Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So, I've been using a Camano coffee mill with a moka pot for a while and was pretty happy with the results, but thanks to this thread I've ended up with a Chemex, and then an Aeropress, and now last night I even ventured into uncharted territory with some home roasting:

The first batch turned out a little darker than I wanted, and the second batch a little lighter, but I think a few more cracks at it and I'll have a handle on the process. I wasn't sure if I'd really be able to notice the difference, but fresh-ground, fresh-roasted really is so much better. I've been using the Chemex at work, and I actually had people this morning walking by my desk and commenting on how good my coffee smelled! It's hilarious how much of a difference it makes.

So, thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I picked this up earlier today from a guy off craigslist on the cheap:

It's the made-in-Japan version, brand new in the box and sealed. He'd bought it from a defunct restaurant supply store that went under, thinking it was for tea. :downs:

There's a local coffee shop here that uses these guys and they look cool as hell while they're brewing but I've never actually used one myself. I've read that alot of people are using re-usable glass drains out of Cona siphons in the Yama and Hario brewers. Anybody in here use one of these before?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Have you guys got any thoughts on Expobar espresso units? I want to replace my old thermoblock Krups unit, and I was thinking of upgrading to a Rancilio Silvia but I was talking to a guy who's selling his Expobar Office Pulser for about the same price. From what I've read, it's an E61 head which is supposed to be awesome? and it seems like the unit has overall better build quality in general, so I'm kind of waffling back and forth between a new Silvia or this used Expobar.

ephori fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 26, 2012

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

G-III posted:

Chiming in as an rancilio silvia v3 owner: the silvia is a finicky machine and you really have to get your grind and tamp right to get a good shot. It's also a single boiler machine (not sure if the Expobar is a single or a double) which means you have to temperature surf between making espresso and steamed milk.

The major plus to the Rancilio is that it can be easily modded to enhance its functionality. The need to temperature surf can go away with the addition of a modded PID which will allow you to consistently regulate the boiler temp and thus create more consistent shots out of the machine.

Of course after all that's said and done, a modded rancilio silvia and a high end grinder will cost you upwards of about $1400+ if you're buying new equipment. The irony for me is that while I love the espresso my silvia makes, I fell in love with a whole different method of making coffee. Boiling coffee in an ibrik to make turkish coffee. I love turkish coffee and it's funny how ridiculously easy it is to make.
You tipped me over the edge! You prompted me to do some more reading, and while I was debating on the Expobar, a Silvia showed up for sale in my area and I pounced impulsively.

I don't think it's a V3, as it doesn't have the articulating steam wand or the newer pressure knob, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's a monumental upgrade over my previous rig. I had no idea how much better espresso could be-- and I know I'm not even pulling particularly good shots yet (by anyone else's measure), but wow, it's so much better than what I was doing before. Even the bad shots are a whole other level compared to what I'm used to.

Now I just need to find myself a better grinder. I have a Krups burr grinder that isn't completely terrible, but it's definitely not measuring up anymore. I also need to get the hang of steaming; I don't normally add milk to anything, but I had my parents over on the weekend and I struggled to steam the milk properly. It ended up hot with a thick swatch of immovable foam floating on top, and not the 'microfroth' that's supposed to pour ever-so-gently from the pitcher. Any tips or good videos for technique? The cappucinos I made for my folks looked nothing like the one up above there.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

gwrtheyrn posted:

Not to sound like a vulture, but what are you going to do with your old machine?
I gave it to my parents.. but trust me, you didn't want it. :)

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am going to get blasted for asking this, but what is the most economical grinder I can get for making espresso? I have a Hario hand grinder and I am just not capable of getting a good grind from it. It is always too fine or too coarse!

Is the Baratza Preciso for $300 where things start to get good for espresso grinds? The Maestro and Virtuoso are not recommended for espresso, correct?

Is a Rancilio Rocky worth spending just a few bucks more than a Preciso?

I would also definitely take a look on craigslist. I just got a used Rancilio MD50 for $375. Feels like there's a coffee shop going out of business around here every other week clearing out their pro machines.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So what is the weight of coffee beans to weight of hot water I want? I'm going to take my first step into weighted brewing for our afternoon coffees.
If you've got an iPhone or iPad, I like Brew Control for reference.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

dema posted:

Just ordered one of these to control the power to my espresso machine:
Belkin WeMo Home Automation Switch for Apple iPhone

Hopefully it works well.

I've been using one of these with my Silvia for awhile and it works awesome. Totally recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I actually do exactly that-- I have a Silvia at home, and I take an Aeropress and a hand grinder with me when I travel. It rules, and is totally worth the trouble. Those Aeropresses in your post are the same. Aerobie invented it, so that's definitely not a knockoff.