Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
If I make cold brew using becoming's recipe, can I filter it using Melita filters, or should I use Chemex, or somehow use my Aeropress? Also do I need to take it out right around 12 hours and filter or can it sit longer with the beans inside the water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remember
Nov 23, 2006
http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Lower-Bearing-UPGRADE-KIT-for-Hario-Skerton-Kyocera-CM50-Hand-Grinders_p_4066.html

This mod is supposed to make the Hario much better for coarser grinds, I don't have either a Hario or the mod so I can't really comment on the effectiveness.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

porktree posted:

Whats the current goon approve $100-150 grinder for using mainly with a CCD? I want to get one for my daughter.

Looks like at that price you have the Capresso Infinity, Baratza Encore, and Bodum Bistro. The Bodum is kind of weird and impractical. The Baratza is 40 dollars more than the Infinity and is supposed to be "better".

remember
Nov 23, 2006

porktree posted:

Thanks everyone - Baratza it is - $129 shipped from Amazon vs a refurb from Baratza at $99 plus shipping; I'm thinking net net, with shipping it's going to be within $15 so will go with new.

When I looked like a month or two ago, with shipping the refurb was like 129.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
I have a dumb question, I've been using pour over at home but I bought a French press recently. Can I use the French press to make any amount of coffee or is it like pour over where you want to stick with a certain serving size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remember
Nov 23, 2006
I’m looking to buy a grinder for only espresso. I’m thinking a budget around $600 but I’m flexible and fine with not spending my full budget if there isn’t a huge benefit. I’ve been looking at the Eureka Manuale, zero, specialita, Baratza Vario+, Sette 270 and Malhkonig x54 but leaning towards the X54. How stupid would it be for me to get a used Mazzer Super Jolly if I buy a used one for $300-350 or so? I’d probably eventually replace the burrs so might aim for one that needs a burr replacement for cheaper. I’m not so much concerned about zero retention but I don’t want so much retention that I’ll have issues every morning. I have a Gaggia Classic Pro it’d be paired with. I’m currently used a Breville Smart Grinder Pro that I’m fine with using in the meantime so I’m in no rush. I pull 2-3 shots for myself everyday and a couple more on a weekend day sometimes.