Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I use a moka pot to brew most of my coffee, and i do get crema. It doesnt generally hold up to being poured into a cup but the crema is there when it comes out of the little spout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef

Progressless posted:

What brand moka pot do you use? Also how finely grinded are your beans? Do enlighten me on the proper method to get that drat crema to appear.

Honestly I couldnt tell you the brand of the pot. It came from Central Market, I think it cost me about $20. I typically grind the beans to a fineness between that of a paper filter and an espresso, which comes about to be about 1-2 mm in diameter. I boil the water in a different pan first, then pour the hot water in to the bottom of the moka pot then put the pot together and place it on my stove top which is at medium heat. I'm not sure if all that is necessary, but its what I do. The beans I get have been roasted in the past week.

I should also mention its no where near the amount of crema you get from a real espresso machine, its just a little bit of foam.

SweetJuicyTaco fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 20, 2012

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef

Progressless posted:

Boiling the water first, that's new. I'll try that and see if it produces different results for me, thanks!

Progressless, I made some coffee this afternoon at lunch time and took a picture of my typical Crema. This is after I took the pot off of the stove:

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Well, I just get mine in bulk from the central market (whole foods type store in Tx) here in Fort Worth, but the coffee comes from Austin and is roasted on tuesdays and delivered on wednesday. I bought that coffee last night so I imagine its about a week old at this point.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Bob, I agree. That foam didnt survive the pour into my coffee cup. Somebody had asked about it so I just wanted to demonstrate thats what I got. I am planning on getting a real espresso machine eventually, I just can't justify a $1200 outlay right now when I can make decent coffee with the tools at hand.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Well, I just ordered babbys first espresso machine. I chose a Gaggia Evolution, they seemed to get good reviews on coffeegeek for an entry level machine. I need to pick up a grinder now. Has anyone had any luck picking up a vario refurb off of baratza? They have a vario w that you can add to the cart but thats $$, if I can get the plain vario I would rather go with that.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Baratza just updated all their refurbs. They have pretty much everything up. Just snagged a vario. Woof, buy once cry once I guess.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I've been using my gaggia evolution espresso machine and my baratza vario to make some espresso. It's very nice to be able to do it myself. I have a question about tamping and the espresso pucks.
Mine never knock out easily, I usually have to dig them out. I never see any sounds of channeling when I look at my used pucks, so I dont think I'm under tamping it. Is not being able to knock the pick out easily a sign of using too much force? Usually the machine needs about five seconds of pressure pumping before the espresso emerges from the porta filter. I am using the non pressurized double shot filter that came with the machine.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I've really started getting my espresso machine all figured out. My shots taste like chocolate yummy. At first I was using the pressurized portafilter on accident and I noticed that it made my shots much less flavorful compared to the non pressurized porta filter. I usually use around seventeen grams for a double shot.

I forgot, I wanted to ask when to end the shot. I'm becoming familiar with the concept of blonding and how to spot it in the drop from the portafilter. Do you end the shot as soon as you spot the first streak of blonde in the pour, or after it becomes fully blonde?

SweetJuicyTaco fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 19, 2012

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Well I just bought 5 lbs of green beans from sweet Maria's, one lb of the monkey espresso and the four lb green coffee sampler. I also picked up a heat gun off amazon and I have multiple stainless steel bowls, so I'm excited to try this out. I don't have a thermometer suitable for this use and I've never roasted coffee before so I will be playing it by ear for my first few roasts. I think I'd rather err on the lighter side rather than the dark side!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I roasted some Sweet Maria's Espresso Monkey blend to about a Vienna roast last night using the dog bowl/heat gun method. I call it a Vienna roast but I assume it was, I roasted up until the middle of the second crack. I'm excited to try them, I'm going to go home and pull a shot during lunch.