Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have an espresso machine with flow control like the lelit bianca or the mod for the profitec pro 700? Home barista seems to have some people who love the concept, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of information around on them. Is it a useful control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

hypnophant posted:

I have the decent, which can do either flow or pressure profiling, in addition to pretty precise temperature profiling. It's useful in that it gives you direct control over a variable that previously you had to adjust indirectly by grind and dose. It also allows you to change that variable dynamically during the shot, manually in the case of the paddle machines or according to a programmed recipe for the decent and other profiling machines. This can let you imitate lever machine pressure profiles with a pump machine, or target flow to get the most extraction out of light-roasted beans. I think it's fair to say nobody fully understands how all the variables in espresso affect extraction, and even less how extraction, roast, and flavor all interact, so as of now flow control has kind of an experimental feel to it which is why it doesn't seem like the information is all there.

Guess I'll give it a shot, be on the cutting edge of coffee :v:

The decent looks neat, but I'm scared off by the tablet, don't trust it to last

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I have eureka mignon specialita and it’s good, but a bit annoying to adjust sometimes. Once it is dialed in it seems quite consistent, but I’m only measuring that by the shots I pull...

The adjustment numbers are pretty arbitrary (the knob can rotate around and hit the same number multiple times) and only useful as a reference once you “zero” it in. It doesn’t go from zero to 10 and that’s it, the knob will rotate however much you want so you will zero it manually by spinning the burr by hand (unplugged obviously) while adjusting the knob until the burr stops spinning.

It is pretty quiet, when I make espresso it grinds 19g in 8 seconds or so, dont have clumping issues or anything like that. There isn’t much retention, usually get out just about what input in after a clean, < .5G I guess? I’m not sure what the top of the line grinders do here. It can be a bit messy, I bought a ring to go on top of my portafilter to catch more grounds to help with that.

It can single dose, but I find it works much better if there are beans in the hopper.

Happy to answer any questions, I think the mignon line is pretty similar?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Rescue Toaster posted:

I don't do espresso, just chemex pour over (might get a clever eventually). I could maybe see adjusting it a little finer for aeropress once in a blue moon. So I would be just getting the real basic Mignon Filtro.

It sounds kind of annoying if you'd prefer to keep the hopper full. I guess tear the catch cup on my scale, grind some.. check on scale... repeat. Until you get the hang of it?

I’m assuming the filtro has the same interface, I just setup the two shot button to grind the amount I want, you adjust the time in tenths of a second. Once it is set for a bean I don’t touch it, it’s not super easy to get the grind where you want it and I’m not entirely convinced that if you turn it half a click right and then left you end up with the same grind lol

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Imagined posted:

How fast do y'all get through coffee? Between my wife and I, with me working from home, we can go through a 12 oz bag of beans every 3-4 days. Good coffee being $10-$17 per bag, that adds up quick!

I was told only to moisten exactly what I can use right then.

I use a bag every week and a half making two 18gish espressos a day, so your consumption seems about right

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

bolind posted:

Can anyone provide me with a list of or just pointer to espresso machines with the steam arm on the left hand side?

Rocket does it that way. Decent and Londinium can be had like that if it’s specced when ordering.

Lelit Bianca has it on the left

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dren posted:

My cafelat robot was supposed to arrive tomorrow so I picked up some of my local shop’s espresso beans, a medium roast ground by the shop. I’ve never had their espresso so I ordered one to go with the beans. It was awful, extremely sour. My robot arrived today instead of tomorrow so I tried it out with the beans I bought and got the same result. So I guess I’m doing it right but the beans are not to my liking. Is there any tweak to the process for getting something less sour? I intend to go get a darker roast as that seems like the quickest fix and the normal thing for espresso.

sounds like under extracted so finer grind, lower dose, higher temp?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dren posted:

I brewed at 98° C, 17g of coffee, 60g of water, pressed at about 9 bars. The water can’t get much hotter and it’s already ground so what would be reasonable to drop the dose to?

it probably won't matter, but I think the robot is supposed to be boiling water as the cup you pour into will suck some of the heat out. I'm assuming that's 60g of water in, how much espresso are you pulling?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dren posted:

unsure, as i don’t have a scale underneath. how much should i be pulling?

taking a look around online it seems like 2.5-3 is fairly popular with pretty long pre-infusion times, I'd search around online to see what recipes people are using w/ their robot

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

KinkyJohn posted:

Thanks for the in-depth reply. Yes, I'm looking into getting a machine and I'm considering my options as local availability is limited. Right now I'm trying to get a bigger picture of what is possible within a budget of say $600. I'm willing to learn and really do a deep dive into perfecting a cup of espresso.

I have a local supplier with a great selection of beans who will do a fresh roast to spec and on demand for me personally, and I feel like I should make the most of this opportunity to get some really good coffee brewin at home

Is this $600 all in (grinder, machine, accessories)?

There are manual grinders for espresso, but it seems like a lot of work to me lol

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gunder posted:

Just so you're aware, light roasts are pretty difficult to extract properly without a decent espresso grinder and machine. If you aim to do it properly, you might easily spend over $1000. I have no experience with the Barista Express, but the more expensive Barista Pro definitely can't get hot enough to extract a light roast properly. Medium and darker roasts are much easier to extract, and if you're happy to limit yourself to those options, you can buy much less expensive equipment.

I've found light roasts very annoying to get good extraction on, I definitely have to bump the temperature or grind so fine the shot slowly dribbles out. I can get decent coffee, but drat it is hard to dial in sometimes. I also feel like I end up with coffees where I can't possibly pull a good non-sour shot from it. I do end up using all the coffee up before I finish tweaking it though, maybe I really need to boost the temp and grind to the point where its taking forever to pull the shot, idk

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gunder posted:

What sort of basket are you using? Getting a nice VST or IMS basket can allow you to grind a lot finer without choking the shots.

I got a vst recently, had a lot better luck with my last light roast. Need to run more through it to see if it helps in the general case though.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

bolind posted:

I may or may not just have put down the deposit on a Lagom P64.

im jealous it looks super cool, unsure if I could justify $1500 for a grinder, silver or black?

lol of course I could

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I don’t believe that a person who never cleaned the group head descaled the machine

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ThirstyBuck posted:

That nasty group head is probably on me. This is my first machine. I've had it about 1.5 years and I've never had the screen or group head apart (whoops!). The guy I bought it from was pretty knowledgable and had just upgraded to an Appartemento. It wasn't someone flipping a junker that they found in a Goodwill trash bin.

What do you do for your water? Have you tested it / softened / treated it before putting it in?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Canuck-Errant posted:

I've been looking at grinders myself and the Eureka Mignon Specialita seems to be the biggest competition in the general price range. There are also third-party mods for it for single dosing, which the 270 doesn't have.

I have the specialita, and while I don’t have any mods, I feel that it works better with more beans in the hopper. The time-based grind is pretty drat consistent day to day so it hasn’t bothered me much and I go through coffee quickly enough that I don’t see a noticeable degradation in quality for the amount of time my beans sit in the hopper.

It is fast, I grind 18g in about 8 seconds I think. The dial-in is a bit finicky, it is a tiny knob you turn and it is difficult to get back into a grind setting once you move out of it. If you want to change grinds often I’d steer clear of the specialita. Once you dial in the bean you won’t want to change it. I dont have clumping issues, it’s very pretty, and pretty drat quiet imo. I feel like it is quieter than my old lovely grinder and much faster. Finding your “true zero” is pretty easy if annoying, you rotate the top burr by hand while adjusting the fineness of the ground coffee until the burr stops rotating, then back it off. Unplugged, obviously. The numbers are, essentially, meaningless and only offer a vague guess at what the grounds will be like.

I can answer any questions about it if you have any.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dren posted:

I got the Eureka Mignon Specialita and the very first espresso I made with it was far, far better than all espressos I have previously made using coffee ground by the shop. It’s pretty quiet too.

what color did you get

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

betterinsodapop posted:

Seconding this recommendation. I had the previous model of that one, it made good coffee and lasted me almost 10 years before crapping out earlier this year.
My main issue with it was the lack of brew-through lid, as hypnophant mentioned.

I think I have a similar model (the coffee basket sits on the carafe during brewing) and my major issue with it is that I can’t fit my hand in the carafe to clean it. I have to use a brush thing (not great for deep cleans) or get my wife to clean it. Otherwise it works great…

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

bolind posted:

Could I interest you in a very competitively priced tamper, knockbox and distribution tool kit.

(Their coffee is fantastic, but they really should stick to roasting.)

I was mildly interested until I saw the price, who is buying this??

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Stimperor posted:

Anyone else feel that they don't like drinking coffee from a thermos flask? I don't know whether this is just sensory memory associations fooling me or if a thermos can genuinely make the taste experience worse, albeit indirectly.

I find any container which inhibits the smell makes coffee a worse experience

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

a mysterious cloak posted:

Any time I crave espresso and think I want to do it at home, i just come to this thread and realize nope, too much

Allow me to change your mind, if you are fine with the cost, like tinkering aspect, and can resist chasing the dragon by upgrading, which probably isn’t necessary unless you can pinpoint some very specific thing you want to fix.

My espresso setup has probably the least buyers remorse of any big purchase I’ve ever made. Every morning I wake up and get to pull a tasty shot and adjust my grind to make the next one even better. I don’t care about milk drinks, pretty much just espresso. Different coffees vary in taste wildly in espresso which is super fun combined with a variety subscription.

Even after a week I pulled better shots than most coffee places (caffe vita on Fremont Ave in Seattle holds the top spot for me).

There is no coffee smell better than freshly pulled espresso and my apartment fills up with it every day.

Also the machine is pretty and a nice conversation starter.

It’s fun! I swear!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

hypnophant posted:

you'll know when you've had too much

yeah your heart will flutter with love of coffee

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I wish I could have more espresso in a day without twitching, stupid delicious coffee

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Blackhawk posted:

I bought some decaf beans recently so I could play with my PP more without my heart exploding. There are some good quality decafs out there these days that can make a similarly good espresso to regular beans.

I don’t want to redial in my beans all the time, my grinders number for what grind I’m at is definitely…. Approximate

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

nwin posted:

I just timed 17.5g at 40 seconds.

Man-kinda want the Jxpro now assuming our grind sizes are the same.

I like my electric grinder at 7.7 seconds :v:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

silvergoose posted:

someday someone's going to post a "upgrading this....to this" shot but it's just two identical pictures

Obviously they upgrade to a vst basket but are making coffee so the portafilter is locked in

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

aldantefax posted:

Does anybody have thoughts about Slayer as a company or their products? I'm thinking somewhere down the line I'd want to get a single group regular espresso machine for home use and get it plumbed, but I don't know what the actual costs and logistics are like. I like the look of a Slayer though and it's got some neat features.

I’ve always seen slayer as a pro machine, but that might just be the cost? The machines look nice :)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

charliebravo77 posted:

I bought this distributer/tamper and haven't used the razor thing since. https://www.amazon.com/Distributor-MATOW-Portafilter-Adjustable-Professional/dp/B07ZT42HZF/ref=psdc_13397451_t1_B0896Q41R9

Breville Barista Express chat: I am having a hell of a time getting a shot that isn't undrinkable without milk due to bitterness or sourness. I've played around with grind size, temp and time and can't seem to get where it needs to be. Used a few different types of beans too, both espresso roasts and not. Where should I restart from?

echoing the previous: recipe, how long is the pull, what kind of beans are you using, what porta filter?

I've found that the amount of coffee in my basket is critical for pulling good shots reasonably. With the same grind size it pulls slower and blondes later with more coffee than less. It makes sense I guess, I just never thought about it and was always slightly underfilling my basket which caused under-extraction and sour shots.

I've also bumped my temp every so slightly (1-2C) for lighter roasts to get them to extract reasonably. I've never measured the actual temp of my water coming out of the grouphead, so maybe it is just correct now!

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 3, 2021

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

charliebravo77 posted:

:saddowns: I thought the distributor/tamper was helping on consistency in tamping. Why is it a bad move? Not being belligerent, just trying to understand what is happening.

Dark Matter Unicorn Blood and Intelligentsia Black Cat most recently are what I have been using. 17-18g in and 36g out is what I have been aiming for but have tried up to 46g or so just to see what happens.

edit - let me time it again but I think the whole duration from button press to end of pull is 25-30 seconds.

I use both a tiny screw driver for wdt and a spinning distributor with a tap on the counter at the end before tamping. If I don't do all of these steps I get channeling, very annoying :v: I also use the technique where you tamp in a circle around the edges a bit before going down flat, seems to help me get a move even flow through the puck. All of this could be totally psychological and at this point I don't want to mess with my steps as I like my coffee...

Does the machine have a preinfusion step? I typically measure from first drop -> end and end up at around 32-35 seconds to get 1:2 out.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

charliebravo77 posted:

OK I think we're getting somewhere now. Finer grind, WDT, distribute, tamp. Pressure is good and way less of a sour profile. 21 seconds after pre-infusion for the shot. Only 33g out but I can adjust that with the machine. Still get the tart fruity note which now does seem more like cherry than raspberry. One notch finer and/or slightly longer shot time.

I’d try grinding finer and extend the time the pull takes, if that doesn’t seem to be helping maybe bump the amount to 19.5g or something

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Redialing in the mignon would likely be difficult because the little screw is very sensitive and, from my experience, is more a guide than a precise instrument. Once I’m settled I usually make very small tweaks as the beans age (sometimes none, depends on bean). I would not switch between grinds with my mignon specialita

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I got my 48oz of “free” German coffee from that “giveaway,” what should I do with it? Pulling espresso with the way the beans smell.. oof

Cold brew?
Baking?
Freeze for future emergencies?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gunder posted:

I love my Fellow Stagg EKG, but it is expensive.

Also have one in black and I love it, very useful for getting warm water for baking as well

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Brut posted:

Ah so just grinding time? I don't mind that, I can stand there mindlessly spinning the thing for a minute or two, as long as I don't need to frequently fiddle with the settings or something like that.

It’s pretty annoying to grind for a minute imo, for comparison my grinder kicks out espresso grind in 8 seconds. I could just be impatient when it comes to my coffee though

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

qutius posted:

Well the upgrade phase went pretty well...

Lelit Biana and the Atom 75. Match made in heaven so far!

I found replacing the portafilter that came with my Bianca with a vst let me extract light roasts more consistently, also bumped the temp a bit

I feel the steam wand works okay, sputters a little bit for me I’m unsure why

Great machine you’re gonna love it imo

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ChickenWing posted:

Need an assist on my coffee game, goons.

… stuff …

Given this setup, what're your opinions on the most effective places to spend money or add effort to get better coffee.

Also, are there any grinders that can do drip and espresso grinds? Everything I read seems to say that if you have a a grinder that claims to do both, it'll generally do one well and one lovely.

I’d say beans are the easiest upgrade (and cheapest). How much do you want to spend? How fiddly can your process be? Do you care about tweaking it?

A new drip machine is pretty easy and will get you good coffee for minimal effort. Personally I wouldn’t go wild on a grinder if you want mostly drip

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Democratic Pirate posted:

Whenever I think I’m a snob about coffee for having good beans, a grinder, and a clever maker in the office vs the keurigs my coworkers prefer, Scott Rao comes along and does a Q&A Instagram session to remind me just how much further one can go.

Reading this thread doesn’t do that for you?

I like the look of synesso, prettier than the decent which… isn’t the most important thing, but it’s nice having pretty things on the counter

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Looking for some suggestions on how to fix this. I’ve wasted so much drat good coffee and I feel like I’m going insane.

I use an encore for espresso. Previously, I was using some light roast beans, grinding at about an 8. Was dialed in pretty well.

I adjusted the grinder to about 25 for a pour over, and then afterwards every shot I ground around 8 (same beans, a day later) channeled immediately and was like 30 out in 8 seconds.

Thinking something was wrong, I descaled and backflushed (Breville infuser), and took apart and cleaned the burrs. Same exact thing.

At grind 4 it still channels (albeit less), and at grind 2 it finally chokes (mostly, it does like 15g in 30 seconds). The thing is, at grind 4, the grinds feel so much more powdery then they did before this started occurring. That’s why I can’t figure out if it’s the grinder, or the espresso machine, or how in the gently caress I troubleshoot or fix this.

I tried with some very dark roast old garbage beans I had, and those choked at like grind 5, where previously those would choke at like 8 or 9.

Every once in a while I’ll get some beans (I use trade, so new coffee regularly) which I cannot dial in on my grinder / machine. Never chokes, go coarse, fine, lots of coffee, minimal coffee, I’ve never figured it out. I generally just mess around with it until I’m out of beans and the next bag comes in and everything works reasonably once more. Very confusing and frustrating! So maybe chalk it up to annoying beans?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

bizwank posted:

So many great colors to choose from too

midnight blue looks great in person, got one for my mom and she loves it

except she is doing this insanely annoying (which she got from her sister) thing where she puts cinnamon on the coffee bed so I have to get up before her to make sure my coffee isn't gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ulvir posted:

I've been using the scale that came with the wilfa uniform, but I'm getting a bit sick of having to use my phone at the same time just to have a timer, so I'm in the market for a new scale now.

the scale itself is really responsive and accurate to 0,1g all the way through, and I don't really want to lose that, so it could seem like the hario scale is out of the picture from that perspective. I've read that it is somewhat laggy, and has some stupid tiered system for their accuracy.

which would you guys recommend? my requirements is that it has to be big enough that I can see the time and weight while brewing in a decanter and the display has to be bright. it also has to be responsive with great accuracy. I only use it for filter brews so all I really need from features is a manual timer and manual taring. budget wise, I'd say the acaia lunar is about the maximum of what I would be willing to fork out

I have the cheaper timemore scale and it works well, but I don’t use its timer functionality. The times I’ve started it by accident it definitely counted seconds though…