Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

silvergoose posted:

Make Japanese iced coffee instead: about a third of the water is ice instead, make pourover with the rest directly onto the ice, done.

Oh poo poo son, Imma tell my wife she's been doing it JAPANESE style this whole time. She's gonna feel fauncy.

Sextro posted:

Cold Brew is good and you shouldn't waste your time dialing it in.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Walked posted:

Cold brew is great; but it definitely turns out relatively fine even with beans I pick up from Sam's Club. So that's what I do <shrug>

Nitro Cold Brew is real fuckin nice though; that's super enjoyable.

~~~ in my opinion ~~~

YOU MONSTER

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't remember who it was who Sextro (credit where credit is due) posted about cold brew only worth making with regular beans and not fancy, expensive stuff (because of the fact cold brew basically mutes a lot of the flavours etc, which is the main reason you're splurging out on fancy beans, to enjoy and savour those flavours)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApBycDrPo0

You were right. My bad for totally misinterpreting your posts as just mocking cold brew for the sake of it, when really you were trying to educate me on smarter decisions. I also tried Japanese iced coffee and the difference is night and day. I'ma stop making cold brew with my fancy stuff and just use regular store-bought beans, and start making more Japanese iced coffee cause the flavour is Flavor Flav and save the cold brew for lazy days and picnics / outings.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 24, 2019

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I just use my leftover beans that are starting to get stale. Honestly though, I usually wind up making a mess with cold brew so I just make Japanese style cold coffee.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Alright so looking for advice, it's likely I'm completely over thinking this but here goes.....beans to water ratio for a strong French press?
I've seen varying amounts but 50g for 24oz of water. Too much?

Long story short....my lady and I had French press while on vacation. She liked it so much gave me the okay to add another hobby besides my spirits and cigars. Trying to get a smooth tasty cup like we had but drat if I'm not struggling.
I'm currently using a poo poo burr grinder off of Amazon, ordering something better this weekend, but the grind seems to be somewhat consistent.
My beans are Stumptown and the local goon gents who sell. So I know everything is pretty drat fresh there.

Outside of using filtered water I have to think my ratios are just poo poo. Any tips or ideas?
We like strong coffee and I want to enjoy the beans and not just do Nespresso(which we have but meh)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I am lazy and reference this for French press. https://www.evocationcoffee.com/pages/ratio

I usually do 14:1 for my ratio. What's your timing? Are you weighing the grounds? That website does the conversions for you. I don't know if I would describe French press as smooth but I definitely prefer the consistency over my Behmor brewer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like a crazy person with the ratio thing because I love me some strong coffee, but for some reason the ratio recommendations have absolutely never worked out for me. Always ends up ridiculously strong and very obviously far beyond the amount of grounds recommended everywhere else. I must be doing it wrong, I dunno.

But anyway, I'm also a French press guy and I usually do more like a 22:1 ratio. 38-40 g of grounds to 900 mL of water. Even that is a bit stronger than I used to make it, as I used to follow the manufacturer recommendation of 4 "scoops" and this is closer to 6.

Maybe there's a space/time anomaly in my crawlspace affecting the gravitational constant or something

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I weigh the grounds and use a 4 minute timer. I pour some water, enough to cover the grounds, break the crust after 30 seconds then add the remainder of my water

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Using the right grinder for French press was just as important for its good flavor as other prep methods for me. Took it from ‘meh coffee’ to tasting like coffee. I also have much less sludge because of the better grind which helps the flavor to be less harsh.

I do 16:1 for usually 3:30” with 30-45s bloom, but you’ll just have to try ratios and time variations until you find what you like. Best to only change one at a time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like a crazy person with the ratio thing because I love me some strong coffee, but for some reason the ratio recommendations have absolutely never worked out for me. Always ends up ridiculously strong and very obviously far beyond the amount of grounds recommended everywhere else. I must be doing it wrong, I dunno.

But anyway, I'm also a French press guy and I usually do more like a 22:1 ratio. 38-40 g of grounds to 900 mL of water. Even that is a bit stronger than I used to make it, as I used to follow the manufacturer recommendation of 4 "scoops" and this is closer to 6.

Maybe there's a space/time anomaly in my crawlspace affecting the gravitational constant or something

Maybe you're grinding too fine or uneven

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Way upthread someone posted a completely different French press recipe that involved using a medium-fine grind, waiting 10 minutes (stirring after 5) and being very careful when pouring to avoid getting grounds in the cup (only pushing the plunger halfway down, otherwise not disturbing the settled grounds in the coffee).

I'm probably not remembering all the details correctly, but I tried it and it worked quite well. Anyone recall what I'm talking about?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

HappyHippo posted:

Way upthread someone posted a completely different French press recipe that involved using a medium-fine grind, waiting 10 minutes (stirring after 5) and being very careful when pouring to avoid getting grounds in the cup (only pushing the plunger halfway down, otherwise not disturbing the settled grounds in the coffee).

I'm probably not remembering all the details correctly, but I tried it and it worked quite well. Anyone recall what I'm talking about?

It's also called "cowboy" coffee where you don't plunge basically
James Hoffmann has a video on it:
https://youtu.be/st571DYYTR8

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh word, I have a big rear end French press (1500 ml) and usually eyeball about 80 g. Just got back into homeroasting again with my decrepit SR500 and one roast session is generally good for one pot. If you use some of the calculators online the minimum recommendation for that much coffee out of a French press is like 120 g which is ridiculous.

Burr grinders definitely make a difference, I've tried my cheap rear end blade grinder next to my cheap rear end burr grinder and the burr coffee is miles better. It's amazing how much the grinder makes a difference, I thought it was bullshit for years until upgrading recently.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I had not heard of that so I tried it this afternoon. It turned out a completely different cup of coffee and it was very delicious. Only downside is that it takes 10 minutes, but sometimes that just won't matter.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

No I agree with you. 70g per liter, which several online guides refer to as a good starting point seems very strong to me. I don't know if they just use very coarse grounds, but I never managed to produce a good result with that much coffee. I use 45g in a 1l French press now, which is about 22:1 as well.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I believe this was the recipe I was talking about, thanks!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

May sound weird but how can I determine sour versus stale?

I will admit I have not been as attentive or motivated as I should be so I generally 40 oz roughly into 80 g of coffee to fill a thermos and drink a fresh cup and then a cup a day later. The next day my coffee is still warm in the thermos but is usually more tart. I'm guessing this is staleness and not sour from my brewing process as I don't usually notice in the day 1 cup? if I was getting sour flavor would I notice almost immediately?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

^burtle posted:

May sound weird but how can I determine sour versus stale?

I will admit I have not been as attentive or motivated as I should be so I generally 40 oz roughly into 80 g of coffee to fill a thermos and drink a fresh cup and then a cup a day later. The next day my coffee is still warm in the thermos but is usually more tart. I'm guessing this is staleness and not sour from my brewing process as I don't usually notice in the day 1 cup? if I was getting sour flavor would I notice almost immediately?

Pretty sure that’s quinic acid, which increases perceived acidity as coffee sits. So it tastes sour because it’s stale.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just moved into a new place and currently have nothing to brew coffee with. How updated is the OP? I'm looking to go drip - is there a huge difference between something like the Bonavita BV1901TS and the Technivorm Moccamaster? What about the Ninja one, is that any good?

Also, what's the general consensus on grinders? If I had a budget, should I go with a more expensive grinder and cheaper drip machine or vice versa? Best pair for $400? $500?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Seattle Coffee Gear does a decent comparison https://youtu.be/Xme-rQLmBYM on the two brands. The warranties are 2 years vs 5 respectively. I don't trust that ninja stuff build quality. I would probably go Encore grinder with the Bonavita

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I went through this not too long ago. I used to do pour over or CCD until my schedule changed that I needed a drip for the morning to save 10 minutes with boiling water etc. For a grinder 200 is the top you'll need for drip, above is espresso. The Ninja ones seem to be hit or miss regarding if they'll delivery based on blog reviews. Some say they hit good temps, some do not. I end up liking the style of the bonavita. Before i can pour out coffee you *have* to put on the pour lid and clean out the spent beans. With previous machines I've had with a separate basket I've inevitably left grounds sitting and forgotten about them which I cannot imagine doesn't effect the next brew(s). The one you linked uses basket filters though, while the mocha and 5 a cup/20 oz version of the bonavita use #4's if that matters.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

angor posted:

Just moved into a new place and currently have nothing to brew coffee with. How updated is the OP? I'm looking to go drip - is there a huge difference between something like the Bonavita BV1901TS and the Technivorm Moccamaster? What about the Ninja one, is that any good?

Also, what's the general consensus on grinders? If I had a budget, should I go with a more expensive grinder and cheaper drip machine or vice versa? Best pair for $400? $500?

More expensive grinder for sure. You could spend less than $30 bucks on something to brew the coffee and come away with a great cup. If I was on a budget, I'd get a really good grinder and use a Clever Dripper or French Press until I could afford a brewer. And that Bonavita is a very good brewer. If you have money to burn a Moccamaster is stylish as hell, but it's a luxury item.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Someone buy the nuwave machine. Supposedly hits the right brew temps, but has an as seen on TV feel.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I'm selling my brand new in box Breville Barista Touch Espresso Machine over in SA-Mart if anyone is interested -- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889421 -- Make me an offer!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hi thread, I roast my own and I've been a simple cheap manual grinder + pour over guy for many years. I've always considered the manual grinding and pouring a nice, meditative part of my morning. However now we have a baby and have less time and drink a LOT of coffee each morning. So I'm considering a nice auto drip.

Are there any that are nice, but cheaper than the $190 one in the op? Like one step down maybe?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

alnilam posted:

Hi thread, I roast my own and I've been a simple cheap manual grinder + pour over guy for many years. I've always considered the manual grinding and pouring a nice, meditative part of my morning. However now we have a baby and have less time and drink a LOT of coffee each morning. So I'm considering a nice auto drip.

Are there any that are nice, but cheaper than the $190 one in the op? Like one step down maybe?

I like the zojirushi. https://tinyurl.com/y4k84nom

fakedit- wow, they've got a higher end model that ain't cheap.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get a Bonavita auto drip for $60 on Amazon. The main concern is if the water gets hot enough and they work fine.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
So I just went on vacation and just started drinking cortados. Any way to make that at home, with just a pot? I also have a bodum 3 cup French press

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

vuk83 posted:

So I just went on vacation and just started drinking cortados. Any way to make that at home, with just a pot? I also have a bodum 3 cup French press

I googled these and now I want one very much.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

silvergoose posted:

I googled these and now I want one very much.

Its really good, like an espresso but with some of the acidity cut.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What I'm wondering is if moka pot coffee would work in that context...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s pretty much what I make anytime I’m putting steamed milk in my espresso. You could definitely do that with a moka pot since you’re really just needing to heat the milk.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cortado is by far my favorite espresso drink, and so many cafes don't know them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't it just a mini cappucino. Just ask for less milk.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

silvergoose posted:

What I'm wondering is if moka pot coffee would work in that context...

Yup. Just put a little milk in a sauce pan at the same time you start your moka pot and you'll be set.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Any good moka pots for induction. Cheap is also a quality

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The milk in the cortado is just barely steamed, there's not really texture to it. A flat white is going to have textured milk like you should be getting in a latte. Capuccino should have a lot more of the foam, and the cortado basically just has warmed milk.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the coffee shops I go to the capp and latte have identical milk texture. There's no thick foam on them. Never had a flat white but the pictures look pretty similar to me.

Also the milk with microfoam makes coffee so good.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

vuk83 posted:

Any good moka pots for induction. Cheap is also a quality

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067WCM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Instead of a mokapot for induction, is a regular moka pot with an induction heating plate good enough? And are there any moka pots that are dishwasher proof?