Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

hbf posted:

http://www.stumptowncoffee.com/ is another good Seattle roaster who ships stuff out super fast. They are more about geographic single plantation varietals which is kinda cool I guess.

Seconding Stumptown in a big way. They are probably my favorite roaster next to Victrola. Zeitgeist in Pioneer Square is also a great local Seattle roaster.

Tully's also can be very decent if you carefully select a single origin. I've gotten my parents hooked on it and send it back to them in the Midwest for every holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

hbf posted:

Since it sounds like you also live in Seattle, who in your opinion is the best in town in terms of quality/price? I drink a fair amount of coffee and it adds up. Currently I get Stumptown from the coffeeshop on my corner and I think it's 13$/bag with tax. I'm not sure how big the bag is, it doesn't say anywhere on it, but I know it is not that close to a pound just from the feel. I just moved here so I haven't really explored everywhere yet.

Yes, they usually do 8, 10 or 12 oz bags depending on location. It is quite pricey, but I think it's worth it. If you're looking for a price to quality comparison, Cafe Ladro has pretty decent prices. The better Tully's stuff will also run around $12 but that's for a whole pound. If you go with a smaller roaster or a better coffee, that's about the going rate.

I'm definitely going to check out Milstead & Co next time I'm north of the ship canal. I don't get to that part of town unless I have a specific reason, but good coffee is reason enough.

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

hbf posted:

haha thanks for correcting me, I just assumed they were from Seattle since it seems to be the go to here.

People in Seattle seem to like to hate on Cafe Vita as well. If you read yelp reviews people often mention in restaurant/cafe reviews something like "oh this place is great, but they have cafe vita, where's the stumptown?"

In all fairness, Stumptown has both a Seattle and a Portland roasting location, but yes, they are based in Portland.

I don't understand the Cafe Vita hate either. It makes a good latte and I have never had issues with a cup from them. I honestly just think it's a load of bullshit snobbery to help keep up coffee elite appearances.

How often do rings on moka pots need changing? I've had mine for some years and although I use it probably once a month, it's still going strong. How can I tell if it's gone bad?

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

.Z. posted:

Eastsiderz

Zoka as mentioned above and I think there's a Cafe Ladro in Bellevue. Try those for sure and start easy on yourself. Get a cup of plain drip or espresso and go from there. You can usually judge a place's quality by these two products. Charbucks always tastes bad when the products stand naked without the shield of cream and sugar, and that is why they do business in coffee flavored milkshakes, not actual coffee.

I'm not feeling well today otherwise I'd go get Trabant right now. My favorite work from home lunch break is a stop at Salumi for meat and abuse then Trabant to help heal my hurt feelings.