Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Cream in cold brew is way more acceptable than in hot brew IMO. Not weird at all. It's very well-suited to it, especially since there's no real risk of screwing up the temperature.

(I say this while drinking a creamed-and-sugared hot brew, so not judging)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've mostly lost the taste for cream & sugar in coffee, but once in a while it's kind of a nice little nostalgic comfort thing. But I'd feel bad doing it to quality coffee. Such are the pros and cons of having to stick to Food Lion beans when the money's tight.

I mean, technically I guess I do it to espresso all the time, but that's different

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

goodness posted:

French press was cheap, but grinders not so much. Every thread I find online is recommending $100+, I was thinking more $30 if that's possible? At that range it looks like I'm going manual . That shouldn't get too tiresome if Ill only be drinking 1-2 cups a day

Check this one out:
Bassani Home Manual Ceramic Burr Coffee Bean Grinder 

I've had either this or one that looks exactly like it for about 2 years. (Someone bought it for me off my wish list so I can't go back and check for sure that it's the exact make/model.) It's worked great. Makes 1-2 cups at a time. It's also like the only arm workout I get these days. It's not too hard though. And if you want to grind more than 1 French press worth at a time, just dump it in a jar or something and grind more.

Mine didn't come with a great instruction manual, but you'll need to fiddle around with the parts a little before you get how they work. You can, and should, adjust the grind size by turning the gear thingy. Unfortunately it won't retain this when you take it apart to clean it... To be honest, I get around that by just not cleaning it super often.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The first time I made cold brew I didn't realize the recipe was intended to be diluted afterward. I was taken aback that I had plowed through the same amount of grounds that usually lasts me 4 days in a day and a half...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:wtc: I'm supposed to dilute my cold brew??
I've been making that poo poo and drinking it next day like nothing...I mean I like it that way. I routinely order 'LIGHT ICE' when I get an iced coffee/brew from a cafe. Get that gross water outta there! EW!

Well for the recipe I was using, yes. Although I've heard the end result with cold brew, generally, is less caffeinated per bean. (That "per bean" is key, though.)

I would imagine a good rule of thumb is, if going by the recipe you end up using 2-3x as many beans as you would for the same amount of hot coffee, you're probably supposed to dilute it. But I mean, you do you. Depends on whether you can afford hella beans.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 7, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm going to put in a good word for French press, they aren't expensive at all but they make much better coffee than a cheap drip. Requires more manual interaction though. I don't have a pour-over but those seem good too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My gut feeling is that they probably use more water than necessary and it's probably kept hotter than necessary. And as others have said you can guarantee it's Maxwell House, Folgers, or something like that. Why wouldn't they water it down if they can get away with it, right? At the same time, I don't usually perceive diner coffee as weak, so it must be like, just enough water to not taste awful.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

silvergoose posted:

Make Japanese iced coffee instead: about a third of the water is ice instead, make pourover with the rest directly onto the ice, done.

I'm a fan of this but it's definitely a different thing. There is a significant flavor difference with actual cold brew. They both have their advantages.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Echoing that Swiss water processed is what you need to look for. There might be a few other phrases that mean the same thing, basically if they brag about being organic and natural and stuff you're usually good. You'll typically have to seek out a good local roaster's offerings, but a lot of them do it. I don't mean you have to actually find the roaster's place of business though, just any store that sells local coffee, or somewhere like Whole Foods.

And yes, I have tried it myself and it's pretty good. It can't beat real coffee, but it doesn't taste like total garbage the way regular decaf does.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like a crazy person with the ratio thing because I love me some strong coffee, but for some reason the ratio recommendations have absolutely never worked out for me. Always ends up ridiculously strong and very obviously far beyond the amount of grounds recommended everywhere else. I must be doing it wrong, I dunno.

But anyway, I'm also a French press guy and I usually do more like a 22:1 ratio. 38-40 g of grounds to 900 mL of water. Even that is a bit stronger than I used to make it, as I used to follow the manufacturer recommendation of 4 "scoops" and this is closer to 6.

Maybe there's a space/time anomaly in my crawlspace affecting the gravitational constant or something

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

QuarkMartial posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a ~$40 grinder? I really don't grind my own coffee any more because the Black & Decker fake burr grinder I have is a PITA to clean. I'd rather toss it and get something else to grind the random bag of coffee beans I occasionally get gifted.

I mean, this might be dumb, but can you do it with a food processor? I already grind stuff with it (oatmeal to oat flour, various nuts into butters, hummus), so is there any reason it wouldn't work?

E: Oh, and this would be for various coarse grind stuff, drip pot, aero press, french press, percolator, cold brew.

I can only assume your food processor has metal blades, which are way too "choppy" rather than "grindy", and I seriously doubt it would be an improvement over even a crappy coffee grinder. At best it would probably produce an extremely uneven grind size unless you pulverized the beans into powder, which you said you didn't want.

You might be dead set on an electric one, but just in case you're not, I use this manual one:
Bassani Home Manual Ceramic Burr Coffee Bean Grinder 
It takes a few minutes per cup, but it's really not bad. And it doesn't really seem to need to be cleaned much. I'm sure some people are adamant about it, but honestly I clean it like once every 2 months.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Love Stole the Day posted:

What kinds of coffee beans do you guys like and where do you buy them from?

For my money -- which, literally, is not much -- Aldi sells 2 varieties (Peru and Honduras) that are the best I've had at their price point, by far. Good for when things are tight but you can't bring yourself to drink garbage.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, my eyelid started twitching so I'm cutting down on caffeine for awhile to see if that helps. What's the most serviceable decaf coffee I can get at the supermarket /online not amazon

Look for "Swiss water process" or similar verbiage, which is a method that usually retains more flavor with less weird aftertaste. (It's potentially "more natural" but not necessarily.) It's not super easy to find, but definitely easier than it used to be.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Handheld burr grinders are awesome and you can get one for roughly the cost of 2 bags of locally roasted beans.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe they should switch to blue bottles, has anyone made this joke yet

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mystes posted:

Any whole bean coffee that's close to the roasting date (and you can figure out the roasting date from the expiration date)? Even Walmart has their own cheap whole bean coffee that's just barely drinkable if it's fresh.

That might be regional, I can never find more than one brand of whole bean coffee at Walmart (Eight O'Clock, unless that's secretly theirs?)

Food Lion has a pretty decent store brand. However, my favorite by far is Aldi's Barissimo beans. There's not much variance in the roasts (I think they're both medium?) but their Honduras & Peru beans are my go-to when I'm not doing anything fancy. They tick all the boxes (organic, fair trade, single origin, etc.) and go for just $4.99 per 12oz bag.

https://www.aldireviewer.com/barissimo-fair-trade-single-origin-organic-coffee/

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hypnophant posted:

Extraction begins when water is in contact with beans

caffeine is stored in the beans

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm kind of hearing different things right now so just to clarify, the fact that light roast has more density (weight) than dark roast means that if you measure by scoop (which you shouldn't), light roast will probably end up with more caffeine. But if you measure by weight, it should pretty much even out, because you will end up compensating for the difference in density.

Unless I've heard wrong too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah the Japanese iced method rules. Very different from cold brew since there are certain things that only happen at high temperatures.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Bean report!

IKEA beans, dark roast
I was at IKEA so I threw a pack of their beans in the bag. They're a dark roast. I grabbed the freshest bag they had, which was from March. Upon opening the bag, I was greeted with... almost nothing. Just the slightest whiff of coffee came from the bag. This didn't change after brewing: the cup had a very weak aroma. Wouldn't recommend, even though the beans are rather cheap.

Starbucks Pike Place Roast
Disappointed with my IKEA beans, I moved on. Since so many people are making GBS threads on Starbucks beans, I wanted to try them anyway, so I went ahead and bought a bag. These are a :airquote: 'medium' roast, produced in May. I'm putting medium in air quotes because the beans are actually jet black. They're also very oily: they will stain paper and leave a faint film on your skin. On the other hand, grinding them goes super smoothly, and the ground beans have a nice fluff to them. How does it taste? Well, it kinda tastes like starbucks. It's a bit ashy, tiny bit chocolatey. I would say not great, but definitely not offensive either. I'll drink up the bag, but probably not buy them again.

If you're looking for good coffee on the cheap, try ALDI if you have one nearby. Specifically this stuff:

It's about $5 a bag and I'm sort of embarrassed to admit I often can't tell the difference between this and small batch, fresh, local roasts that are at least twice as expensive. Only medium roast though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm going to be slightly contrarian here and say that I really can't afford a Baratza grinder, but even with a cheap hand grinder, I've still been able to consistently make better coffee than most people I know. Just a few inexpensive pieces of equipment can drastically improve your coffee compared to the pre-ground Folger's in a cheap drip machine that you'll find in a lot of places. (French press, scale, kettle with built-in thermometer, and hand grinder can all be had for around $30 or less each.) You can keep going from there if your budget allows it, but even the most basic improvements will make a noticeable difference. Just in case you were feeling intimidated.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Welp, I must've been tempting fate earlier when I was talking about hand grinders being good enough for me, because I just dropped my Hario a second time and smashed it up enough that there's no way for the top to screw in place (several parts of the plastic where the threading is broke off). Right now I'm still able to use it by holding the top part gripped tightly over a jar, but it's a real chore.

I'm not sure I want to bother with another hand grinder since this could be an opportunity to upgrade. I'm definitely trying to figure out if there's any way I can scrape up enough cash for a Baratza Encore, but I really have to consider cheaper options as well. (Student loan deferment might make it possible though.) I did recently see a local roster on Facebook offering some lightly used Capresso burr grinders for about $44. Is that worthwhile? It's this one here:

After doing some more research it looks like this is a disk burr vs. the Capresso Infinity which is conical, and also the one I see referenced more often here. So now I'm thinking... maybe not?

My usage is 90% French press, 10% other stuff, and I do not have a real espresso machine and don't plan on getting one any time soon.

I might take the plunge for the Encore, but I just want to know I'm not missing out on a cheaper option that would be 95% as good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I might finally be coming into enough money to get a Baratza Encore (a significant step up from my Hario Slim whose plastic container broke a while ago and is now jury-rigged to a jar with a rubber band). I've been assuming I'd go with a refurbished one, but now I'm wondering about the shipping cost, since a new one on Amazon might have free shipping. Does anyone have a general idea of how expensive the shipping is on Baratza refurbs? I'm not expecting an exact figure, just a general idea of whether it sucks or not. Without the shipping it's about a $50 difference IIRC (no refurbs are currently available to check) so I'm just trying to estimate how much of that difference gets made back up by shipping.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 20, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ok cool, that sounds good to me. So it'll probably come down to how long I want to wait for a refurb to become available. I have been checking every now and then and it seems like they get one every couple of weeks.

Edit:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Iirc they update their restock inventory on thursdays so you might want to check then. The popular grinders tend to go fast.

That's helpful, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 21, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Dialing in espresso with a high quality hand grinder is fine

Well yeah, but you're gonna have to be more specific, that's the whole point :rimshot:

I've enjoyed hand grinding every morning, but with upcoming changes to my work schedule, having a Baratza Encore is definitely going to help. Even though the grinding itself doesn't take terribly long, knowing I'll have to pause whatever else I'm doing at a specific time definitely limits things.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Finally got a Baratza Encore yesterday and wow. I had really tempered my expectations that it would actually make my coffee taste noticeably better vs. my Hario Slim hand grinder. (I had other reasons for wanting it, not just taste.) But it actually really is noticeable. So much smoother. Bad day for democracy, good day for coffee.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah even though I was just in here raving* about my new Baratza Encore being so much better than a cheap Hario hand grinder, I still recommend that (and everything else the guy above me said) as your entry point, unless you're ready to spend. Fresh ground vs. pre-ground is just a whole world of difference right off the bat. I'd also emphasize that if you don't have a food scale, get one. It's another very inexpensive thing that will make a significant difference, and it's useful for way more than just coffee. It makes it so much easier to stay consistent, especially if you buy a variety of different roasts from different sources. (Which you probably will.)

*Crazy Old Maurice, hmm

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Fake Espresso questions: so I'm all in love with my new Baratza Encore. I also occasionally make espresso, but not with a real espresso machine, just this standard one that's like $30 and I usually put Cafe Bustelo in it. I'm probably never getting a real espresso setup, like until retirement or whatever at least. But I still felt inspired to try buying some whole bean espresso.

All those caveats in place, any recommendations on grind size? I know it's kind of like asking a professional photographer to take a picture with my phone, but I figured I'd ask in case anyone else does the same thing. So far I've tried 8 and 10, but I feel like it's not quite there yet. 8 seemed maybe not strong enough, 10 seemed a little sour. My instinct is to maybe go a little higher but I wanted to ask anyway. (Also I think I did 20g first, then upped it to 22, might do 24 next time because it still seemed like there was a little headroom.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sorry, I didn't realize how unclear I was being. (Probably what I get for posting on a morning when I desperately need espresso in addition to my usual full French press.) I'm talking about one of these electric countertop things that has no settings. Slightly more than $30 I guess, but not by much.
https://www.amazon.com/IMUSA-USA-GAU-18202-Cappuccino-Cappuccion/dp/B07L85NN3T
I'm not sure if this is the exact one because I didn't buy it, it was a gift (I would've asked for something a little better).

I'll take it to heart that there's no way to give an exact number. That's interesting that I might have to go a little finer though, I wouldn't have guessed that, so that helps. To me it looks like I'm grinding slightly finer than Bustelo which made me think I needed to go coarser. But then again, Bustelo is just what my relatives use, so I guess it's not necessarily what I should be aiming for.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Lol maybe they're not as common as I thought. For some reason I got it into my head that that's basically the standard hella basic American "espresso" machine (knowing full well that it's not technically espresso or whatever). I originally got a different branded one as a wedding gift, it was slightly better than this one but basically the same thing. My in-laws have also always had one, recently replaced with a Mr. Coffee brand. So it's seemed really common, but I guess the common thread is the in-laws. Seems like every company makes their own version of it though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PolishPandaBear posted:

I thought also that once you compress the grounds, extraction is supposed to stop, or at least slow down a lot, since the water isn't freely intermingling with the grounds.

That way you don't need to pour the coffee into a separate vessel right away.

Yeah I usually pour immediately just to be all precious about it, but pressing the grounds to the bottom probably does severely reduce the need to do that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Carillon posted:

My partner generally likes espresso as her coffee of choice, often with a little unsteamed milk.

I'm not the espresso expert, but if she usually takes it with milk, I'm thinking you might be able to get away with a cheap machine. Note that "cheap" is extremely relative here, I'm not suggesting actually being a cheapskate, but just y'know, being realistic. A high-end setup could ultimately be more of a burden on both of you.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
FYI I just got an email from FrenchPressCoffee.com, where I purchased my Baratza Encore, that it's going up in price by $30 soon, and they're increasing some other prices as well.

quote:

Please be advised that Baratza will increase prices (see below), effective August 1, 2021 due to increases in production and freight costs.

Baratza Encore is increasing from $139 to $169.95

Baratza Sette 30 is increasing from $249 to $299.95 

Baratza Sette 270Wi is increasing from $549 to $599.95 

All other grinders will remain at the same price. 

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm currently trying to redeem my moka pot as well. I was excited when Hoffman's video came out, but ultimately it seems like what I've already been doing. If anything I was probably being too conservative and not letting it go fast enough because I knew the high heat and sputtering were bad. Ultimately though, I feel like there's probably a reason this device is most popular in cultures where they also add a pastry-like amount of sugar to the brew. Not saying it can't make good coffee, but it seems like a lot of work with results that are very hard to control.

(Or maybe I'm just bitter because of the very bitter moka brew I'm drinking at this very moment)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So my morning French Press routine is changing, and I'm looking into buying a bigger one -- and a bigger kettle to go along with it. Currently I have a press that I think is 1L full capacity (I usually get 800 ml of coffee out of it, which I can stretch to 900 if I leave the top loose). And I have a stovetop gooseneck kettle that also appears to be about 1L.

I see that Bodum sells up to 1.5L French presses, and I can even find a 1.75L on Amazon (SterlingPro -- not a brand I'm familiar with). For the kettle, I still want temperature control, so at that capacity I'm thinking maybe an electric kettle is the way to go. But it's hard to find any that have close to 1.5L of water and also a gooseneck. I could definitely do without the gooseneck if necessary, but it'd be nice.

Any recommendations from personal experience? Or conversely, is there any issue with doing >1L of French press that I should be aware of?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hypnophant posted:

Bonavita appear to make a 1.7L temperature controlled gooseneck electric kettle, though it’s out of stock everywhere I can find at the moment. That said I think it’s kind of an unnecessary luxury for French press unless you’re using dark roasts, as water just off the boil will be fine for light or medium.

Is there any particular reason you want to keep using the press for this much volume? 1.5L is almost exactly the capacity of a 9-cup drip machine (the oxo gets good reviews), which seems like an easier way to get that. If you do want to stick with press, 1.5L is enough that I’d want to get a thermal carafe to transfer it to once it’s brewed, and maybe even a fancy ember mug to drink it. Those would be my priorities over throwing a hundred bucks or more at a giant temp controlled kettle.

Well the gooseneck is definitely the least important thing by far, I honestly wasn't even sure what it does, I just like the feel of the small stovetop one I have.

I guess it's a similar answer for French press vs. drip machine -- I've just been using the press for so long at this point. The last time I used a drip machine I was still buying pre-ground. So maybe I just have an unfairly negative perception of it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

theHUNGERian posted:

If I am enjoying my baratza encore and stove top moka pot (along with a variety of beans), how would I determine if I am missing out on anything (a better grinder or a fancy espresso machine)?

I feel like if you're actually consistently enjoying your moka pot coffee you should just accept that you've won and give the rest of us a chance to catch up

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This feels well outside the thread's purview, but I figured it's worth a shot.

My sister is way less into coffee than I am, but she's apparently starting a journey into black coffee and she's trying out different styles. The machine she bought is this:

Hamilton Beach Scoop Single Serve Coffee Maker, Fast Brewing, Stainless Steel (49981A)

So my first impression is not overly positive, but hey, gotta start somewhere. I'm guessing the machine is expecting standard drip-sized grounds, since they seem to be going for maximum convenience here. I do see one stray mention of espresso in the description, which throws me way off, but in light of all the other evidence I'm basically choosing to ignore that.

So I guess I'm basically just posting this here in case anyone has had experience with one of these and can offer some advice. If not, I'll probably just buy her the best drip grind I can find.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Broke another Bodum glass French press this morning :( Although it's been at least 5 years since the last one broke, under extremely heavy use, so not too shabby I guess. It's mostly still usable for brewing, but pouring is probably* going to be a complete mess, as the pour spout is what broke.

Any thread recommendations on a new one? (1 liter) I'm certainly interested in something less breakable, but we are kind of sticklers for glass/ceramic rather than metal or plastic, unless someone can convince me otherwise. I think I've seen ones with a metal exterior and ceramic interior, which would be great. Just wondering if there's anything specific I should be on the lookout for.

* I say "probably" because it broke in between making my own morning coffee and my wife's morning coffee before leaving for work, so I didn't actually get a chance to try it. But I'm assuming the worst, and it doesn't seem like a great idea to keep using a cracked glass carafe regardless.

EDIT: If anyone's wondering, I went with Espro P3. The reviews from around the web all seem to agree it's great.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'd love it if Baratza did some kind of trade-in program for the Encore to get a discount on the ESP. I know that's probably unreasonable from their perspective as most people have had them for years, but since I just got mine a little over a year ago I've definitely got the itch. Truthfully I don't do espresso all that often anyway so it's probably just FOMO.