Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

foxxtrot posted:

It should take a little while, but it sounds like you might have the tamper screwed down too tight.

Late to the party, but I've been told by multiple Vietnamese and Cambodian people that the screw thread's just there to gently caress with you and screwing it down any is screwing it down too tight.

Having actually weighed out Trung Nguyen grounds like a nerd, I'd tend to agree: if you're using the prescribed 20g of coffee for a standard-sized phin, you're going to be level with or slightly above the screw on most designs (convenient!) and probably not going to be screwing anything down even if you wanted to.

Scoop, tamp without screwing, wet pour, brew pour, done. Brews on exactly the timeline the bag/can suggests, and tastes like Vietnamese coffee. My initial filter came with some ridiculously convoluted instructions about how many times to unscrew and screw it, and I experimented with varying amounts of screwing and unscrewing (and various filters) for months, but nothing's ever brewed better Viet coffee than just pretending the drat things don't have a screw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
My parents had the same jar of Brim in their camping supplies from the time I was a wee toddler in the 80s until last year.

Occasionally it still got used.

It was... better than no coffee, I guess.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Frankston posted:

I find myself using my french press more and more these days because it's imo the quickest and easiest way to make coffee and I can't be bothered with all the faffing that comes with pourover.

All that faffing about is what keeps you from forgetting you have coffee brewing!

Frankston posted:

Saying that, can anyone give recommendations for a good cafetiere or is it a case of "they're all pretty much the same thing don't spend more than £10 on one you dummy".

Bodum's got the market on lock pretty much worldwide and their replacement parts are widely available. Unless you hate all of their designs, just buy a Bodum at nearly any shop.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Jhet posted:

I know very little about the science of coffee brewing, but using a centrifuge to extract seems at the very least a novel idea.

Nespresso is centrifuging Centrifusioning™ coffee today, and just like Spinn, it only works with coffee you buy from them!

(Nestle actually licensed Spinn's "centrifuge coffee to make espresso" patent, but unlike Spinn, they have functional designs and buyable products on the market to show for it.)

Cool idea to be sure, but it's looking like preground aluminum pods will be the only way to experience it unless you're feeling particularly motivated for a kitchen mad science lab.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Original ship date was 2017 and then moved to first quarter 2018. Looks like people have been waiting 3 years

Yeah, I joined their "community" back before it went invite-only, but didn't preorder because it didn't sound even then like they knew what the gently caress they were doing.

And, uh, they clearly don't know what the gently caress they're doing. They're pulling a Juicero and making the whole goddamn thing from totally bespoke components, but unlike Juicero, they don't employ any competent engineers to offer deep design insights like "gears turn both ways," "motors interfere with radios," "heat must go somewhere," or "people live above sea level."

The latest news in their slow-motion train wreck is that last month — last month, on a product they somehow expected to ship a year ago — they discovered their magical bespoke brewing system (a) doesn't wet all the grounds, (b) doesn't evenly extract the grounds it does wet, and (c) is incapable of wetting the grounds for espresso, the thing that's supposed to be the keystone feature of the whole machine.

Bonus points: The guy who actually invented the drat thing left the company last year.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 4, 2018

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

I've been looking to get a gooseneck kettle to use with my Chemex; I had looked at the Fellow Stagg, but I've been hearing mixed reports about its long-term reliability. Is it worth shelling out for, or should I look at a Hario Fit? And are there recommended vendors for coffee equipment up in the Great White North?

Most of the recent reliability complaints I've seen are from people who think the handle is supposed to be riveted or tack welded. It's not; it's screwed on and designed to be fixable and replaceable.

They also initially shipped with plastic lids, which some people were heating to distortion on some stoves. Newer lids are metal. They also put out retrofit metal lids for the original kettles.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

My Fellow coffee container arrived.

Ooh, lucky. I've been lazily trying to buy one since they launched, but every time I look they've only got the tiny ones.

Including today. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

RichterIX posted:

I use my scale plugged into AC so it can't be battery, I dunno why it's so sensitive to heat.

Cheapass applications of science!

Most scales are built around a strain gauge, which is more or less a big flexible hunk of foil and glue. It measures weight through the way its electrical properties change as it's deformed. Dramatic temperature changes will, as you might expect, also deform the strain gauge and/or change its electrical properties, especially with cheaper designs using cheaper materials. They may also change the electrical properties of the cheap electronics reading the strain gauge output. (Your typical kitchen scale is, as you might expect, not a bastion of high-tech, high-resilience scale design.)

Fancier scales deal with this through more insulation or less volatile materials or fancier electronics, but on your standard scale it's easily solved by throwing on a coaster, as you've discovered. On my scale, the weight's roughly stable when heated but the auto-off timer runs at about triple realtime, proving coasters have many useful applications. :v: