Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I've been doing some roasting in my oven on a cookie sheet lately with some good success. Been about 2 months or so and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Not a huge fan of the smoke though so I was looking at a drum roaster with smoke suppression. Specifically the Behmore 1600Plus.

Anyone have any comments on how much smoke comes out? I could do that on my balcony if it's a tiny bit / on my counter since the exhaust fans in my kitchen are pretty decent. They're not good enough to prevent me from having to worry about the smoke alarm going off when I do it in the oven though.

Most reviews say it's awesome so I'm not too concerned that I'll be dissapointed, but I also don't want to spend 350 bucks for something that doesn't contain the smoke at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Cool - that's what I was hoping to hear.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I don't know many people that liked the taste of coffee right off the bat if that helps.

There are lots of caffeinated drinks though - you can also do caffeine pills as well.

I've never heard anyone compare it to skunk poo poo though...

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Roasting question:

Currently running a behmore 1600 and have had fine luck with it for just over two years now. Starting to get to the point where I'm annoyed with displays and the rigidity of the program and how annoying it is to deviate from it.

It's fine but was curious if the thread has any recommendations for upgrades? I roast 1lb green every 5-6 days or so. That's definitely at the top of the range for the behmore and I should probably be doing less per batch. Ideally I'd like to see something with a bit larger capacity so I can more easily do 1lb batches.

I was looking at the Bullet but was curious if there were other suggestions? I'm in an apartment so my options are electric only. I mean really people do fine on a stove top and my roaster is working well so it's not a huge deal - just haven't seen much and they really get pretty expensive quite fast. Hard to justify it when a pan or my behmore works well enough.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

eke out posted:

there's also the gene cafe and the hot top, both of which are cheaper than a bullet and i think upgrades relative to the behmor? but are still only in the 1/2lb range

not an expert or anything but i think moving up to a pound or more without using gas is just going to be a big price jump regardless, since that size seems to be generally marketed towards existing businesses that want a sample roaster or really high-end consumers

Yeah, that amount of money will buy a lot of roasted coffee. Thanks for the recs there - might just look more into the gene cafe/hot top.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

mediaphage posted:

when you talk about the rigidity and deviation, what are you trying to do, out of curiosity? obviously you can't quite dial things in like you can on some of the alternatives. logging software aside, my biggest complaint with the behmor is just that i wish it had more displays of temperature at all times.

Mainly it's that the temperature readouts, drum speed, and the roast profiles aren't really discernable from the panel. I'd think I'd be happier working in terms of numbers rather than "start p1, hold A until temp reads xxxx, hit p5, don't let it overheat, then move back to p1". I don't do this currently but just run at p1, but if I wanted more control I think this is gonna be a headache.

I've found that my 1lb roasts are taking 18-20 minutes and I'm noticing that things are tasting pretty samey between different beans. I gave it a real thorough clean and have been better about preheating lately though.

Ed Jurak posted:

You may have already made your decision but I quite liked going from a Behmor/Gene Cafe to a Bullet. I really started to dislike not having temp readouts on both of my previous roasters, and I never did the amounts you did because the roasts would just not get enough heat.

This is awesome, thanks for the input! I'm glad to hear it's working so we'll. I would like to do more roasting for friends / gifts / whatever and I think that would benefit from a higher throughput significantly.

How do you handle the smoke? Do you duct it out or are you roasting in a garage? The behmore does a good enough job so that my smoke alarm doesn't go off in the apartment (1lb to a bit past first crack usually) but I think it technically has some smoke suppression built in.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Yeah I really think it's terrible smoke wise as well. I have a feeling it's better than when I used to do it on the stove, but I haven't done that for a while so I can't remember.

I don't think it's a bad roaster at all and I've enjoyed doing this for the past couple of years. Just starting to get the itch to upgrade to something that is more similar to a professional roaster.

Don't ever plan to sell coffee or work as a roaster but I think there are a good amount of benefits to the bullet. But pretty drat expensive still. Would be harder to break even with something like the bullet (as a justification for the expense, enjoyment of the hobby and personal growth or whatever not taken into consideration).

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

eke out posted:

i found a good alternative for you: https://zcroasters.com/buy/mini-sniper-m2-coffee-roaster-300g/

lmao look at this thing

Freshly roasted coffee will bring us all together.

Ed Jurak posted:

So I originally 3D printed the adapter for the duct to vent out of my window as I wanted to roast next to my computer.

This is what I was probably going to do and vent it out the window. Just an issue for winter roasting really.

Thanks for the response though, maybe this is finally what pushes me to buy a house. Jk still can't afford them in my area.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Roasting chat : decided to order a Bullet to replace the Behmor I've been using for 3-ish years.

Pretty excited to ramp up the scale of my home roasting and be the coffee guy in the holiday season...

November delivery is the estimated time from Docent but who knows when it'll happen.

Edit: nothing like a huge purchase like this to trigger all sorts of bad with money buyer's remorse but ah well, it'll pay for itself if coffee costs 15bucks per pound.... Right??

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
My wife really likes warm foamed milk in her drip coffee.

I've used this style and it works fine for what we need.

I'm on my second one of them in a few years though. The one linked lasted for about 2, then the most recent one lasted about 10 months. Slightly different version.

Thought it was because I got water on the switch while cleaning it for the first one, second one dying makes me think it's just cheap garbage.

Recs? Adding in a manual microwave / French press or other handheld wand bit is a bit too much for me to deal with.