Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

vuk83 posted:

Instead of a mokapot for induction, is a regular moka pot with an induction heating plate good enough? And are there any moka pots that are dishwasher proof?

Put it in the dishwasher next to your cast iron pot you god drat heathen.

But srsly by the time you've broken the thing down to put it into the washer you could have cleaned it if you did it under a running tap. Just rinse it after it cools down and maybe wipe the surfaces when you remember to. Don't put it in the dishwasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Anyone have recommendations for a ~$40 grinder? I really don't grind my own coffee any more because the Black & Decker fake burr grinder I have is a PITA to clean. I'd rather toss it and get something else to grind the random bag of coffee beans I occasionally get gifted.

I mean, this might be dumb, but can you do it with a food processor? I already grind stuff with it (oatmeal to oat flour, various nuts into butters, hummus), so is there any reason it wouldn't work?

E: Oh, and this would be for various coarse grind stuff, drip pot, aero press, french press, percolator, cold brew.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

QuarkMartial posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a ~$40 grinder? I really don't grind my own coffee any more because the Black & Decker fake burr grinder I have is a PITA to clean. I'd rather toss it and get something else to grind the random bag of coffee beans I occasionally get gifted.

I mean, this might be dumb, but can you do it with a food processor? I already grind stuff with it (oatmeal to oat flour, various nuts into butters, hummus), so is there any reason it wouldn't work?

E: Oh, and this would be for various coarse grind stuff, drip pot, aero press, french press, percolator, cold brew.

I can only assume your food processor has metal blades, which are way too "choppy" rather than "grindy", and I seriously doubt it would be an improvement over even a crappy coffee grinder. At best it would probably produce an extremely uneven grind size unless you pulverized the beans into powder, which you said you didn't want.

You might be dead set on an electric one, but just in case you're not, I use this manual one:
Bassani Home Manual Ceramic Burr Coffee Bean Grinder 
It takes a few minutes per cup, but it's really not bad. And it doesn't really seem to need to be cleaned much. I'm sure some people are adamant about it, but honestly I clean it like once every 2 months.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'll second this. I have a different stainless Bialetti from like a decade ago and it works great on an induction cooktop. It's more expensive because the usual material for moka pots is aluminum.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Sir Lemming posted:

I can only assume your food processor has metal blades, which are way too "choppy" rather than "grindy", and I seriously doubt it would be an improvement over even a crappy coffee grinder. At best it would probably produce an extremely uneven grind size unless you pulverized the beans into powder, which you said you didn't want.

You might be dead set on an electric one, but just in case you're not, I use this manual one:
Bassani Home Manual Ceramic Burr Coffee Bean Grinder 
It takes a few minutes per cup, but it's really not bad. And it doesn't really seem to need to be cleaned much. I'm sure some people are adamant about it, but honestly I clean it like once every 2 months.

Looks like a winner to me. Thanks!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The other day I decided to treat myself to a new espresso machine. I’ve been using a Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista ‘auto’ machine for the last year or so, and it’s been ok for my caffeination needs but certainly an underwhelming experience generally.

After some research I decided I’d be quite happy with a Gaggia Classic. New ones are around $400 new, so I was looking on eBay at used ones, which go for closer to half that. There were also a couple ‘for parts’ ones that were sub-$100 and parts for these machines are easy to come by. I made a couple best-offers for some broken ones, but didn’t get a quick response, so I bid on a nice one with some upgrades for $300 shipped. Then the other two accepted my offers. So now I have three.

One of the broken machines had a loving rock hard portafilter gasket, it wasn’t making any type of seal, and the screen was gross, and it was missing the water pickup hose. Replaced those and she’s working great. The other machine was described as “leaking from the top” so I assumed it was a similar issue. Turns out the boiler was cracked. But it’s just a $20 part and an o-ring. Otherwise this machine looks brand new and almost unused. The working one I got has a different steaming wand and an upgraded screen, and a thermometer that the guy was using for temp surfing. And a bottomless portafilter, which I’ve never used.

I have been happily using Illy pre-ground espresso, but the new machine has revealed the flaws in using that, particularly with the bottomless portafilter. Getting lots of channeling, and the extraction is a little too fast. So I decided I’ll get a grinder, too.

Good grinders are loving expensive. Again, as a cheap rear end I was looking at used stuff on eBay. The best popular entry level home grinders seem to be the Rancilio Rocky and the Baratza Sette 270. Both retail for $4-500, but used you can knock a couple hundred off that. I decided not to try to be grinder repair man this time and just buy a working one that’s ready to go. A Rocky pops up for $250 shipped, so I pounced. A few days later it arrives completely smashed. The dude packed it like a chump, and USPS did their dirty.

But I’m almost out of Illy, and I got some whole beans in preparation for my grinder, so what’s the responsible thing to do? Spend twice as much on a different grinder? Yep, that’s what I did. Ended up ordering a Quamar M80e doserless, manufacturer refurb for $475. It’s about $100 less than a new one. Lots of good reviews and happy owners from what I can tell, and a nice upgrade from the Rocky I never got to use.

I’m also thinking about adding PIDs to the Gaggias, since I can put it together for about $50 (compared to the Auger kit for $200) and it seems to add a fair bit to the price I can sell them for. Anybody want to buy a PID Gaggia?. I bought a five-pack of enclosures so I could make a couple extra kits to sell too.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

A hand grinder that can do decent espresso will be much cheaper than the options you posted. Try one of those to start?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Capresso infinity or the Baratza Encore?

Need a real grinder vs the spice blade grinder I've been rocking. I use a French Press and looking to grab a Clever Dripper. Espresso machine one day

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have an Infinity and I'd say to get the Encore. The Infinity works great but it retains so much coffee in the burrs and top chamber that it makes it really annoying to do single servings for, say, an Aeropress or a Clever Dripper.

Edit: I don't think either grinder will go fine enough for espresso.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have an infinity as well, but have zero issues with coffee getting stuck on the burrs or hopper. I was expecting a little to be getting stuck on the outfeed tray, but even that’s been minimal and I just brush it off. It comes apart easy enough to just brush off the burrs too, but maybe it will get worse with time. I do run grinder cleaner through my grinders and that probably helps.

Works great for my French press, but I wouldn’t use it for espresso ever. I don’t like my espresso grinder for French press grinding though either.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Jhet posted:

I have an infinity as well, but have zero issues with coffee getting stuck on the burrs or hopper. I was expecting a little to be getting stuck on the outfeed tray, but even that’s been minimal and I just brush it off. It comes apart easy enough to just brush off the burrs too, but maybe it will get worse with time. I do run grinder cleaner through my grinders and that probably helps.

Works great for my French press, but I wouldn’t use it for espresso ever. I don’t like my espresso grinder for French press grinding though either.

Man, I wonder if it's climate or what. The top burr on mine is caked with like a gram and a half of coffee every time. It's trivial to brush it off into the tray, but when I'm in a hurry in the morning I'd love to be able to just grind the coffee and be on my way.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I just run Grindz from Urnex once a month on a medium setting and it stays running great. My Rocky gets more buildup, but that’s a byproduct of the darker roasts that get used there. I don’t use much past a medium roast in the Infinity.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You can put a Virtuoso burr into an Encore, iirc, and that'll do espresso.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Big Bidness posted:

More expensive grinder for sure. You could spend less than $30 bucks on something to brew the coffee and come away with a great cup. If I was on a budget, I'd get a really good grinder and use a Clever Dripper or French Press until I could afford a brewer. And that Bonavita is a very good brewer. If you have money to burn a Moccamaster is stylish as hell, but it's a luxury item.

I went with a Baratza Encore and the Bonavita. Loving this setup, thanks for your help!

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Went with the Encore, thank you for the responses. Waiting for that, my clever dripper and June's Angel Cup box. Good times

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Definitely buy the virtuoso burr and throw it in there - it's a big upgrade for little cost

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Munkaboo posted:

Definitely buy the virtuoso burr and throw it in there - it's a big upgrade for little cost

That's my plan, now, after seeing the post about that being an option

Quick aside, its often been mentioned in this thread the vast difference between a blade grinder and a burr grinder.
Well
Seeing is believing. The difference in my French press this morning is literally night and day. I like to do the "cowboy" method which takes around 9 to 10 minutes. The amount that has naturally floated to the bottom after breaking the crust is HUGE compared to the blade grinder. Can't wait to taste my cup

Edit: annnnnnd.....the bitter taste I've had in every cup, no matter which roaster, is gone. Amazing

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 1, 2019

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Edit: annnnnnd.....the bitter taste I've had in every cup, no matter which roaster, is gone. Amazing

No more overextracting half of your coffee mince, hooray! I'd been using a crappy Mr Coffee "burr" grinder before I switched that part to the Infinity. It really was a huge difference and now I reach for my French Press as much as I reach for any other method. I expect I might even be happier with what comes out of my drip machine if I were to ever use it.

Also, good call on switching the burrs, I didn't even realize that was an option.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Went with the Encore, thank you for the responses. Waiting for that, my clever dripper and June's Angel Cup box. Good times

Looked up Angel's Cup because I've been looking for a decently priced subscription service. Yowza. It's not that I don't think there are coffees worth that price, but that's steep. Are they worth that money for 12 oz bags?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Many people don’t realize that coffee used to, and should, come in 16oz bags. I think it’s more the grocery shrink ray thing than anything else.

Count down to “but it’s fresher if you get it in smaller bags” in 3... 2... 1...

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

People complained too much when it cost $22 for their 16oz bag of coffee, so we repackaged in 10oz bags and sold for $15 and suddenly the complaints stopped.

E: I'd like to say it is because we, as a whole, should be paying more for coffee than we currently do to better support the producers, but its mostly because "your local roaster" is a small business which means the owner has any number of brain problems that means they must hoard every penny unto themselves for personal profit or because they can't run a business well and have obscenely tight margins.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 1, 2019

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sextro posted:

People complained too much when it cost $22 for their 16oz bag of coffee, so we repackaged in 10oz bags and sold for $15 and suddenly the complaints stopped.

I think this is why the best (and most expensive) of my local roasters does 12oz packages instead of pounds. Sticker shock is a bitch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A local grocery started roasting beans and sells 12oz bags for $10 and it's great. I miss when coffee was even cheaper.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
My local shop isn't very good, overpriced, and doesn't have a set roasting schedule. I'd love to have a place to buy local, but ultimately I'm saving money and getting better coffee with a subscription.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My local roaster is typically $17 for a bag but gives 10% off if you come back within a week which helps justify the purchase in my mind. My grocery store does sell its own bags of coffee for $10, but the local roaster is worth a dollar a day.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Buy from Royal Mile. Goon operated. Incredible coffee.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lowness 72 posted:

Buy from Royal Mile. Goon operated. Incredible coffee.

I like them...but their subscription is only monthly as I recall.

edit: We go through about a pound a week. So, 64 ounces, which would be buying 6 12 ounce bags, and getting all that at once is a way to get stale coffee. Ideally, a weekly delivery of a pound works best, or 3 12 ounce bags every 2 weeks, but haven't found anyplace I want to do that with yet.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 1, 2019

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What is the difference in taste between coffee brewed in a Moka pot and and aero press?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

torgeaux posted:

Looked up Angel's Cup because I've been looking for a decently priced subscription service. Yowza. It's not that I don't think there are coffees worth that price, but that's steep. Are they worth that money for 12 oz bags?

My palate is poo poo vs when I drink spirits. So Angel's cup let's me do some blind taste test and I enjoy nerding out that way.
I do half a bag at a time, so I end up getting 8 French Press, 630 or so grams of water each "serving", worth of coffee out of the box. My lady and I do it together and we enjoy trying to see what we taste.
That being said, I don't have a local roaster nearby besides Black Rifle Coffee. I have not tried them yet.
I tend to order from Royale Mile, goon operated, for my other coffee needs. That will likely change when I get my own roaster.

So, all of that being said. Do I think 25 bucks for effectively 16 cups of coffee is worthwhile?
For me currently.....yes. I am working on how I taste coffee, it's a nerdy thing I enjoy and I am trying things I would not be able to otherwise.

Would I pay that all the time? Absolutely not. That's why I supplement my coffee via other people who are cheaper. There are multiple online vendors I would like to try but I'm not paying 18 to 25 bucks for 12oz of coffee beans from a single source. I just can't justify that currently as Angel's Cup I'm trying a variety in a blind way

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have been using Tim Wendelboe's Aeropress method for a while (14 grams coffee finely ground, 200 grams water just off the boil, 1 minutes steep with a couple stirs at the beginning and end) and I really like it but I have never been able to detect tasting notes that people talk about. I can tell that there's a difference between different beans that I buy, but it's hard for me to really quantify those differences.

If I start from Tim's recipe, what's a good direction to go with beans that are supposed to be fruit-forward. Lower the brewing temperature significantly?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tiny Chalupa posted:

My palate is poo poo vs when I drink spirits. So Angel's cup let's me do some blind taste test and I enjoy nerding out that way.
I do half a bag at a time, so I end up getting 8 French Press, 630 or so grams of water each "serving", worth of coffee out of the box. My lady and I do it together and we enjoy trying to see what we taste.
That being said, I don't have a local roaster nearby besides Black Rifle Coffee. I have not tried them yet.
I tend to order from Royale Mile, goon operated, for my other coffee needs. That will likely change when I get my own roaster.

So, all of that being said. Do I think 25 bucks for effectively 16 cups of coffee is worthwhile?
For me currently.....yes. I am working on how I taste coffee, it's a nerdy thing I enjoy and I am trying things I would not be able to otherwise.

Would I pay that all the time? Absolutely not. That's why I supplement my coffee via other people who are cheaper. There are multiple online vendors I would like to try but I'm not paying 18 to 25 bucks for 12oz of coffee beans from a single source. I just can't justify that currently as Angel's Cup I'm trying a variety in a blind way

That makes sense. The idea of the tasting flight is intriguing to me, too. Luckily, the local Safeway roasts, so I can get fresh roasted (but not that great quality) beans any time. And a local coffee shop roasts really good beans, but I have to hit them right to get them fresh.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Are things like this insulated french press a complete gimmick? my understanding is that you pour the coffee out into a separate container after brewing so that the coffee doesn't just continue to seep in the grounds and get progressively bitter, but this one appears to advertise people using it as a carafe.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

RichterIX posted:

I have been using Tim Wendelboe's Aeropress method for a while (14 grams coffee finely ground, 200 grams water just off the boil, 1 minutes steep with a couple stirs at the beginning and end) and I really like it but I have never been able to detect tasting notes that people talk about. I can tell that there's a difference between different beans that I buy, but it's hard for me to really quantify those differences.

If I start from Tim's recipe, what's a good direction to go with beans that are supposed to be fruit-forward. Lower the brewing temperature significantly?

I'm sure I'm committing sacrilege by saying this, but I gave up measuring temperature after settling into the following routine:

1) water to boil, off then sit for 30s-1m~.
2) Pour just enough to saturate it and start a bloom. Typically I need to stir a little because there's a dry pocket stuck at the bottom. Wait about another 20-30s or whenever the gassing off slows down significantly.
3) pour til full, hitting the dark spots with a slow pour. You shouldn't see any grinds and instead it'll be a thin layer of foam.
4) Wait 2m40s, flip and press.

I use a full scoop and then a little more. Somewhere around 16-17g usually. Inverted. Moderate to fine grind. Roast varies from light-medium to medium. was doing slightly lower temps and shorter steep times but found the cupping inconsistent. If I didn't get it, it might be grassy/earthy/bitter. If I did, it was faint or simply not as forward as I wanted. A few edge cases where it was, especially towards the start of a bag but it followed a pretty clear curve over the following two weeks.

I sorta stumbled towards this process but now that I follow it, tasting notes are regular visitors and I can consistently get the fruit to come out. Good beans and freshness are best but I've gotten perfectly palatable results otherwise.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'll give it a shot! I've tried so many different Aeropress recipes over the years but haven't been good about keeping track about what effect different changes have made.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Fano posted:

Are things like this insulated french press a complete gimmick? my understanding is that you pour the coffee out into a separate container after brewing so that the coffee doesn't just continue to seep in the grounds and get progressively bitter, but this one appears to advertise people using it as a carafe.

I think the benefit of an insulated French press would be to have the water maintain its temperature throughout the brew process

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The main reason I bought an insulated stainless French press is because it was about the same price as glass and it can’t get broken when someone builds a trap in the dish rack so that if you breath on it wrong it will collapse.

Works the same, and you should warm you vessel either way before brewing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I have milk frother questions.

Let's say I'm considering getting one for work, because all I have at work is some lovely Boston bean co machine, and a Nespresso and I'm thinking I can turn Nespresso into better using a frother.

Is that silly?

Are the manual ones where you push a plunger down a bunch any good? Are they less loud than the electric wand thing?

Is this something that will truly turn Nespresso into something like a capp?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I generally think at the $20 price point the press pot style frother (or you can just use a clean french press) is better than similarly priced wands. Spend more $$ and various electric options become significantly more functional though. Also Nespresso is great, bring your own pods if you really want a good time.

https://us.colonnacoffee.com/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah the pods are fine, I just want more options.

Cool, thanks. How loud are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

They're all going to be quieter than the nespresso itself. The biggest upgrade is if you step up to something that heats the milk as well as frothing it.