Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I can't believe I never thought to check for a coffee thread.

Is the OP info on grinders still pretty solid? Specifically keeping an eye on refurbs from Baratza. I've been working with a blade grinder for a few years now and I think it's time to upgrade. I mainly do a pour over or aeropress and the occasional french press. I'm vaguely interested in making espresso down the line, but not enough that it'd really sell me on a grinder. Any thoughts on the Encore vs. Virtuoso?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Get an Encore and buy an M2 upgrade kit to get most of the way to a Virtuoso without the $$$, imo.

Oh hell yeah, thank you! Their refurb shop expects Encore restocks next week, so I'll try to get on that.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Is a cheap moka pot as good as any? Toying with the idea of making some espresso-like so I can dabble with something other than black coffee for my girlfriend.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Hahaha, thanks for the recommendations from all sides. I already own an aeropress and didn't realize I could use that to get some near espresso. I'll start there.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Everyone here probably already has a great grinder, but I've been keeping an eye on the Baratza refurb shop and they just updated it indicating inventories should be refreshed 3pm PST on the "expected back" dates. Encores should be listed tomorrow (8/21). No idea if there's an actual rush to get them at restock time but figured I'd pass it along. Hoping I can get the M2 upgrade + a refurb Encore all in one order!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I bought it from a goon a while back and haven't had any issues. It's quick to get a lot of water to temp and it keeps it there as long as it's on the base. I haven't used the timer so I can't speak to that feature.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

If you do wind up opting for the Encore they still have refurb units available for a little bit of savings.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Having a hard time adjusting to my new Encore grinder. I was trying to follow a lot of James Hoffman's process for the V60 and Chemex and getting pretty good results with my blade grinder. I felt pretty confident with the technique and was hitting all of the target times pretty consistently with delicious results.

I'm not sure if there's just some weird mental block going on. I figured I'd just start with the recommended settings in the manual and adjust up/down from there. Every cup has been rough so far. I was starting off nowhere near the goal brew times, and but now when I manage to hit them they're horribly over extracted.

Any ideas? All of my other variables should be the same as before: beans, water temp, bloom/pour durations, ratios, filters, even the type of water is the same. I thought the grinds looked similar enough to what I was getting from my blade, but the end result is drastically different. I've gone through 3 settings for each pour over method I have and I don't feel like I'm really getting anywhere.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, what is your brew ratio

I've been brewing 30g coffee with 500g water.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I guess if you compost stuff you could toss the grinds there. If you're in a hotel I think you should just find potted plants to hide the grounds.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Gunder posted:

Starting with 20g coffee and 300ml water:

code:
Pour	Time	Weight	Weight After
1	0:00	50	50
2	0:45	70	120
3	1:30	60	180
4	2:15	60	240
5	3:00	60	300
Makes a really nice, well extracted, cup of coffee.

I usually swirl the V60 a little after each pour to level the grounds.

This got me a real tasty cup! Thanks.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

So I've done a handful of 4:6 cups and everything is immensely better than what I was getting with Hoffman's method. I'll definitely go back and try to fine tune Hoffman's but I truly have no idea what kind of grind I should be using now. Should it be finer than what I'm using for the 4:6?

Also, anybody have any Chemex methods they recommend?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Also try out a French press sometime! I've fallen in love with Hoffman's French press method (although I don't quite understand why it works). A good chunk of the brewing methods seem pretty easy to get started with. My biggest one time expense was definitely my grinder and of course I'll always be spending money on beans. I haven't gotten into espresso though.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

If I have coffee beans I don't love I just turn it into cold brew

Speaking of this... any ratios/tips? I'm usually never thrilled with how my cold brews turn out but it's better than putting the attention into a pour over for beans I'm not crazy about.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Anybody have any experience with their electric kettles no longer heating the water? Everything turns on, it displays the temp of the water, but I'm guessing the heating element or something died.

It's an OXO Adjustable Gooseneck that's definitely out of warranty. I might just see if that Bonavita kettle drops down at all during Prime Days, but if anyone has any experience that might save me money I'm all ears.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Got a Bonavita kettle today. I was a little thrown off by it not automatically holding the temp when I return it to the base but it's probably for the best. Part of the reason my Oxo might have kicked the bucket was from the kettle being returned to the base with nothing in it when my girlfriend has used it.

I started messing around with the broken one but I have no idea what I'm even looking for to diagnose it, but it seems like a fun thing to learn and maybe I'll have two kettles if my little project works out.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Are there any standard ratios I can start with for toying around with espresso-like drinks? My girlfriends likes mochas and I figure I can make something drinkable with an aeropress or moka pot and froth milk with a French press.

Am I thinking too hard about this? Is it pretty much just whatever she thinks tastes good in terms of milk/chocolate once I make some fake espresso?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Gunder posted:

I haven’t watched the whole thing, but James Hoffmann did a video on this subject earlier this year. https://youtu.be/ZgIVfU0xBjA

Thanks! I'll check this out. Maybe I'll wind up getting into the drinks myself.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I might try those out just to see how lovely my water really is.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

aldantefax posted:

If you want a truly foolproof method, then I think you can't go wrong with french press break/clean.

Even just having this as a backup is nice. I'm still struggling with my V60 consistency and if I'm getting especially discouraged it's nice to have a totally foolproof method at my disposal to bust out.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I was browsing through the previous Hario cloth filter discussion, but I'm still a little confused about what I can skip to get started. Can I literally just put a 480ml cloth filter into my V60 02 and that's that? Everything else is just for fun?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Is there any downside to owning the larger Clever dripper if I generally brew 200-300 ml at a time? It'd be nice to have the option for larger amounts occasionally, but I don't want to wind up having issues with my usual brews.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

My aunt says that she really likes coffee that comes from Peru. She just puts preground coffee in a drip pot and goes about her business. Can anybody recommend anything? I'm tempted to just grab her a local light roast that seems similar to some of the flavor profiles I'm reading about and letting her explore a little, but since it's a gift having the word "Peru" on the label would probably mean more to her.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I pulled up my invoice from August and I paid $17.11 for UPS Ground on an Encore Refurb and M2 Cone Burr.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Gunder posted:

I recently discovered another important aspect to improving my pour-over technique that's both easy to replicate and makes a large difference in flavour: pour height.

It's mentioned in the most recent Scott Rao pour-over video.

Basically, you want the kettle to be as high as possible, without being high enough that it creates the "splashing noise" when the water hits the slurry. You can see a demonstration of what I mean at the 3:43 mark in the video.

Since paying attention to this variable, my coffee has improved noticeably. There was a research paper mentioned in one of the comments on the video that went into exhaustive detail about the physics of exactly why this is important, but YouTube has helpfully eaten that comment, and I haven't been able to google for it. Hope this information helps some of you improve your coffee!

Wild, I was actually wondering about this the other day. Thanks for the info! I got a coffee from a local roaster that has this really profound note of raisins. I've been having trouble replicating it at home so any technique adjustments help.

The Postman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 4, 2021

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

75 percent chance it's their water not your technique. Still worth fiddling with the technique variables though just to make sure!

Should I just ask them if they do anything special with their water? I've been using third wave water and noticed a general improvement with my cups, but I'm still nowhere near the intense raisin flavor they brought out.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Lots of folks in the thread told me to adjust to taste and I can confirm worrying less about the specific number on the grinder made it a lot more fun to experiment with. Still tweaking, still learning, but my worst cups are better than the stuff I'd get in the kitchen at work.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

dedian posted:

I'll echo all this but also add a link to the Barista Hustle Coffee Compass, which gives you a taste map and what to do to adjust your brews based on what you're tasting.

https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/the-coffee-compass/

Use recipes/numbers/ratios as a place to start. Use your tongue to identify what needs to change to move things towards what you want.

Interesting! I find a lot of people I know find light roasts "vegetal" where I do not. I wonder if I can get someone to let me experiment with them.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

Last weekend I asked a dude not to take his mask off to use FaceID while he was paying, and it apparently made him so mad that he wrote a giant long email to the owners of the company to call me an rear end in a top hat and explain that he's a health care provider and know's how not to put folks at risk.

LOL we are almost a year into this poo poo how are these people still being so petulant about masking? That's got to be exhausting. Sorry you have to deal with that garbage.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I do love some purple lights

The Postman
May 12, 2007

What should I be tasting in espresso? I ordered a shot at my local roaster and it was kind of sour. A cursory search on Google tells me it was probably not extracted properly, but I think that's the only shot I've ever had. Most of their stuff is pretty solid so I'm willing to buy another shot or two and see if it was just a fluke, but I kind of want a sense of what I should be looking for.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Gunder posted:

Baratza Encore.

Edit: I'm assuming this is for manual brew methods (everything that isn't espresso).

Looks like they even have refurbs available at $99 right now. I got one of them and it was probably one of the best coffee purchases I've made so far.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Maybe it's not ideal, but I had fun playing around with an Aeropress recipe randomizer that I think was inspired by some dice Hoffman put together. Some cups were better than others, but none were outright terrible at least. Looking back I should have taken notes and compared my experience with recipes to try and identify how each combination changed things up.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Imagined posted:

Is the Baratza Encore still considered the minimum choice for a "real" electric burr grinder? I bought a $60 Mueller off Amazon and while I'm not unhappy with the coffee it produces, I haven't found a single way to use it without coating a six foot radius around it in coffee grounds every. Single. Time. Even if I stand there and hold the basket up as high against it as it will go with my hand and then slap the hell out of it to get all the grounds out before removing it. I've read that that's to do with cheap plastic developing a static charge.

I didn't want to drop $130 right away because I wasn't sure I'd end up drinking coffee every day, or be able to tell the difference in grinder settings, but I do and I can.

If static is your only issue I've heard of people adding a drop or two of water to the beans before grinding. Haven't done it myself, but people in this thread have reported good results.

If you decide you want an Encore you can keep an eye on their refurbished section. They're $99 and good as new.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

eke out posted:

for me the clever with its longer brew time and higher capacity has really replaced my french press

aeropress is still an excellent way to make extremely fast and delicious iced coffee, which means it gets a whole lot of use for me

What's you're iced aeropress process?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Bobstar posted:

I can't remember, is Clever Dripper very different to Aeropress, results wise? I used to have one and I think we both liked it. Lots of re-learning to do.

I'm not going to do a great job of describing the tasting experience beyond "coffee brewed in the Clever tastes fuller to me", but I definitely prefer it over the Aeropress for daily brewing. I find it much easier to get consistent cups, and you can brew a lot more of it.

I really only mess with the Aeropress when I want a smaller amount of coffee.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Enjoy! I've just been using the directions included with the Clever. Does anyone prefer a different approach? I assume Hoffman has an ULTIMATE recipe but I haven't had issues so I haven't bothered to explore.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I’ve been using v60 at home for brewing for the last year and a half, but now I’m back to the office a couple of days a week I could do with something for there too. Been looking at the clever coffee dripper as it looks like it’ll be easier to use with a static hot water boiler, compared to a v60.

It looks like there are two sizes, does it make a significant difference which one I pick? I’ll probably be doing single cup brews most of the time but may need to do 2-cups occasionally, but I’m not averse to just brewing 2x 1 cup, if the single cup is a better option for me most of the time.

Any recipe/brewing guides recommended?

I just picked the larger one and use 300ml water typically. I've scaled up a few times into the 450ml range but I wouldn't go much higher. As far as I know there's no explicit downside to brewing small cups in the larger Clever other than it taking up slightly more space at your desk.

As for recipes I just followed the included instructions for a while and then switched to Hoffman's technique of pouring the water first and then adding the grounds. It definitely drains much better that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Finally got some cloth filters. Has anybody stuck with these?