Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

So I bought one of these: (also, Lord Dekks you might want to click that!)

I've immediately noticed what many others have on the internet - namely, there's a lot of slop in the burr mechanism when it's not turned to super fine grind settings. As a result, the coarser grind sizes are uneven. People have pointed out certain DIY modifications to help with this issue, but I'm racking my brains as to how to find/fit/assemble parts to do it up properly.

Any advice? I need some kind of gasket or bushing or shim type of thing to stabilize the grinding mechanism. Home Depot searching has so far proved ineffective, and people on coffeegeek can't string together a drat sentence with pictures. I know you can buy a retrofit kit online, but that's dumb and would require more money for shipping to my location than the cost of the parts themselves.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Modified my Skerton with some washers and a spring to put tension on the burr. I am quickly figuring out the awesomeness of French press after having stuck to drip for a long time. I lost my Aeropress, though... :(

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

A little spring and paair of washers will fix that. Take it to a good hardware store, explain your need, pay less than $2, and walk out with a fixed grinder.

I just did this as well. It's very effective.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

Pweh! Fetid! The humans still hide their finest bean!

This is perfect.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

IronSaber posted:

As someone who works at the Enterprise Help Desk at Starbucks, this thread has been an interesting read.

I'm curious to know what the Enterprise Help Desk is.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

This thread has basically helped me switch over to a Maestro Plus... I couldn't stand the grief my Hario mill was giving me. I'm glad I swapped it - so much easier to dial in the right grind size for press pot.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

wildlele posted:

Save up for the Technivorm. It is simply amazing!

Not that I can afford one, but what makes the Technivorm so good as to be the only "legit" drip machine I see posted about in here?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

kuskus posted:

Crema Egg

Now I really, really want to pour the creme from one of those into a shot glass and just hit that poo poo straight.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

So I love French press, but I've got a fairly small one. It's good for two little bitty "cups" or one big mug per brew. I kind of want to get a brewing device that allows for more capacity but isn't a bigger French press. This is also sort of an excuse to go buy/learn a new coffee gadget, so yay!

I'm pretty hooked on the idea of Chemex + Kone as you can buy a "10-cup" Chemex for fairly reasonable prices. I hear that it's supposed to be very press-like in quality because of the metal filtration rather than paper? Also - for those people who do use a Chemex - how is it for retaining the temperature of the coffee over time?

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 31, 2012

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Made a press pot of Heart Roasters Guatemala El Limonar this morning.

It was really really awesome! Bright and clean. Another notch in the "South America is great" column.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Behold America, where the coffee is dressed up in a faux-Italo-cum-Westcoast package by a million Starbuckses unpretentious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I may have just pulled a muscle from laughing too much.