without knowing more that's just a guess.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey coffee friends, if any of you are in Chicago, Dark Matter has a honey processed Gesha blend right now and it rules as usual. I got a bag of it today and they made me one on pour over. It's drat good stuff.

Dark Matter does a bunch of really interesting experimental stuff too that I've never seen before coming to Chicago, like using different yeasts from beer and wine, or bourbon barrels, to influence the flavor of some of their beans. Their Machete blend uses bourbon barrels and drat if it doesn't taste like coffee with a hint of bourbon. Are there other people doing this? I'm not super well versed in coffee production so maybe it's a common thing that I'm unaware of, but it seems like such a cool idea.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Keret posted:

Hey coffee friends, if any of you are in Chicago, Dark Matter has a honey processed Gesha blend right now and it rules as usual. I got a bag of it today and they made me one on pour over. It's drat good stuff.

Dark Matter does a bunch of really interesting experimental stuff too that I've never seen before coming to Chicago, like using different yeasts from beer and wine, or bourbon barrels, to influence the flavor of some of their beans. Their Machete blend uses bourbon barrels and drat if it doesn't taste like coffee with a hint of bourbon. Are there other people doing this? I'm not super well versed in coffee production so maybe it's a common thing that I'm unaware of, but it seems like such a cool idea.

Every roaster around me (except me) is doing the bourbon barrel aged thing, not sure about the yeast stuff however. I don’t like flavored coffee so I’ve avoided it but people seem to dig it.

Honey along with natural is just another way we will extract the seed from the cherry. It’s essentially two things. A water saving method and then a unique taste. However you taste the process more so than the coffee. Pureist aren’t a fan and in general since I’ve had so many and they all taste the same to me I’m less interested but! The tastes can be amazing. Good to see people exploring it and promoting change. Not forcing farmers or customers into one way isn’t a bad thing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Dark Matter's blog post about the yeast:
https://www.darkmattercoffee.com/blogs/news/experimental-fermented-coffee-year-2

It's interesting, but I do kind of wonder how much they can get to carry over from the fermentation step to the cup. I can't really find any literature out there about it, mostly just stuff about carbonic maceration. It would be interesting to read about, but I would have thought that the byproducts of fermentation would go with any liquid produced and run off. If anyone has any scholarly articles (or adjacent) I'd love to read them. I mostly just find articles about carbonic maceration in wine making.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

MasterControl posted:

Every roaster around me (except me) is doing the bourbon barrel aged thing, not sure about the yeast stuff however. I don’t like flavored coffee so I’ve avoided it but people seem to dig it.

Honey along with natural is just another way we will extract the seed from the cherry. It’s essentially two things. A water saving method and then a unique taste. However you taste the process more so than the coffee. Pureist aren’t a fan and in general since I’ve had so many and they all taste the same to me I’m less interested but! The tastes can be amazing. Good to see people exploring it and promoting change. Not forcing farmers or customers into one way isn’t a bad thing.

It's a really interesting flavor, but I definitely wouldn't have it all the time. Fun to have once in a while. It's just cool to me that people are experimenting.

Thanks for the info about honey processing, it made me realize again that I know very little about the different processing methods and how coffee production works in general. Do you have any suggestions for books/other references about it, by chance?

Also, I'm looking to expand my coffee making inventory at home. For the past few years I've been using my CCD, french press, Moka Pot, and occasionally my big Chemex when friends come over because it makes so much (jk, no one comes over so I never use it). So, I'm thinking about getting something new to round out what I can make, and am considering either a pour over (I have a Bonavita gooseneck kettle) or an Aeropress. Does anyone have suggestions for what would compliment what I already have in terms of the kind of coffee it makes?

I'm honestly really interested in that Flair manual espresso maker as well; being able to make actual espresso at home would be dope. I only have a Capresso Infinity though as my grinder, but apparently that might suffice to start with espresso?

Keret fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 26, 2018

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I just returned my Flair.

I don't think espresso is for me right now and it takes a decent amount of time to make it in the morning. I also don't have the best grinder for it (Virtuoso).

I think I'll use the money to but a Lido E-T. Anybody have one?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Keret posted:

It's a really interesting flavor, but I definitely wouldn't have it all the time. Fun to have once in a while. It's just cool to me that people are experimenting.

Thanks for the info about honey processing, it made me realize again that I know very little about the different processing methods and how coffee production works in general. Do you have any suggestions for books/other references about it, by chance?

Also, I'm looking to expand my coffee making inventory at home. For the past few years I've been using my CCD, french press, Moka Pot, and occasionally my big Chemex when friends come over because it makes so much (jk, no one comes over so I never use it). So, I'm thinking about getting something new to round out what I can make, and am considering either a pour over (I have a Bonavita gooseneck kettle) or an Aeropress. Does anyone have suggestions for what would compliment what I already have in terms of the kind of coffee it makes?

I'm honestly really interested in that Flair manual espresso maker as well; being able to make actual espresso at home would be dope. I only have a Capresso Infinity though as my grinder, but apparently that might suffice to start with espresso?

Feel free to ask either myself or the others in thread! There’s a lot of knowledgeable goons and one idiot (me) who decided to make a career out of it.

world atlas of coffee is pretty beefy with info in a digestible way. Easily my favorite coffee book I’ve read. Im reading dear coffee buyer but that’s more a deep view into my everyday life. It’s more laughing, crying, and nodding than new info. With that said it’s fun and probably interesting to read for new folk. Sprudge put out a book recently and that is probably great. For brewing and cutesy coffee my heart is always stolen by the joe coffee book from joe nyc. Is any of that useful at all?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For any UK people looking for an amazing coffee roaster to order beans from, give https://www.darkartscoffee.co.uk/ a go. Ordered on Saturday, received the coffee today. My favourite coffee hands down is Lost Highway, tastes like snickers / mars bars in coffee form. The smell of the beans is a night and day difference compared to lovely store bought.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Munkaboo posted:

I just returned my Flair.

I don't think espresso is for me right now and it takes a decent amount of time to make it in the morning. I also don't have the best grinder for it (Virtuoso).

I think I'll use the money to but a Lido E-T. Anybody have one?

Maybe you need to tune that Virtuoso up? We had a Lido for about a day and my wife vetoed it. It was cool to use, but I didn't see it grinding finer or better by than the Virtuoso.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Have a Lido 3 and a Virtuoso as well but mostly use the latter because I'm not that awake in the morning. I've used the former as part of a travel setup and it works great for that. Otherwise, save your money.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Well technically it's an Encore with an upgraded M2 burr. Everything I have been reading has been saying the LIDO produces fewer fines than the Virtuoso, are you guys not seeing that?

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 27, 2018

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Keret posted:

Do you use paper filters for the chemex or one of the metal cones? If paper, another pourover device won't make coffee that's much different than the chemex, though it will be easier to make smaller amounts in it. If you use a metal filter then the pourover will make a cleaner, less slick cup as the paper will stop fines better than the cone and will absorb some of the oils.

Aeropress will be a different style to anything you have, as it's full immersion brewing but uses the paper filters so is much cleaner than the french press, and you can also experiment much easier with brewing times, pressing times, etc.. Thing is it really only makes one cup at a time. I really like my aeropress, have one at the office, so I'd push for that.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

JohnCompany posted:

Do you use paper filters for the chemex or one of the metal cones? If paper, another pourover device won't make coffee that's much different than the chemex, though it will be easier to make smaller amounts in it. If you use a metal filter then the pourover will make a cleaner, less slick cup as the paper will stop fines better than the cone and will absorb some of the oils.

Aeropress will be a different style to anything you have, as it's full immersion brewing but uses the paper filters so is much cleaner than the french press, and you can also experiment much easier with brewing times, pressing times, etc.. Thing is it really only makes one cup at a time. I really like my aeropress, have one at the office, so I'd push for that.

I don't know that I agree with that. Chemex/Kalita/V60 are all VERY different.

What are you looking for? You seem to enjoy big bold flavors, so maybe something opposite like a V60?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Munkaboo posted:

I don't know that I agree with that. Chemex/Kalita/V60 are all VERY different.

What are you looking for? You seem to enjoy big bold flavors, so maybe something opposite like a V60?

I've been a big fan of strong flavors for the past few years since really getting into espresso, but lately I've been open to a lighter, more nuanced cup as well. I've found that I especially like bright African coffees and the brighter, more fruity/floral Central American coffees, so those are usually what I have at home, and I wonder if I can bring out different notes from them using something that makes a cleaner brew than what I've been using (the Moka, press pot, and CCD with a metal filter all make pretty heavy cups).

So, I think I'm down to the V60, Kalita, or Aeropress. I'm leaning towards the Aeropress because it could travel well, and Sweet Maria's seems to think the V60 is really finicky when it comes to technique (and I just don't know much about the Wave)?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Our local roaster is having a 29% off special for national coffee day.
https://mayorgaorganics.com
We always get the Muy Macho blend, but everything we've tried from them has always been great.
They sell green coffee too if you're into roasting your own.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My 2012 era Behmor 1600 drum cage is falling apart and replacements are unobtainable anywhere, apparently. Hopefully Sweet Marias will get some more soon. meh

edit: I found one and ordered it on some website called Caffeinee.com but I'm pretty sure they are just going to email me back and say (oh we have to order it since we aren't actually a real storefront and it's out of stock).

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 29, 2018

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I roasted coffee with the Sweet Marie's whirley pop knock off and bean combo they sell. First batch I got too hot too soon and I scorched the beans. Second batch was much better though and now I feel like a scientist with my home roasting setup and Chemex coffee maker. I drank so much coffee this morning I got the caffeine shakes.

Edit- I couldn't get the cheapo thermometer to work for roasting though. I drilled a hole in the lid and stuck it into the pan but the air inside the pot isn't the same temperature as the bottom. I broke down and bought a 20 dollar thermometer gun thing on Amazon so I could get a better approximation.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Keret posted:

I've been a big fan of strong flavors for the past few years since really getting into espresso, but lately I've been open to a lighter, more nuanced cup as well. I've found that I especially like bright African coffees and the brighter, more fruity/floral Central American coffees, so those are usually what I have at home, and I wonder if I can bring out different notes from them using something that makes a cleaner brew than what I've been using (the Moka, press pot, and CCD with a metal filter all make pretty heavy cups).

So, I think I'm down to the V60, Kalita, or Aeropress. I'm leaning towards the Aeropress because it could travel well, and Sweet Maria's seems to think the V60 is really finicky when it comes to technique (and I just don't know much about the Wave)?

V60 will give you the brightest cup out of those options, bar none.