Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just the standard blend. And I like it because it tastes like good New Orleans chicory coffee but with a deeper, richer taste to it. And I want to figure out how to roast it at home so that it will be even better.

Speaking of chicory, I have some fantastic childhood memories of drinking it but I'm not sure if I should pick up a can. Does it need to be au lait or can I drink it black first thing in the morning? What should I get if I want to do a trial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
Has anyone used tonx.org or could recommend a coffee-by-mail service? I'm thinking about asking for a Tonx membership for Xmas. All I want is something that's an improvement on supermarket whole bean bags.

E: I would love to visit a local roaster but Torrance, California is an empty sea of chains.

Copernic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 30, 2011

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

a handful of dust posted:

Thanks, that actually helps. There are a lot of variables to play with, especially if you're used to something like a Keurig. Wasted a tons of beans, but it's getting there. I can actually discern flavor notes other than burnt(starbucks)now.

I picked up Trader Joes Dark French Roast because it was $5 and I was curious. Not just French Roast, by the way. DARK french roast.

It smells like burning. Not dark roasted beans, or even like Starbucks. Like, a campfire. The next morning. Tasting notes of ashes, char, popcorn accidentally microwaved for a half-hour because you hosed up the timer and then fell asleep.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

Coffee is the New Wine

Lets take all the worst parts of wine snobbery and apply them to COFFEE.

Basically this article made me feel like a douchebag.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

So a NYT reporter spends three days learning to pull espresso like a nerd. And after an entire weekend of hardcore coffee geekery it turns out that:

quote:

Great, I am improving. But this is impractical. I buy my coffee preground. I don’t own a scale.

...no one ever told him that he had to grind immediately before brewing for decent results.