Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Gentle Marmot posted:

1. I got the Haario slim grinder mentioned in the OP but it was kind of a pain in the rear end. I think I may have ground the coffee way too fine though. I am going to make a coarser grind in the hope that it make it easier but this wont last. I need me an electric grinder, I am going to order one of the baratza refurbished grinders on their site. I cant wait. How coarse can I make the coffee in an aeropress, I am thinking pretty coarse but really is there a good picture of how it should look or feel exactly?

2. The aeropress rocked. I really liked the cup it made. I have some questions though, how big is the scooper that it comes with? Also does anybody know how much water exactly the numbers on the sides represent?

1. Last time I wanted my beans grounded, the guy at my usual coffee shop told me they use one step finer than drip/filter for aeropress. Too coarse and you'll just get weak coffee.

2. I think it's supposed to translate to your average espresso shot, so 1oz / 30ml.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Alceste posted:

The Aeropress makes the best coffee of any device I've tried, hands down, and it was wonderfully cheap. It's easy to use and easy to clean. The only thing I don't like about it is how inefficient it is with beans--I have to load it way up to make a good Americano, like half as many beans as I'd use for a 10-cup pot in the Mr. Coffee. So it's a rare treat for me. Also the recommended brewing temperature is a little on the low side so unless you brew over a double walled, pre-heated stainless mug, it will cool off fast.

Pretty sure you're using too coarse grind. The AP makers recommend one step finer than for drip.

The temperature isn't a problem, you just need cooler water for the brewing :

- boil water
- let it cool down
- pour enough for water for as many cups you want into the press
- put the rest of the water back on the stove / turn kettle back on / whatever
- stir for 15 seconds and press the concentrate
- fill cup with hot water

If you're filling the whole press with water for one cup, you're doing it wrong. It seriously ruins the whole process. I know because inspired by some dumb youtube video I did this for awhile. :downs:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Corla Plankun posted:

You forgot about cat poo poo coffee!

I had some in my usual coffee shop. I think it was 9 euros / cup. The chick dumped the grounds in an aeropress and filled it to the brim with hot as gently caress water from their espresso machine.

15 minutes later I was still trying to down the bitter and burnt tasting muck in front of the shop.

"So you like it?"
"Sure................... :smith: "

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Bob_McBob posted:

First, leave your coffee out of the fridge.

I keep seeing different opinions about this. I recently got myself a grinder and been storing the beans in the fridge, because the guys at my coffee shop told me to do that with preground.

So what's the best way? :can: Their bags have a tiny valve to remove condensation I guess.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Keyser S0ze posted:

Got the Bonavita from Prima today and test drove it at lunch. Very nice 8 cup unit with the thermo carafe and if one was so inclined, you could probably just stick a V60 and tall mug under it and have it do the pourover for you if you wanted a quick fix.

My first test running a 4 cup batch through the Bonavita resulted in 150 degrees in the coffee in the carafe. I really expected it to be much higher considering this unit is supposed to brew over 200 degrees F. In contrast my existing Capresso will have a consistent 160 degrees in the carafe.

I bought one with a glass carafe today (except here the brand name is Melitta) to replace my ancient and lovely Philips. :hfive:

My first test brew resulted in a half cup of ridiculously strong muck. I measured water for two cups of coffee (according to the machine) and ground two Aeropress scoops of beans, which was probably too much.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Gravity Pike posted:

That being said, I'd love to hear some of the thread's favorite Aeropress methods, because I'm almost definitely doing it wrong.

Every time I try some fancy upside down technique with my Aero the result is terrible. I don't understand why people make up this stuff.

I've never had any problem with the manufacturers method, so I should really stop listening to people who think they know better. They actually researched this stuff, they don't suggest it just to gently caress with you.

If you still end up with a bad cup, you're probably using too coarse or fine ground. It has to be a little bit finer than for drip.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Right, so how much by weight/volume should I use for coldbrew then? For the record I like my coffee a tad on the stronger side. I use about ~15 g of grinds for about a mug of coffee. Dunno how big the mug is cause I've never bothered to measure it, but all of our coffee mugs in this flat are around the same size.

The 1:3 by volume rule for cold brewing works just fine in my opinion, like said before, it's a very forgiving method. The tricks I've found to give the best results, is to grind the beans quite fine (couple of steps finer than filter). Combine water and coffee, let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then stir it once more, then leave it for 24 hours in room temperature.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's been about 12 hours sitting in my kitchen out of of sun, and I looked and it looks like all of the coffee grounds are concentrated at the bottom. I plan to give it another 12–20 hours, should I be stirring it periodically, or just let it be?

I usually shake around the container lightly a few times during the brewing, but it's nothing to worry too much about.

The point of stirring after waiting for a bit, is because usually a bunch of grounds will rise to the surface, you want to get them mixed properly with the water too.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
There was a rock in the last batch of beans I bought from my usual coffee shop and it screwed up my grinder (Wilfa CGR-1, I believe it's sold as Breville BCG450XL in the US).

I took the grinder back and they just told me the rocks are a common thing and that they're going to send it back to the importer. They promised to call me back and it's still under warranty, so I should at least a new grinder, but is it really true about the rocks? How do they get mixed with the beans and shouldn't the roaster check for stuff like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do people recommend such short brewing times for an Aeropress (less than a minute) while the Clever Dripper needs 3-4 minutes? ANd does anyone else really dislike the idea of diluting the coffee from the Aeropress with more water after making it?

Probably because people generally use finer grind with AP? Slightly finer than drip is the common recommendation.

After trying countless techniques, I've found my favorite to be basically this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ics7oymw8

Except I usually do it inverted.