Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Hi thread,

So my old school flat-burr cusinart grinder finally is kicking the bucket and I'd like to upgrade to something newer. I ordered a capresso infinity (plastic one) and it really feels cheap to me, like I'm going to break this thing in a few days. Am I expecting too much out of this price point (~$150)? Is the stainless steel model capresso/baratza encore a better buy for long term use?

I really only use it for drip in the morning and the occasional French press so I don't need anything fancy or over the top. I've read enough on here to know I'm not interested in buying something espresso-capable for home.

The other option is to just get another cusinart...they even make a conical version of this thing. I've had mine for like 8 years and used it literally daily with pretty great results, never skipping a beat 'till this week, these things seem to be built like tanks...

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Sydin posted:

The Baratza Encore is probably what you want, yeah. It's not as nice as the Virtuoso but it's only $140 and is a fantastic and reliable burr grinder for the price point. You can sometimes find refurbs for cheaper on the Baratza site too, but it's fairly rare.

This is what I sort of thought... Is the virtuoso worth the extra $$? There is a refurbished one in their website.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

rockcity posted:

Seconded. I had one I used for at least 6 years before I decided to get something better for espresso. My brother has it now and it still runs fine after a decade.

Yeah, that's me...i get choice paralysis, and I've been bit in the rear end one too many times trying to find a bargain. Ultimately, I ended up coughing up the cash for the virtuoso... A refurbished one would have only been 30 bucks cheaper after shipping so I figured why not just get a brand new one. Going through Amazon, I'll have it before next week.

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

kim jong-illin posted:

You can swap out the Encore's conical burr for the Virtuoso's as well, which improves the grind distribution a bit (less fines). They use the same ring burr otherwise so the only reason to buy a Virtuoso over an Encore is if you want a metal body rather than plastic.

I don't think it's available in the US but the Wilfa Svart is the hot new thing here (Europe) that's becoming a very popular entry-level electric grinder for all non-espresso brew methods. It's also cheaper than the Encore because it's coming from Sweden rather than the US.

Well poo poo. If I return it to get the encore to save myself 100 bucks, my wife is going to get annoyed at my impulse buying bullshit....

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I had an encore motor fail on me within a year. I upgraded to the virtuoso and it's run like a champ ever since. Three days without coffee, what's that worth? Peace of mind, right?

So wise... I'm just going to pretend that this was my only option until questioned further...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yeah, most likely. Maybe the motor broke loose from the housing, I can't recall. But, I still had to give that other poster some justification.

Thanks. (The virtuoso is great, looks nice, feels solid, the wife thinks it was a good purchase)