Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I finally saw this thread, though I haven't read through it all. Some months ago I found a small roastery that I pass regularly on my way through Delaware, and I stopped to sample his coffee. It seems really good, utterly different from the grocery-store and Starbucks coffee that I'm used to. I used to use a blade grinder years ago to grind beans, but got sick of the noise and gave up grinding and just went with standard bagged coffee. Having tried a much better quality of coffee now, I recently got a ROK grinder so that I can grind beans on my own. Now coffee tastes great and making it pleases me a lot! I need to get a decent coffee maker next. I looked around, and my thoughts are leading toward a Kitchen-Aid siphon coffee maker, does anyone have any thoughts on or experience with it? Sorry if it has been discussed earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Man you guys have no respect for National Coffee Day. This is not what Juan Valdez fought and died for.

Our Father, who art in Columbia...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Frankston posted:

Speaking of online beans, anyone know any good UK-based websites? I'm looking to branch beyond 'whatever my local supermarket is stocking'.

You'd have to check them out, but googling "uk coffee roasters" brings up quite a few links.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

porktree posted:

But I care. :) so has thermoblock technology come far enough along that it's on par with a sweet fat brass boiler? Does heat transfer to the portafilter? That is a neat looking machine, but so was the Francis Francis.

If I was spending that money, I'd go after a Breville BES900XL. Because at $800 whats another $200 :)

edit - yes keep writing your reviews I really enjoy them.

Out of curiosity, what problems did the Francis Francis have? A coworker likes the look of them, but even ones needing repair seem pricey.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Scaramouche posted:

Lady comes in, buys a $2,000 machine. We give her the usual warning about using oily beans, she says "oh don't worry, I use a blade grinder!" smdh

What are the issues with oily beans?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I want to throw a beatdown on both these guys and force them to drink Maxwell House Instant Coffee for eternity

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Scaramouche posted:

Hah ha! Remember when I said this? We had someone bring in a Sette 270 (non-W) and it's got crazy static. Not in the bin, in the actual grinder head itself. It looks crazy, almost like coffee is flowing back up into the grinder. I thought the big static problem was beans to hopper/grounds to bin, have you guys run across static so bad it can't even get out of the grinder head? The repair techs are handling it but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has seen it.

I have static on my manual ROK grinder, but never so bad that the coffee can't get out. Seems to be worse with lighter roast / drier beans vs. darker roast / oilier beans.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RichterIX posted:

I was just curious-- what's the going rate for a bag of coffee for your local roasters? I'm in Indianapolis and I'm generally paying $15-$18 for a 12oz bag, which is okay because I don't go through it very fast but it does seem loving expensive.

In NW NJ I pay $13 - $17 per pound of coffee at my local roastery.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Scaramouche posted:

I found the article I was thinking of so you guys know that I'm not just pulling it out of my rear end:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/why-drinking-coffee-first-thing-in-the-morning-is-a-bad-idea-10291621.html

The takeaway is apparently you slowly process cortisol in the morning after you wake up, and people can use coffee to "jumpstart" or avoid this. Your body then starts to rely on the external jumpstart (caffeine) instead of the internal one (cortisol), and it leads to habituation, a less "natural" start to the day, etc. According to the article your body does this when you get up, 12pm, and 5pm, so you should drink coffee in the troughs in between those times.

A graph to back you up more:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A goon-owned coffee roastery in NJ got a good write up! He sells through SAmart.
https://www.nj.com/food/2022/04/njs-best-coffee-roaster-is-hidden-in-south-jersey-national-site-says.html