Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

rockcity posted:

Again, both of those cap out at around a pound per batch. It is physically not possible to roast 100lbs per day in either of them, unless you live on a planet with more than 24 hours in a day. I wouldn't be buying anything that did maybe less than 5lbs at a time and even then you're looking at 20 batches. 10lb batches would probably be more ideal. I'd look at used larger roasters if I were you.

Fair Enough.

Realistically speaking, my startup is very small, I am basically doing cup testing at this point, and doing taste batches. I am not doing anything commercial at this point, I probably roast 1-4 bags of 1lbs of coffee every couple of days. What I wanted to do was buy something I could grow with, and when I it was feasable go for a 5K roaster... which at this point there is no way I can acquire one.

The other reason I was pursuing this model, was because I wanted a programmable roaster. Behemor while practical for my immediate needs, only allows you to use the presents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tempus Thales posted:

Fair Enough.

Realistically speaking, my startup is very small, I am basically doing cup testing at this point, and doing taste batches. I am not doing anything commercial at this point, I probably roast 1-4 bags of 1lbs of coffee every couple of days. What I wanted to do was buy something I could grow with, and when I it was feasable go for a 5K roaster... which at this point there is no way I can acquire one.

The other reason I was pursuing this model, was because I wanted a programmable roaster. Behemor while practical for my immediate needs, only allows you to use the presents.

The Hot Top and the Huky both have a solid reputation for their programmability, they’re just not meant to be anything but a test batch system for a commercial roasted or just a very nice home roaster. You probably couldn’t or wouldn’t want to push more than 20lbs through one in a day and even that would probably take 10 straight hours of use. I don’t even know if they’re robust enough to run with zero resting for that long of a period of time or how soon it would die doing so.

You might want to consider one of those for now with the plans to sell it when you decide to try to scale a little bigger. I’d looking at the used market at that point. Goon MasterControl is definitely your best resource here for larger models. I’m sure he’ll chime in on this.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

rockcity posted:

You might want to consider one of those for now with the plans to sell it when you decide to try to scale a little bigger. I’d looking at the used market at that point. Goon MasterControl is definitely your best resource here for larger models. I’m sure he’ll chime in on this.

That is my plan, I am going to be soft launching by next summer, and I have it in my plans to sooner(tm) than later graduate to a 5k lbs roaster as business picks up... it wouldnt make any sense to buy out the door a bigger roaster at the early beginning... I know MasterControl used a Huky 500 when he was very first starting.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Keret posted:

Separately, what grinder/brewer combo do you all use for travel? I'll be traveling for 3 weeks in the winter and I intend to take some of my roasted coffee to prepare for friends who I'm staying with at the beginning of the trip. Previously I've traveled with my Moka Pot, but that was because it was given to me as a gift while already traveling. I love that it is effectively indestructible, but it needs a burner which can be problematic.

I'm leaning towards the Porlex Mini or the Hario Mini for the grinder. I like that the Porlex is stainless steel, but Hario seems to make good stuff. Can anyone comment on those two, or other tiny-format grinders for travel?

As for the brewer, I'm considering the Aeropress but honestly I don't like the design very much. If it's way better than other options for traveling I'll probably pick one up though. I love my V60, but its finickiness with pouring kind of rules it out. I've been meaning to check out the Kalita Wave; would a small version of the metal style be a good choice?

You can make pseudo-espresso pretty well with an Aeropress for the cost of like $30, so even if you get an Aeropress and hate it, it's a cheap loss and you can probably regift it with no complaints. I got an Aergrind for it over the Porlex, apparently the Porlex has some small issues but you might not notice for $60 or whatever it runs. I bring this with me when I travel to somewhere with suspect coffee:

I had a question on this setup too. If I'm just making normal drip/pourover style coffee (not espresso), what size / style of metal mesh should I use? I'm using metal because this is basically just a travel setup and it makes it easier to manage. I'm using a mesh filter but I've heard of some people using other types

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 24, 2019

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can make pseudo-espresso pretty well with an Aeropress for the cost of like $30, so even if you get an Aeropress and hate it, it's a cheap loss and you can probably regift it with no complaints. I got an Aergrind for it over the Porlex, apparently the Porlex has some small issues but you might not notice for $60 or whatever it runs. I bring this with me when I travel to somewhere with suspect coffee:

This is my travel slash camping setup and it is awesome.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Everybody posted:

Get an Aeropress

Well okay, that's that then. It does look ideal for carrying around paired with a mini grinder.

That Aergrind looks really dope, but what sets it apart from the Porlex or a Rhinowares mini grinder and justifies the price tag? Is it easier to grind with? I'm willing to invest more in a better product to have long term, but an extra hundo is a lot of scratch to throw down.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can’t you just rent a commercial roaster at a local place? The Bodhi Leaf near me has a big Dietrich roaster that sits idle most of the time, and nearly every time I’ve seen it in use, it’s by someone renting it for a few hours to roast their own batch, even for commercial use.

Chiming In late and a few people mention the things I would say but this comment pops up from Time to time with well meaning people and worth explaining from a few viewpoints. one is its a liability both on my insurance and then subletting your lease. Commercial is not residential lease and i got burnt acting that way. Courts treat stuff very differently. Same with insurance.

Next is what if you break my 27k ir-12 where all my revenue stems from it being operational every single because you don’t want to spend money on your new home business? I’d share with a roaster I know who happens to be homeless for whatever reason after them signing some serious liability documents written up by my lawyer. And that’s like three people I’d trust to do that with, some random person? No chance.

If someone is basement install or shed installing good luck finding contractors to do commercial work like that in residential spots. Next is your house is most likely zoned residential and if your neighbor complains or someone a block away complains about 250 to 1000! Pounds a week good luck explaining that to the city who will be pissed someone is operating heavy commercial smack in the middle of residential when they come knocking. I stink up a three block radius. They’ll find out.

Lastly If someone is willing to buy 1000lb from a basement operation with out commercial permits and zoning I’d walk. Something shady there when there are hundreds of options across the country doing things easily above board. But that’s just me, my state and county, and my personal beliefs on business. I’ve heard every reason under the sun how someone else is different and I’m missing out and things are different in their town because they know someone and got a deal or whatever.

Business is hard, buyers come and go, markets shift, plus coffee roasting is grueling manuel labor that wears you down. once you’re in you’re locked in for years just to pay off the initial investment with the downside being financial ruin. home roasting is great, I’d be happy that as my hobby right now.

To some of the posters points: I’ve been scouring eBay and all the message boards since day one just to get a feel for pricing over the years. In 2019 Starting point for machines not on eBay is about 10k to get a 5lb a load machine which does 250 12oz a day- roughly speaking. I guess you could get the joke glass roaster sonofreacos and do electric but everyone who started moved off of them very quickly. Used market goes fast and you need cash upfront. Add 5k for vent and gas install along with months of waiting. I’m hitting 35grand for mine. If you got cash to piss away like that be smart and don’t Start a business in a mostly saturated commodity world. Hell go study hvac you’ll make More money than I do. Sure working for myself is ok but I had a narrow window, the good fortune of a lot of goons helping over the years, a cheap warehouse space, and a connection to a larger grocer with opportunity. Any of those not there and I fail. Hell, I still can.

Edit: one final point. I huky roasted at the start in 2014 when it was just online and a few hours a week I could shed roast 10-15 pounds. Sometimes 20-30. You cannot scale. When I sold to places, I upgraded to the mill city 1kilo and screwed myself for four years roasting 30-40 hours just to crank out a few hundred pounds. Most I ever did was 980 in one week and that was 6am-8pm roast days 7 in a row. It sucked and you’re stuck roasting when you need to be selling. If you’re moving 1k a week you need to be on 15lb roasters and 5k a week (who the hell is buying that much at once from a non main brand!) you need to have two 60lb probats, or lorings since at that size you’re making a massive smell across your area, a team of 5-10 production, a van and about a 3,000sq foot warehouse for a cool quarter million to half million.

Edit 2: sorry if any of that comes across negative or pushing back to not start. There’s all kinds of routes and deals and options I could never imagine. I only know my lane and my friends/colleagues lanes. If you can make it work, go for it.

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 25, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MasterControl posted:

Chiming In late and a few people mention the things I would say but this comment pops up from Time to time with well meaning people and worth explaining from a few viewpoints. one is its a liability both on my insurance and then subletting your lease. Commercial is not residential lease and i got burnt acting that way. Courts treat stuff very differently. Same with insurance.

Next is what if you break my 27k ir-12 where all my revenue stems from it being operational every single because you don’t want to spend money on your new home business? I’d share with a roaster I know who happens to be homeless for whatever reason after them signing some serious liability documents written up by my lawyer. And that’s like three people I’d trust to do that with, some random person? No chance.

If someone is basement install or shed installing good luck finding contractors to do commercial work like that in residential spots. Next is your house is most likely zoned residential and if your neighbor complains or someone a block away complains about 250 to 1000! Pounds a week good luck explaining that to the city who will be pissed someone is operating heavy commercial smack in the middle of residential when they come knocking. I stink up a three block radius. They’ll find out.

Lastly If someone is willing to buy 1000lb from a basement operation with out commercial permits and zoning I’d walk. Something shady there when there are hundreds of options across the country doing things easily above board. But that’s just me, my state and county, and my personal beliefs on business. I’ve heard every reason under the sun how someone else is different and I’m missing out and things are different in their town because they know someone and got a deal or whatever.

Business is hard, buyers come and go, markets shift, plus coffee roasting is grueling manuel labor that wears you down. once you’re in you’re locked in for years just to pay off the initial investment with the downside being financial ruin. home roasting is great, I’d be happy that as my hobby right now.

To some of the posters points: I’ve been scouring eBay and all the message boards since day one just to get a feel for pricing over the years. In 2019 Starting point for machines not on eBay is about 10k to get a 5lb a load machine which does 250 12oz a day- roughly speaking. I guess you could get the joke glass roaster sonofreacos and do electric but everyone who started moved off of them very quickly. Used market goes fast and you need cash upfront. Add 5k for vent and gas install along with months of waiting. I’m hitting 35grand for mine. If you got cash to piss away like that be smart and don’t Start a business in a mostly saturated commodity world. Hell go study hvac you’ll make More money than I do. Sure working for myself is ok but I had a narrow window, the good fortune of a lot of goons helping over the years, a cheap warehouse space, and a connection to a larger grocer with opportunity. Any of those not there and I fail. Hell, I still can.

Edit: one final point. I huky roasted at the start in 2014 when it was just online and a few hours a week I could shed roast 10-15 pounds. Sometimes 20-30. You cannot scale. When I sold to places, I upgraded to the mill city 1kilo and screwed myself for four years roasting 30-40 hours just to crank out a few hundred pounds. Most I ever did was 980 in one week and that was 6am-8pm roast days 7 in a row. It sucked and you’re stuck roasting when you need to be selling. If you’re moving 1k a week you need to be on 15lb roasters and 5k a week (who the hell is buying that much at once from a non main brand!) you need to have two 60lb probats, or lorings since at that size you’re making a massive smell across your area, a team of 5-10 production, a van and about a 3,000sq foot warehouse for a cool quarter million to half million.

Edit 2: sorry if any of that comes across negative or pushing back to not start. There’s all kinds of routes and deals and options I could never imagine. I only know my lane and my friends/colleagues lanes. If you can make it work, go for it.

Roasted!

We love you dude.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Epic post, thanks.

I have no doubt that the ‘borrowing’ agreement at my local shop came with mounds of legal paperwork. I think it was more of the “temporarily homeless roaster friend” option than them helping a competitor or something. Was also clearly for commercial use.

Regarding home use, some places do allow for cottage industries to be run out of the house and are still inspected and licensed properly. My Mom had a home run commercial Bakery under some such law, and coffee roasting was another option for that program. YMMV of course.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I can only buy so much coffee from you any given week.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Ok coffee thread, I’ve decided on the following course of action for home espresso:

1. Pick up a Lido E grinder for both French press with later espresso applications
2. Buy a Flair Pro manual espresso machine
3. Pick up some really good freshly roasted espresso coffee
4. Dial-in my settings and figure out what the gently caress I’m doing

It’ll be like 500 total, which isn’t too bad for an at-home setup given that some of the home systems can cost an easy G+. The Lido grinder should give me a lot of freedom for different brew styles.

Thank you again for the advice!

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Ok coffee thread, I’ve decided on the following course of action for home espresso:

1. Pick up a Lido E grinder for both French press with later espresso applications

It’ll be like 500 total, which isn’t too bad for an at-home setup given that some of the home systems can cost an easy G+. The Lido grinder should give me a lot of freedom for different brew styles.

Dude I think you're honestly going to love that set up. Flair Pro got me more into espresso than any food/drink I've ever tasted and I really went off the deep end after that.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I am also interested in this set-up, but I've already got a grinder, the Baratza Encore. I read on their website you can use it for espresso if you adjust it to allow for finer particle range...what do you coffee spergs think? I guess the worst that will happen is I make bad espresso til I cave and buy a LIDO.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

got some chores tonight posted:

I am also interested in this set-up, but I've already got a grinder, the Baratza Encore. I read on their website you can use it for espresso if you adjust it to allow for finer particle range...what do you coffee spergs think? I guess the worst that will happen is I make bad espresso til I cave and buy a LIDO.

I make espresso out of my encore every day.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
^^^^ yep, that’s what everyone was saying

I did a bunch of reading on this. The Encore is probably just fine, but the real drawback is that because its steps aren’t very granular, you get fairly broad changes in grind. For a truly awesome espresso (so I read) being able to fine-tune steps up or down on the grind based on the qualities of the bean matters. I went with the LIDO based on the comments I read on Reddit and on here, but since you already have an Encore I’d try that first. It’s probably gonna be pretty great.

But of course I defer to the brain trust...

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 31, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Here's good old Gail to show you how- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ppWc9RsPAk

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Thanks for the reassurances. I did try to look on the Baratza website for how to adjust, but their link was broken. Gail to the rescue! :allears: I'll give it a try once we pony up for the Flair.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Opening up the Encore isn't for the faint of heart because you feel like the plastic case is going to break. I've done it one time in my life and I won't do it again.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Opening up the Encore isn't for the faint of heart because you feel like the plastic case is going to break. I've done it one time in my life and I won't do it again.

If it breaks you just go out and buy a new espresso grinder, problem solved :smugmrgw:

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I know this gets discussed with regularity, but going back through a bunch of pages is :effort:; what is everyone's go-to method for cold-brew concentrate?

I have the following to use in this venture:

A bunch of roasted beans
Mason jars and a fine mesh strainer
An 8-cup Chemex and paper filters
A Large-sized CCD and paper/metal filters
A 12oz french press

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Keret posted:

A bunch of roasted beans
Mason jars and a fine mesh strainer

I honestly like to just toss partial bags in with older bags of stuff from the grocery store that I get for $5. I also have a lot of mason jars, so this is the ideal method for me. I tend to decant after the first filter with a mesh strainer to get rid of some of the sludge. It doesn't need to be perfectly clean, but I get better flavor when doing the second round if you're drinking it straight. If you're looking for something to mix with milk and sugar too, then I don't bother with the decanting because then the coffee cuts through stronger.

All your methods would work fine, but mason jars fit in the fridge the best.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Crosspostin’ from TBB recommendation thread:

terre packet posted:

Can anyone recommend a book on the history of coffee and the modern-day coffee industry? Specifically about how the industry takes advantage of coffee farmers and how things came to be this way.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Beans were on sale so we bought two bags. Would keeping one refrigerated help it last longer while we go through the other bag?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

HappyHippo posted:

Beans were on sale so we bought two bags. Would keeping one refrigerated help it last longer while we go through the other bag?

No. Freezing, yes. Or maybe no. The science on this keeps shifting. But definitely not fridge.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Would vacuum sealing the entire bag make a difference?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Majority of home-sealing-plastic bags are oxygen porous and provides minimal benefit for coffee preservation. Also the co2 outgassing will present a challenge.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hey you got some old beans perfect for cold brew

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Honestly, even month old specialty beans are delicious if flat.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
We'll probably go through both bags within a month anyway, just wanted to know if I could extend the freshness slightly

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sextro posted:

Also the co2 outgassing will present a challenge.

This is why I am growing more and more tempted to vacuum seal like 50 pounds of green beans and locking them in the basement for the dystopian coffee-less future.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

http://www.georgehowellcoffee.com/knowledge/notes-from-george/

Lotta good talk about age and preservation methods here.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
I can't remember what article this was from but the big factor was actually direct sunlight when it came to bean storage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Interesting. So he says you should freeze the beans immediately after opening the bag. You can then grind whatever you need without defrosting or letting it get to room temperature. Howell says all the single origin beans are kept frozen in his cafes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kodo posted:

I can't remember what article this was from but the big factor was actually direct sunlight when it came to bean storage.

That shouldn't ever be a problem for a goon.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Mr. Mambold posted:

That shouldn't ever be a problem for a goon.

:golfclap:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hey coffee Thread, are there any nespresso pods in the aftermarket that are worth buying?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

In the US, Peet's pods are decent enough and recyclable. I wish we had European prices on Nespresso pods

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

https://colonnacoffee.com/

These guys are good and tasty.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sextro posted:

https://colonnacoffee.com/

These guys are good and tasty.

$15 for an 8 ounce bag. No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

torgeaux posted:

$15 for an 8 ounce bag. No thanks.

Specifically referencing their 3rd party Nespresso pods. Also the entire supply chain probably needs to pay more for coffee.