Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Hi coffee thread, I want to start learning to appreciate and making better cups of coffee than my super cheap drip machine but I'm also super lazy and don't want to do much prep work in the mornings. Is there some stuff you guys would recommend to help me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Clark Nova posted:

A decent grinder, followed by a better drip brewer

Any recommendations from the coffee experts? A grinder sounds like work though

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Clark Nova posted:

I think Capresso Infinity and Baratza Encore are still the go-to recommendations for a first burr grinder. It's an extra step but you're never going to get good coffee with pre-ground beans.

For drip brewers, Bonavita makes good, completely effortless units, the Behmor Brazen is a bit more expensive and has a lot of settings you can fiddle with, and Technivorm is the gold standard. I have a Brazen and like the results

e: to be clear, you can change the temperature, bloom time, etc. on the brazen but actually brewing coffee is just adding water, adding grounds and pressing start

If i picked up a grinder, What kind of difference would those drips make over my current cheap drip? What makes them better?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

withak posted:

They make a more uniform grind. The grind size affects extraction, and a spinny blade grinder will chop some beans into dust and leaves some very coarse so it will be different every time. A burr grinder grinds to the same uniform size every time so you don't have some unknown, uncontrollable grind size variable that changes in every batch you brew.

Ok that makes sense for the grinders, though I was also wondering about what makes the bonivita or Technivorm drips better than my $30 drip

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Ok, so my good coffee plan seems to be to buy this Bonavita BV1901PS for $95 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WD5QBV Then also pick up the Capresso infinity (mostly cause it's cheaper than the other one). Seem reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Big Bidness posted:

That's a good plan, but I would also say get a scale to weigh your coffee. Don't use a spoon or eyeball it.

Ive got like measuring spoons, though I assume you mean something fancier. I'll probablysee how it goes for now?