Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
Dunno if this exactly belongs here, but where can i get an amazing cup of coffee in NYC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Gravity Pike posted:

They are pretty, though.

Honestly I think the frame itself looks really boring, almost cheap because there's not that much visual interest to it - it's all just square. looks kind of like a "fancy" lampstand from Ikea or something to me. The dripping mechanism looks cool, but like someone else said you can buy the dripper / funnel anywhere. i'd say they're preeeeetty high

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

traveling midget posted:

I was in Starbucks the other day (because I still drink their sugarwater stuff, can't stop that addiction) and the barista offered "light roast, medium roast, or dark roast" to the guy in front of me. He chose dark roast, I cowered in fear.

They actually introduced a loving darker roast along with the blond. Dear god.

i just started working at starbucks today (don't murder me please) and we have to do a "tasting" of every bean they have. even the manager who was doing it with me dreaded tasting their "dark" roast coffees, and the employee coffee "passport" they hand out has all the nuances listed. the word "smoky" is used quite often and they call their roast "the Starbucks Roast"

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I might pick up a Starbucks job just long enough to pick up that training, it'd be neat just for further enjoying of great coffee.

it's not hard. in total, it's like an hour of the entire training. basically they teach you to cup your hand over the cup and smell it, slurp the coffee as you drink it and then let it sit on your tongue. it's easier to have the passport in front of you so you can read the nuances it mentions and find them in your mouth. it's not hard really, after you do it a couple times you get the hang of it.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
nevermind

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
Anyone use an electric kettle and have a recommendation for a good one?

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

eggsovereasy posted:

I've had mine for years and it still heats water, not sure what else to say about an electric kettle.

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-115S-X-Press-2-Liter-Cordless/dp/B000KDVTJI/ref=pd_sim_k_2

Yeah I was looking at this one, that'll probably be it.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

dema posted:

I found pour over to be much easier to deal with. Just toss the filter and give the cone a quick rinse.

This. i've abandoned a drip machine all together and only really use my press if it's something special.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Squashy Nipples posted:

We've been using Starbucks french roast ground to "percolator grind". Good poo poo, would recommend it!

:stonk: why would you ever do that. poo poo smells like dead fish when we grind it, and even worse when we brew. seriously, if you're going to use starbucks coffee at least use a semi decent one - komodo is my favorite dark.

yeah yeah, cue the starbucks hate but as a ~*partner*~ i get it for free so i work with what i can.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

swagger like us posted:

I tried it, and even got it made over a pour over at one of their places. Somehow it still tasted burnt.

To be fair though I havent actually tried getting fresh beans, grinding it myself and doing it myself on a pour over. So I cant say for certain it wasnt just because the barista dumped hot water over a melitta pourover.

We're taught to grind it way coarser than it should be, and with no real technique in the pour. We stop brewing the light roast and decaf after noon or so, and if a customer wants one of those after noon we do pour overs. There's people that HATE the pour overs for some reason.

e: they just had a huge conference for all the store managers in Houston and my store manager brought back pictures of the roasting process, and she said that our coffee is better because it goes "past the second pop" i didn't even bother fighting with her. she had a picture of some first-crack beans and was like "LOOK HOW FLAT AND BORING IT IS"

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 15, 2012

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Whalley posted:

But that dusty golden color is so loving vibrant and rich and mouth watering and they roast their beans to that awful cheap looking shiny black that just looks depressing.

I worked at Starbucks years and years ago and I remember the training process being really surprisingly good, but it was also weirdly focused on showing why the company does everything wrong. There was literally a point where they talked about roast differences and the training instructor said "of course, we roast beyond the second crack because as a multinational brand, our hands are tied in regards to consistency between stores, if we roasted any lighter you couldn't say that a latte in Singapore tastes just like one in Boise, Idaho."

The training has apparently changed somewhat since 2006, 2007?

My store manager is very much a pawn to the starbucks machine, she believes all the bullshit that they feed her and passes it onto us. She talked about roasting so dark in order to "extract the unique flavor of the beans" but she's also pretty incompetent at the job so that's not too surprising really. There's a local roasting company that has excellent espresso though, and if anyone complains to me about our coffee / bitter, burnt espresso i'll tell them to go there.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: New page so I'll ask, does anyone have personal experience with that Bonavita electric kettle with temperature control? I'm going to the US next month, so maybe I'll pick one up.

It rules. I have one, anything specific you want to know about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

frenchnewwave posted:

edit: Has anyone heard of/tried Gimme! Coffee from NY? A local "coffee shop" is using their beans but the coffee was TERRIBLE. Undrinkable. Wondering if they brewed good beans incorrectly or the beans are poo poo to begin with.

Gimme! is local ish to my area (their roastery is ~1hr from where i live) and their coffee is really good, so i'm guessing it was brewed incorrectly. I've never had a bad experience with it. If you were feeling especially kind you may want to alert them that such and such coffeehouse does a poo poo job of brewing their beans