Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJ2kzNwoSw

René Redzepi, head chef at Noma, talks about the lessons learned after implementing a world class coffee program at his two-Michelin star restaurant. A choice quote: "Messing with peoples coffee is some of the most hosed up, crazy things we've ever done. It's insane. What type of people are you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

More pics/some story on that here http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/first-look-saint-frank-coffee-in-san-francisco/

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

If anyone is in New York, pop into Bluebird and try Coffee Supreme's offering this weekend. They're my local and do some really nice stuff.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Any recommendations for places to check out in Brisbane & environs?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

There's a cafe in Toronto called Te Aro that keeps their cold brew in kegs, and I really want to go check it out, but I haven't had the chance yet.

Do you know if the people who own it are Kiwis? Te Aro is (one of) the weird arty hipster suburbs in Wellington, the coffee-est place in NZ.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Miko posted:

I wouldn't hate on the hand grinders, I have a Porlex mini mill that suits me well (and I've done some tinkering with it to keep that floaty burr consistent). If you're just doing this coffee thing for yourself in the mornings, its really not that bad. Don't get the skerton, because even though it has more load to grind in, you can't just go nuts on it or coffee will fly everyone because of the open top. The Hario mini mill is good and a cheaper alternative for small grinds.

If you're doing for even one extra person, just go with a electric grinder, though.

Newer Skertons ship with a silicon-y lid with a hole for the crank to prevent that. I made a thing out of duct tape for the same purpose.

I assume the Porlex is still better than the Skerton in terms of out-of-the-box large-grind consistency?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

nwin posted:

Warning: Keurig/Nespresso post incoming

Isn't Keurig introducing some new DRM-esque thing with their new systems? You'll wanna be careful if you do get one that it's not going to refuse to function with your refillable doohickey.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

mr. yolk posted:

The filters are pretty drat cheap though. $4 for 350 filters. I mean, you can friggin compost them if you feel so bad about your waste. If you drink one a day, that's pretty much a year supply.

It's still pretty much a year supply if you drink 10 a day and reuse them.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I keep hearing about putting coconut oil in coffee - does anyone have any thoughts on that?

I did this (w/ OMG UNSALTED GRASS FED butter) on the weekend and it was awful. True, it made me not feel like eating as the articles claimed, but that was mostly because it was vile and I wanted to barf.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Did you use a high powered blender?

Yeah it all emulsified properly but was just nasty.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I read someone added an egg yolk for extra healthy oil etc etc, that would greatly help stabilising the emulsification.

Or mustard, but you've have to be brave to try that.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Fluo posted:

Stocked up on a handful of coffees to discover my drip machine has died :negative: I've seen scouting for one which isn't out of budget. I was wanting to ask if this would be good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melitta-667...ords=Technivorm

It's probably OK? It looks like a clone of a Moccamaster, and is apparently "approved" by the ECBC in the same manner that the Moccamaster is approved by the SCAA - should mean it ticks the proper boxes in terms of water heat and brew duration.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

wangvicous posted:

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Lower-Bearing-UPGRADE-KIT-for-Hario-Skerton-Kyocera-CM50-Hand-Grinders_p_4066.html

This mod is supposed to make the Hario much better for coarser grinds, I don't have either a Hario or the mod so I can't really comment on the effectiveness.

Make sure you have a nice thin socket set - mine couldn't re-tighten the nut properly because the socket walls were too thick to get inside the recession in the ceramic.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

inferis posted:

What's the general rule on brewing old rear end coffee? I have some beans that are a month old or something and I want to use them up before I get more. Should I have a longer or shorter brew time with older beans?

I use old stuff for cold brew because the age doesn't show through so much.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

becoming posted:

Getting a nut milk bag will allow you to squeeze the concentrate out of the grounds. You'll never recover it all, but it helps.

I did some maths on cold brew yield; they are somewhere in this thread, so search my posts and you'll find it. I'll dig it up in a bit, feeling really lazy right now.

I'm not sure how expensive nut milk bags are, but I use a hop bag for homebrewing to make cold-brew. Might work out cheaper without the hippy/healthy living aspect tax those kind of things can often have.

Are nut milk bags designed to be squeezed? The hop bags aren't, but mine has held up to it well enough.

MrYenko posted:

Question though; I used a liter of water and a half pound of coffee, with a thin, clean tea towel as a filter, which yielded about 650ml of product. Short of buying a specialized cold-brew apparatus, would using a real paper coffee filter and more time dripping through it increase the yield, or is this method just rather inefficient? I felt like the grounds held really a lot of (delicious) moisture I would have liked in the container, rather than in the garbage.

I run mine through a drip machine filter I jam into my SwissGold/Frieling OneCup. As long as I don't overflow it or burst the paper filter it comes out pretty clear. It means you can give the bag a bit of a squeezing and you don't need to decant any sediment off because the filter sorts it out.
Using 750ml of water to 105g coffee (or 1l/140g), I recover enough to overflow a 500ml swingtop bottle, maybe 550ml all up? You're using a good amount of coffee more than I do, so that'll be holding on to a lot of water. You could try with less coffee & a longer duration to increase your yeild?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Sunbeam or Breville grinders? It's hard to find any grinders down here in New Zealand without paying ridiculous amounts on shipping, but an electronics/hardware store has recently started selling a few and I'm considering picking one up.

I have the Breville Bararoma. It's OK, but pretty low end. I guess if you got that SmartGrinder you could expect a lot more consistency - my french press can end up with a bit of sludge in it.

Depending on where you are, check out what Briscoes and the local roasters/restaurant supply stores have. I'm in Wellington, and I know that Moore Wilsons sold that BarAroma model for a lot less than Briscoes "sale" price (as of about a year ago), and since Briscoes will pricematch you can save even more.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think they are scammers but probably just incompetent.

Handground followed me (im no one) on Instagram the other day. It's definitely this.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

You can get little metal plates that can go on top of the element which let you use non-induction pans or cast iron things in glass tops.

One of those might work, be easier than a pan of water and also serve as a trivet when it isn't hot.

vv also very true

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 15, 2015

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Interesting 19th century Norwegian coffee opinions - http://nordiccoffeeculture.com/a-history-of-coffee-in-norway-part-four/

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

I made it through my first semester of anesthesia school fueled in large part by my stash of beans.

Does your school make dumb jokes about going to sleep in class?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Try a little salt instead of sugar. It apparently does something to the bitterness receptors on your tongue.

I've always done it, and when I forget it can very easily taste the difference.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

For cold brew, am I fine just to use a French press? Seems like there are suddenly dozens of cold brew contraptions available now.

What is a good ratio for making cold brew, and what sort of grind should I be using in a French press vs a dedicated cold brew device?

You can, but you'll probably get sediment if you don't filter it.

Personally, I do 105g coffee coarsely ground (my grinder has a "Percolator" setting I use) to 750ml water, as this more or less fills up my french press. Leave it for 24 hours, and then I pour it through a knock-off V60 to take out the sediment.

I also use a small mesh hops-bag from a homebrew kit to put the coffee grounds in, so I can easily pull them out and hang them to drip over the carafe instead of leaving precious coffee concentrate in the grounds in the bottom, but that's hardly necessary. It also makes cleanup slightly easier.

Some people do a much higher ratio for a shorter time, (1:4, 8-12 hours) but I expect they'd need to grind finer for that too, which is just gonna leave you with a murky cup if you're doing it in a press.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Buy two mason jars, a funnel (or a Chinese ersatz V60 and a pack of paper filters. Dump water and coffee in one, then decant it to the other via the filter.
It's gonna cost you a lot less than some expensive single purpose cold brewer and if you don't want it, you can put candy in the jars instead.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Quidnose posted:

Trying to clean my chemex ripoff for basically the first time cause I'm making coffee at home for the first time in a looong while and holy poo poo this thing is hard to clean. Time to get a Hario I guess.

Get some CLR and let it soak?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

It's like someone saw a Swissgold one-cup and thought "This, but V60-er"

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I'm in a foreign non-English speaking country so I don't really know what around here is good coffee, good grounds, or whatnot but there are a ton of coffee places. If I want to buy back coffee grounds (or have them ground for me), what should I be looking for in a store? Is there a guideline for buying grounds for when they were roasted, ground to get the best taste and before they go stale?

Somewhere that will grind to order, and uses resealable foil bags with a one-way valve. Squeeze the air out of it when you buy it, and buy smaller batches more often to minimise staleness.

You don't have to have a burr grinder at home to drink coffee, but be aware there is a significant difference between stuff ground in a store and left in your bag for a few hours and something ground seconds before brewing. Troubleshooting your brew might be harder because its going to be harder for you to control all your variables. Someone linked an electric Wilfa grinder a page or two back which seems to be a rebadged version of what I have, and it does a perfectly decent job for the price (mine was free because someone put it on the stove and melted it) but might be overkill if you're not drinking that many cups.

You could look into cold brewing, which is more forgiving of older beans, although its apparently an acquired taste. I buy my beans on a friday, grind and pourover on the weekends, and turn what's left into cold-brew to drink during the week because of timecrunch in the mornings.

I'd spring for a Porlex hand grinder if you could afford it, but a Hario mini is "alright", I guess? It gets a little inconsistent at larger grinds and any handmill is a bitch to do more than a couple of cups.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Fine suspended particles clog the filter. I use a cheap plastic v60 with a paper filter and let it drain at it's own rate rather than trying to force it.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I'm travelling through Hong Kong and Norway (Oslo, Bergen and Lillehammer specifically) soon. Other than Tim Wendelboe's in Oslo, is there anywhere in particular that I should check out or actively avoid?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

bondetamp posted:

I just saw this now. Have you made the trip yet? Wendelboe is my local shop and there are loads of great places here.

Not yet! We arrive in Oslo (from somewhere near Brumunddal) from the 7th til the 12th, when we leave for Bergen.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

So what do we think about this thing?

http://fellowproducts.com/shop/prismo/

I'd maybe impulse buy one but shipping to NZ is approx 5x the cost of the drat thing

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

A new toy for the cold brew crew - turn your aeropress into a drip tower with PUCKPUCK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIwEwGu-S2I

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

So, drama-llama in the coffee world! SCA (the organization behind the World Barista Champ competition and various other events) has chosen to hold a WBC event in the UAE. This is bad because the UAE has some pretty draconian laws about things like, for example, being gay, among many other things. Many competitors/volunteers/judges are scared to go there, or don't want to implicitly support such a regime. This has been being talked about for a while, but what wasn't clear was what SCA was going to do with people who don't show up; disqualification? ignore them? eject them? Until yesterday, when they announced people not comfortable with going could file a "deferment", a mechanism they already have in place for a death in the family, sudden ill health, etc. Making a principled stand or seeking to avoid persecution is now comparable to a dead gran apparently.

So Sprudge, one of the bigger and more hooked up coffee news coverage sites, and official media partner of the SCA/WBC, has announced they are pulling out of covering all WBC events, essentially resigning as media partner:
http://sprudge.com/sprudge-resigns-sca-media-partners-127965.html

This includes pulling out of covering the current WBC event in Seoul, right in the middle of it. In that that there were events they covered yesterday and no longer will be covering today.

I think it's a kind of ballsy move on Sprudge's part, because they're not really some media conglomerate behemoth, and if you break it down by give and take they need the WBC way more than the WBC needs them. But it's a principled stand on their part I think.

Also getting a deferral requires formally outing yourself (just bullshit in and of itself) to your national body, who pass that on to a higher body that could theoretically decide that you're not actually queer enough to qualify because it may have financial implications for them. Also also, get hosed if you're a non-competing party required to attend as you don't count and could stand to lose your job/contract if you feel you can't go.

SCA should be ashamed.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Congrats to all the weird steampunk kids tho, no longer the most socially backward users of the SCA acronym.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

If you can sell him on ~~the process~~ you could go for a hand grinder and a bialetti-type stovetop espresso maker and frother?

E: never used one, they could be quite poo poo - I just know it's a thing that exists

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

That looks really inelegant and bitsy - if I were after something like that I'd lean more towards the ROK (which I know next to nothing about) which is presented a bit better and uses an actual portafilter.

They're 2 hundo here - https://espressounplugged.com.au/products/rok-espresso-maker

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Someone suggested using a jug, water, and grinds to make cold brew overnight and then just pour it through a filter to strain it in the morning. I like the idea because the coffee at work sucks. Are there any good filters that don't impart a paper towel taste to the coffee?

I use an ersatz v60 and whatever filter papers I can find at the japanese dollar store in the mall. Bleached ones will be less papery, but springing for moccamasters or w/e isn't really necessary.

Depending on your grind/skill at decanting it might take a while to drain through. I have a small mesh bag (about A5 size) designed for homebrewed beer that I stick my grounds in - I tie it up the side of my french press to drain out a bit while the rest filters, and can easily be emptied into the compost when it's all done.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

porktree posted:

In related news, my Puckpuck arrived Friday.

So, I've never made cold brew before; the instructions have you using 400ml with 38g of coffee, setting the drip rate to 50-55/minute. This completes in about 3.5 hours. I liked the result.

Do you typically dilute the end product or drink it straight?

At that ratio I'm pretty sure it's a mostly straight drink? Hopefully they'll update the app soon with details of a more concentrated recipe.

Mine arrived almost a couple of weeks ago, but most of the water bottles here are 1/4 inch threads not 3/7ths so it sits unused until I can find one the right size/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

where the cat shits in the laundry room to help absorb/mask scents.

store brand kopi luwak