Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Does anyone know a good place to find a small single hole ceramic or glass pour over brewer? I like the Bonmac #2 at Sweet Maria's but I don't really like the idea of paying $10 to ship a $15 item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, I was looking at that one, but there seem to be a lot of reviews saying it's thin/cheap/will crack. Since I've got Prime, though, and returns are free, I'll probably try it out.

Other question: do you guys recommend electric or stovetop kettles? I'm considering getting a Bonavita electric kettle or either the Hario Buono or the non-electric version of the Bonavita. Both of the latter look a bit thin, though, so I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable putting them on the stove...

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 8, 2012

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The Starbucks in one of the libraries on campus is pushing their new "Blonde" roast by offering samples of coffee from their three different roast levels. It's supposed to be a lighter roast than normal. I asked the kid giving out samples if it was more like a Viennese roast and he said "I don't know what a Vietnamese roast is". I tried it anyway, and, as you'd expect, it still tasted like charcoal.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 12, 2012

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I love a decent coffee, but I don't drink that much - maybe a cup in the morning 3 or 4 times a week. I use a french press, and my awesome girlfriend got me a nice burr grinder for Christmas. So far I've been using supermarket beans (Taylor's of Harrogate if anyone cares - I like their tea and preground and thought it would be a good place to start), but would like to start ordering some from roasters.

My concern is that I won't use the beans fast enough so the whole buying fresh thing won't be worthwhile. A half pound bag probably lasts me 2-3 weeks, and I keep the beans in tupperware in my fridge. I guess the obvious answer is to buy less, more often, but that seems like it'll get expensive fast when I'm paying for postage too. Anyone have any good ideas on what I could do to improve things? I think I'm making pretty OK coffee at the moment, but when I get a cup from a nice coffee shop the difference is obvious. I'm in West Yorkshire if anyone has any local recommendations.

Two suggestions:

1) Find a local roaster.

2) Do any of your friends like good coffee? You could buy a pound at a time and split it with another person or two so that you always have fresh coffee. That's what Im trying to do, anyway, but most of my friends don't seem to care enough :smith:.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

kirtar posted:

If I want a decaf for when I feel like having coffee soon before going to sleep, what are good (preferably inexpensive since it'll likely be around for a while) options? I know that the water process decafs are supposed to be good, but I'd like to see if I can get something for maybe 10-12 dollars a bag including shipping if applicable. I suppose I could just order two bags (one decaf one regular) from somewhere.

Decaf?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Anyone here ever used a filter basket to brew coffee? I just recently bought one of these, only planning to use it for tea, but have started using it for my coffee as well. It's fantastic.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

If you have any local roasters they might let you buy unroasted beans from them as well

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What are some good travel mugs?

I'm not really looking for anything much more sophisticated than a regular mug with a lid. My priorities are:
  • Doesn't affect the taste. I'm guessing this probably means I want a ceramic or glass interior?
  • Keeps coffee warm for the ~15-20 minutes I'll be drinking it.
  • Easy to clean.
I don't really care about it being spill proof or anything like that. And I'd rather it not make me go broke.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 19, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Do y'all know of anywhere other than Sweet Maria's to get Filtropa filters? I have nothing against SM, I just don't need to buy anything else from them right now and don't really want to pay for shipping on just filters. Have any of you had luck getting them at your local coffee shops?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

o muerte posted:

Amazon stocks them, yet another reason to love amazon prime.

It looks like they don't have the white #4? Or have I just missed it?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ded posted:

So I am finally getting around to watching Hannibal and saw this thing on the show :

I found something that looks similar on amazon for $140. My question is how is the coffee from these?

What even is that? Some sort of vac pot?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

becoming posted:

Depends on how you want to drink it. For a cold drink that I'm going to dilute 1:1 with milk, I like to use a french press grind and a 1:8 ratio - so I might use 100g beans with 800g water. I put it in a jar, put the jar in a cool dark place (top of my pantry), and let it sit for 12-14 hours. Filter it, put it in another jar, and then mix 1:1 with milk, cold water, or a combination thereof. So maybe 200g concentrate, 100g water, 100g milk.

If I want to drink it hot - by adding hot water - I go for a ratio of 1:4. Follow the same procedure as above, but when it comes time to dilute, I'm now going one part concentrate to three parts hot water. 100g concentrate, 300g of very hot water.

Those are obviously two very different drinks. The nice thing about the cold brew 1:4 is that I can dispense hot water from my Zojirushi hot pot and have a cup of hot coffee in all of about thirty seconds in the morning, or I can mix it 1:1 with cold water, then mix that concoction 1:1 with milk and have a pretty great iced coffee drink.

48 hours is probably much too long, but I encourage you to try it and report back!

I have a question about your cold brew method. When you say you go for a ratio of 1:4 do you also mean you do 100g beans and 400g water to make your concentrate? Or do you make the same 1:8 ratio concentrate, and then dilute that 1:4 with water later?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 14, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Nothing quite like sitting in a cafe drinking a latte, watching the beans I'll be buying tomorrow get roasted.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Just discovered that you can easily disassemble the clever coffee dripper for easy cleaning. Nice!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

So I'm going back home for a week on Saturday and was thinking of taking my capresso infinity with me. Any tips for transporting it on a plane?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

A friend posted this set of charts of famous artists' daily schedules. Apparently Beethoven would've been perfectly at home in this thread:

quote:

Breakfast was coffee, which he prepared himself with great care - he determined that there should be sixty beans per cup, and he often counted them one by one for a precise dose.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

That looks awesome. Too bad I don't have a goosene—oh snap the Bonavita temperature controlled gooseneck is back on Massdrop for $72.99+ $5/shipping. Goodbye, all my money.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Megaspel posted:

I'm spending about £15 a month on Dolce Gusto pods. What direction do y'all think I should go in for cheaper and better coffee? I can definitely get fresh, roasted coffee beans locally and I can flog my machine for about £50 to offset the price of grinders and things, though I can't stretch too far from that.

EDIT: Alternatively, I could pick up a couple reusable pods for about £10, but I hear they are all poo poo forever. Is there any truth to that, or are they possibly just reviews by the Dolce Gusto marketing team or people who are bad at coffee?

I think the standard Starter Kit is a capresso infinity (or a refurb Baratza Maestro if you can find one), a clever coffee dripper, and a kettle. This will already bring your coffee quality way up, especially if you're using locally, recently roasted (<2 weeks) beans.

If you want more precision in your brews, get this $17 scale, and maybe even a cheap thermometer if you're not comfortable just winging it with your water temperature.

If you feel you haven't spent enough money yet, you can get a variable temperature kettle, or even the bonavita variable temp gooseneck, which you can then use with a traditional pourover brewer like the Hario V60 or Kalita Wave.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 1, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Megaspel posted:

Is the taste difference really worth it? I'm on a student budget, and I think the £15 or so a month was expensive enough. I have no idea what a fresh coffee tastes like compared to what I normally drink.

Maybe find a good cafe that serves pourover coffee and see how you like it?

Also gonna echo what Mu Zeta said and highly suggest you don't skimp on the grinder, since that's the most important part of your kit by far. I know what it's like to be on a student budget (I'm still in school as well), but I really do think if you enjoy good coffee it is worth it to save up and buy a good grinder.

Seems weird that coffee is so expensive over there compared to gusto pods. In the states I'm pretty sure switching from pods to real coffee would cut your monthly coffee bill in half, at least.

If you want to go the home roasting route, that could probably save you some more money, and allow you access to freshly roasted coffee when you move back home. Info about that is in the first post, I believe.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Timid posted:

On the topic of bad coffee, what do you guys think of McDonalds coffee?
I havent had it for a little while, but I remember it not being that bad. I think I read somewhere that they grind their beans in store? I might be thinking of something else though.

Yeah, I remember it being tolerable. Then again, it was loaded with milk and sugar and I was exhausted from driving for 9 hours that day. But I think it was ok.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

So what's the deal withKalita Wave vs. Hario V60? Any tips on which one I should get as my first real pourover? (I've been using the CCD so far) I'm leaning V60 since it seems the filters are thinner and easier to find than the Wave, but I by no means have made up my mind.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Great, thank you.
I'm pretty pumped to get more into coffee. I've been using an aeropress for about a year and, while I think I am making an okay cup now, the new grinder has me wanting to upgrade everything and try out some new stuff.

One of us! One of us!

Careful, it's a slippery slope you're on right now. I started innocently enough a few months ago with a clever coffee dripper, a capresso infinity, and a cheap kettle from Target, and in the past 2 days i've spent $115 on a new kettle (Bonavita Variable Temp. Gooseneck) and a new pourover set. Fun times ahead!

E: Oh, and if you don't have one, I highly recommend getting a scale so you can accurately measure your water and coffee. We pretty much all have the same $17 one from Amazon. It's been linked a few times in the past few pages.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 7, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

In reading about the Kalita Wave I've heard some people talk about the "zero pour" (a silly word meaning "pouring with the spout almost touching the grounds, and seen people advocate buying the smaller one if you don't need the extra size of the bigger one. Is this BS or is there something to it?

E:FB

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Haha my gf is going to love me getting excited about ANOTHER HOBBY.
So much more to research, learn, love, ....and buy.

Hey now, it's not your fault. What were you going to do, let your good friend's birthday present go to waste?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

becoming posted:

Build quality is good? And I agree with you, it looks loads better than both.

Ceramic is a heatsink and really requires pretty extensive pre-heating, otherwise it will suck a few dozen degrees out of your slurry, so that is a downside to ceramic. The only downside I know of for the plastic V60 is it doesn't look anywhere near as sexy as its stainless & ceramic shelf-mates.

There's a stainless version of the V60? I've only found glass, plastic, and ceramic.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Oh god this hobby really is going to take all my money, isn't it.

More Kalita Wave talk:

For the filters, should I get the white or brown? I'm assuming white are better (less paper taste?) but Amazon seems to be out of stock. Where's a good place to get filters?

Will the Kalita Wave 155 fit on the hario servers? I've been meaning to get a server for a while and it seems the hario ones are cheaper. Also, with servers, is there any advantage of getting a bigger or a smaller one?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

rockcity posted:

Oddly enough I came to post the same thing. A little while back when I upgraded to the Breville Smart Grinder I took my apart to clean it inside and out and set aside because I was going to give it to my brother. I gave it to him and he said about the same thing, that it's grinding on one setting basically. I think his is actually stuck on one of the coarsest settings if I recall correctly. I swore I put it together exactly how I took it apart, but I guess not.

I had this exact same problem when I cleaned mine, and the issue was that I didn't tighten that top screw enough. You really have to crank it down until you can't tighten it anymore (by hand). That lowers the bottom burr, moving it farther away from the top burr, and allowing you to make grinds that aren't super fine.

Also, make sure the ball bearings and springs are in place properly. I remember they had a tendency to slip out of place while I was tightening the screw if I didn't hold the top burr firmly in place with my other hand.

E: question about CCD cleanup: I've noticed the inside of my CCD is getting some nasty white scaly buildup on it. I tried to clean it out with boiling water/vinegar mixture and it did nothing. Any tips?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 16, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

o muerte posted:

At least with the Infinity the burr is screwed into a plastic piece, which makes it dangerous to really tighten that sucker down.

Very true! Which, I think, is why I was scared to tighten it enough in the first place. Obviously, don't overtighten it, or you will probably destroy your grinder. I probably won't ever disassemble mine fully again, but now that I've tightened it enough, it grinds like it did the day I bought it.

Oh, for the record, I initially misread rockcity's post. Mine was stuck grinding only fines (like o muerte) until I fully tightened the screw.

In happier news:

My Kalita Wave came in yesterday and I finally got a chance to brew with it today. I'm not sure how much to attribute to the wave and how much to attribute to the coffee (I used an Ethiopian coffee whereas normally I brew a Colombian one), but the flavors are way more in-your-face than they were with the CCD. It's possible I over extracted it a bit, but it's still quite good.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 17, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Bronze posted:

You guys point to this scale a lot. Looks kinda small to solidly hold a french press or glass server. Is that really not an issue?

I regularly brew into large mason jars or a 1000ml Hario server and have never had any issues. For the record, the tray is about 3.75 inches wide (and it's square)

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 23, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on sourcing decent prefab k-cups? We finally got a Keurig in at work, but it's pretty impractical to deal with the refillable metal cup here.

Before someone else says this less tactfully: this thread is generally pretty anti-Keurig. You probably won't find much Keurig-related advice here other than "get rid of it and replace it with actual coffee." Sorry.

For those of you brewing with the wave:

Anyone mind sharing their numbers with me? Specifically, brew ratios, mass of water per pour, timing of pours, etc. Thanks!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

TheJeffers posted:

It's been mentioned, but Sweet Maria's usually has a wide range of unroasted decafs in stock, and home roasting is cheap and easy if you have the space. If you want decaf and really care about the quality, you'd probably be best off taking matters into your own hands.

Is home decaffeination a thing? Actually, gently caress it, why don't we just go full nerd and make transgenic coffee beans that don't even express caffeine? In theory you should be able to get coffee with no caffeine but with all the flavor of regular coffee. Please tell me one if you folks is a molecular biologist?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Eugh this makes me even more mad that my massdrop purchase (for $77) is lost in some UPS black hole. Anyone here have experience cancelling with massdrop?

E: Cancelled the massdrop kettle, ordered the $60. Here's hoping this one arrives this year!

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 25, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What's the thread's official opinion on the Fino kettle? I just ordered one on Amazon for $18. Figure it can't be terrible, can it?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I feel like I'm going to eventually have to start roasting my own coffee, so I might as well ask: how apartment-friendly is the air popper method? Is there some other method I should be considering instead? Also it seems from Sweet Maria's that the only important thing is the vent style; is there anything else I should look for in particular?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

So I just brewed, very carefully—dare I say tenderly—a large batch of coffee for my girlfriend and I . . . right into the water I'd used to wash the paper filter. Truly a sad day. The only upside is I got to brew two batches of coffee today instead of just one.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 27, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Alright I'll probably try an air popper and see what happens. Worst case I burn my apartment to the ground, I guess.

Has anyone here drilled a hole in a kettle for a thermometer? Good/bad idea?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

PeriodCommaColon posted:

What kind of kettle is it? I just leave the top of my kettle and prop the probe over it so that it hangs into the water.

The Fino kettle.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 28, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Fino kettle and Hario V60 just arrived today. Never sleeping again.

VVV yeah the fino has three small holes that are just barely too small for the thermometer. Looked around online and saw some people using a drill to enlarge the hole. I'll give it a shot

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 28, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Thanks a lot for this info! Could you give the (approximate) dimensions of the 64 oz dog bowl in case I decide to go with a stainless steel mixing bowl instead?

E: Oh, and, for anyone in the market for a good cheap pouring kettle, I've used my fino for a few brews so far and think it's pretty great. Can't compare it to anything else, but I love it.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I got my Bonavita Variable kettle yesterday and I really like it. I've been using the Hario kettle for years and the Bonavita is clearly better. I find it much easier to control the pour rate. You don't need to really use any skill when using a Chemex but this kettle will let you sperg out and pour really slowly if you want. It also has a little guard in the handle so that your hand doesn't get burned even if you touch the metal kettle.

Yeah this kettle loving rocks. Also how did I not know it has a built-in timer feature? And to think, I was almost going to order a kitchen timer from Amazon.

VVVV where'd you see that? I only see the non-gooseneck kind in 1.7L

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 1, 2014