Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Gonna try my first behmor batch tomorrow, wish me luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Behmor worked great, but I couldn't hear the crack through the door- anyone have trouble with this for 1lb batches?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

haha drat that was fun

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

My grinder on my breville is toast after 6mo, so I'm taking that fucker apart. Might have to 3D print a few replacement parts, this isn't going to be fun :(

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Don't think so, but I suppose I could call 'em up

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

Have you tried those travel mug filling drip coffee makers? You could even be awesome and grind the beans for her. I mean, they're not amazing machines or anything, but they're like $25 and would taste a lot better than a Keurig.

This is the answer I'd go with- there's even some models that do both that and the pot, or either.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

Cold brew coffee instructions, go! Got some properly ground coffee beans from a local roaster, so all I need now are foolproof steps to make some banging cold brew. So many conflicting recipes online, some say 12 hrs, others say 24. Some say 1:4 ratio, coffee : water, others say 1:8.

Waiting for a callback from the roaster cause the guy is gonna tell me how he does it, he's pretty fuckin great when it comes to all things coffee related. But I'm on a caffeine high right now and more opinions are better.

12 hours for min extraction, 24 for max extraction. 4:1 for concentrate, 1:8 for stuff you don't futz with. I do 18-24hrs 1:8ish ratio in a 1-gal jug with a nut milk bag containing the grounds and it comes out great every time.

You really don't need to overthink it, the extraction happens too slow to seriously gently caress up

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

stop liking things i don't like

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh get off it

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

What kinds of coffee beans do you guys like and where do you buy them from?

I home-roast all sorts that I find on Amazon. It's pretty dope and never boring

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

alnilam posted:

Oh man I switched from doing like 2 batches of pour over every morning to a bonavita BV1901 and our mornings (especially with a baby) are so much easier. Now I'm eyeing my manual grinder too and wondering if I should go electric and save the 3-4 minutes of grinding it takes. Is the Capresso Infinity still a good option? I will basically only ever be making pour-over/drip from it so I don't even really need adjustable grind size.

Yeah, that's a good one! I enjoy mine

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Depends on the bean but yeah I've had much better luck with the behmor 1600 plus, though I don't think you need to roast a pound at a time eh?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Definitely, it's an investment for sure. I had to talk myself into it even with gift cards. Don't regret it though

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Israeli coworker just said she can't drink brewed coffee because it just doesn't taste like what she's used to...which after some interrogation I figured out it's Finjan style, like Turkish coffee? That muddy stuff. Is it good?

If done well it's pretty okay, just like most methods

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Gunder posted:

It makes a great cup of coffee on the cheap, but it won't taste anything like an espresso. It's more like a french press in my mind.

Can confirm!

All my co-workers swear by it though, and barring a moka pot, is probably the easiest coffee maker you can buy that can be portable

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Also throw out your gross mold factory

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

Hoping the four pounds of green yirgacheffe props me up as a minor warlord in the imminent post-apocalypse

Haha I did the same. Here's hoping it lasts long enough

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Keeper Garrett posted:

Looking to start making real espresso, had a Moka Pot for the last 7 years. This Breville Barista Express has good reviews. I would also use the frother extensively. Is there anything else I need to know?

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/smal...esame-bes870bks

It's okay for what it is— I love mine, but I know it's not going to give me results like I'd get with a more serious setup. I'm sure many people have better options for each of the tasks (grinding/frothing/espresso), but as an all-in-one it's pretty worth it

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I think a lot of these machines are like audiophile speakers. They get you 90% there for less cost and effort but there’s always more money or time to spend if you want to.

hahaha that's a really good analogy, I'm borrowing that

Keeper Garrett posted:

Thanks, a decent all in one seems to be the best bet for me at the moment, and it is affordable.

Mine has served me well for about 3? years now. I will say that harder beans tend to make the motor gently caress up on the burr grinder, so be sure to shop-vac out the dust every so often so you don't gum up the works. There will come a point where you have to take some things apart, but don't worry about it: the tutorials and cleaning products you buy are really straightforward.

e. if you don't know what use the hot water thingo is, my wife uses it as an instant tea kettle. It's also pre-programmed to shut off after about 8oz of water makes it through, so it's decent for americanos I guess? I never drink them

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 4, 2020

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I set a timer on my phone for 30-60secs before that thing goes off :shrug:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've always been impressed with the build quality of Breville stuff though

Yeah, I mean I've had to rebuild the grinder in my barista express a couple times but that's because I was an idiot.

For an integrated machine it's easy enough to take apart and reassemble. 4 years service, limited swearing

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Are coffee bean roaster machines a thing I can buy?

Yes, depending on your budget

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Tippecanoe posted:

Ooh, I've wanted to get a Behmor for a while now. How do you find it? does it get real smoky indoors?

I like mine, but it definitely does put off some fumes. Put it near an open window and/or an air filter. preferably in the garage or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah it's pretty good, highlights how crap most fast food coffee is! Bustelowns