Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up a Hario Mini-mill and an Aeropress:

Finally got a good coffee setup going. Also grabbed some beans from a local roaster I just found out about. This is basically my first coffee purchase other than k-cups.

It's plastic and ceramic, so can I clean it by just rinsing it out under hot water or do I need to buy one of those grinder brush things? The manual is in loving japanese or something.

What's a good grind setting for brewing with the Aeropress? The manual says to use a "fine-drip" grind, but I'm not sure how many clicks that is on the Hario.

help how do i make a coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

that Vai sound posted:

A handy thing I've learned for evaluating brews is distinguishing sour from bitter. Coffee that is over extracted is bitter. Coffee that is under extracted is sour. Adjust your grind or pour as needed to counteract those.

To give another answer to your question, choose something between the middle and finest setting.

Thanks, that actually helps. There are a lot of variables to play with, especially if you're used to something like a Keurig. Wasted a tons of beans, but it's getting there. I can actually discern flavor notes other than burnt(starbucks)now.

The Hario is cool, but it seems to have a bit of wobble in the shaft, is that typical of most hand grinders?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bob_McBob posted:

It's typical for hand grinders of that type, which are geared towards finer grinds by design. There is no lower bearing, but the burr self-centres at close settings. At coarse settings, there is a lot of wobble and play, which impacts grind quality rather negatively.

Orphan Espresso sells a lower bearing kit for the Skerton which significantly improves coarse grind quality at the expense of fine grind quality. It's only $14.50, so perhaps you might be interested?

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Lower-Bearing-UPGRADE-KIT-for-Hario-Skerton-Kyocera-CM50-Hand-Grinders_p_4066.html

Aside from the wobble, there's a huge bend in the drat shaft. That's what I get for not reading the thread; turns out another goon already posted earlier with the same issue. Plus a bunch of people on coffeegeek.

Should've put the $30 toward a better grinder I guess.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bob_McBob posted:

I just got a Lido hand grinder from Orphan Espresso. It's a brand new product, and they are currently working out some kinks with the catch jar lid cracking in transit (probably from temperature fluctuation), but I am really impressed. It's hand made and machined, and incredibly solid. The workmanship is very high quality. It makes those Hario hand grinders feel like a flimsy toy.

I can grind my usual 18.3g dose in 40 seconds, or 60 seconds at a leisurely pace. Grind retention is essentially nil, so what you put in is what you get out. The grind quality for regular brewed coffee is about as good as it gets until you move up to a shop grinder. I actually prefer it to the Virtuoso/Preciso, because I think the slower grind speed works a bit better when I am weighing out doses and single grinding.

Off to grind my fourth pourover of the day...

:stare:

Goddamn...

That looks like something that belongs in a mechanics toolbox, not a kitchen. I want one.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've been brewing my coffee with the Aeropress mostly according to the manufacturers instructions, and it's tasted pretty good so far. I looked around for some different techniques and was kind of surprised.

What's with the million-odd brewing methods floating around for this thing? Almost every coffee forum I frequent is full of people claiming the included directions are total bullshit. Temp too low, too much coffee, underextraction, etc. The inventor used to post regularly over on coffeegeek and they basically ran him off the forums. Why does this thing spur so much argument? The aeropress seems to bring more dickheads out of the woodwork than most other manual brewing methods.

herbaceous backson fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 27, 2012

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bob_McBob posted:

The only reasons k-cups exist are convenience and laziness. They're marginally better than pod brewing systems or your average nasty office coffee, but that's not saying much.

http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/love-keurig-nope/

They're expensive as poo poo too, at least in my area. It's about $10 for a pack of 10 k-ups at all my local grocery stores, and the cheapest Keurig brewer starts at nearly $100.

It tastes(at least to my uneducated coffee palate) like the same stuff my $20 Black and Decker drip machine puts out.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Aziraphale posted:

So the idea is don't get one?

I'm sure the serious coffee goons will hate me for this but the Keurig does deliver when it comes to speed and convenience. You fill it with water and push a button. Coffee comes out. My wife likes ours because she hates measuring beans, loving around with grinders and waiting on the kettle first thing in the morning. I compost the filter paper and grounds, and use the plastic cups for my seedlings, so the extra waste doesn't bother me.

You could get a decent grinder and one of the brewers in the OP though, for the same money that Keurig will cost you. I picked up a grinder and a couple of the brewers recommended in this thread and found a local roaster, and I've been really pleased so far. Fresh roasted beans ground right before brewing taste a million times better than any k-cup I've ever had.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swagger like us posted:

How do you do this with the k-pods exactly? What do you mean by using the plastic cups for seedlings? Im interested in hearing about how to best recycle the kpods that the GFs mom uses all the time.

Just peel/slice the foil off the top of the used cups, dump out the grounds and pull out the little glued in paper filter. Toss it all in the compost or mulch your houseplants with the grounds.

Then rinse out the cup and you've got the perfect container for seedlings, it's even got a drain hole already poked in the bottom. Fill them with seed starter mix(or dirt), stick em outside or under a grow light:

Once the seedling's ready just pop it into the ground.

herbaceous backson fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 30, 2012

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

1up posted:

Hello coffee-goons, my dad's cuisinart grind & brew recently died and I am in search of a good replacement to get him as a late birthday present.

The SCAA has a list of their certified brewers here(including the Bonavita):

http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GrAviTy84 posted:

As far as brew methods are concerned. I think a cheap melitta filter cone is just fine, you can get them almost anywhere for about $5. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse your filters.

Do you use the same level of technique with these that you would with something like the Hario, or does the smaller hole make it more forgiving?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just picked up the stovetop version of the Bonavita Kettle:

Kicks rear end at pouring, sucks at boiling water. It sounds like a freight train and takes almost twice as long to boil water as my old Kitchenaid kettle. I wish I'd sprung for the electric version.

It also feels like something that would cost $10 if ikea carried it, but then again so does the Buono(at least to me).

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swagger like us posted:

Someone just needs to make an automatic Aeropress and be done with it.

Isn't that sort of how a clover works?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of grind are you guys using with your clever drippers?

I figured a coarse french press type grind would be best, since it's full-immersion, but a lot of the write-ups online say to use a fine drip grind.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

15-20 (fairly fine) on my Maestro Plus.

With coarse, you'll get under extraction, the only reason you do coarse for the press-pot is to avoid sludge.

I'll give that a shot, thanks. I've been grinding between 25-35 with my Maestro, based mostly on Prima Coffee's immersion brewing guide.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Brew Methods also has a bunch of good suggestions for coffee ratios/recipes.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dhrusis posted:

Can you guys post your favorite aeropress recipes? I have a Barsta Maestro.. What grind setting should I be using?

There's a cool rundown of various Baratza grinder settings with pictures over at Coffeegeek.

They've got pictures, numbers and good descriptions for each type of grind, which was really helpful when I was getting my Maestro dialed in.

I use Tim Wendelboe's inverted Aeropress recipe, which someone recommended earlier in the thread.

There are a bunch more at Brewmethods, too.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Florida Betty posted:

I find my French press to be very annoying to clean. I live in a house with terrible, old pipes, and I really can't afford to let anything solid go down the drain. I have a strainer over the drain, but the coffee grounds slip in around the sides. I usually take my French press outside to rinse it off with the hose. Seriously.

Just use a handheld strainer:

Fill the used press with water, swirl the grounds around, and pour the water out through the strainer. The press gets clean, and all the grounds are collected in the strainer, which you can tap out over the trash.

It seriously takes like 10 seconds.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GrAviTy84 posted:

Oh yeah. I discovered a pretty awesome coffee shop in Redlands today for all you fellow Inland Empire goons, which are apparently quite a few. Augie's coffee. I had a Salvadoran coffee, pourover. Was a good City roast, lively, balanced. They brewed it fresh ground, in your choice of either a V60 or a Chemex (yes, they asked, lol sperg:3:), with the buono kettle. They prewarmed the mug and the V60 and rinsed the filter. I was pretty impressed with the attention to detail. She did rush the extraction a bit, I'd have let the grounds bloom a bit longer, but admittedly I'm getting nitpicky. A+++ would coffee again there. In their mini store bookshelf thing they had a CCD (:swoon:). This is the first time I've ever seen a CCD for sale at a brick and mortar shop.

Augie's owns. :cool:

Redlands has a couple local roasters, too (in addition to Augie's):

Wild Goose Coffee, and IE Coffee. They sell online, but you can pick it up locally at Gerrards and the Olive Ave. Market, if you don't feel like paying shipping.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone tried out the Bunn Phase Brew?

My little beehouse dripper doesn't cut it with large groups of people over. Trying to decide between this and the Bonavita BV1800.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cyborganizer posted:

I've been tempted to pick up a CCD as an alternative to my Aeropress, but from reading reviews about it cracking and hearing things like this, is it really worth the $20 to buy something that seems to be of such poor quality? You would think that they would have figured out a new material, like glass or ceramic, to make these out of by now.

Bonavita was supposed to be working on a ceramic version of the clever dripper, not sure what ended up happening with it.

edit: Found it.

Haven't seen one for sale yet, though.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone tried one of those Nesco roasters?

Trying to decide whether to buy one of those, or save up for the Behmor.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone tried the Sowden Softbrew?

I cracked my french press recently, and I'm thinking of getting one of these as a replacement. Saw one on the shelf at Augie's the other day:

Sort of like a backwards french press; you lift the grounds out when it's done brewing, rather than plunging.

Seems like it would be sturdier than a press pot, too.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best way to clean a glass-lined coffee pot?

I picked up a Bonavita drip machine with the thermal carafe, and it's oily as hell inside after a couple weeks of use. The instructions say to use vinegar or lemon juice, and never scrub it or use a bottle brush, but the vinegar isn't doing poo poo.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
IE goons: is there decent locally roasted coffee in Riverside? I just moved here and I'm not seeing much besides Starbucks and Coffee Bean. Half of the Yelp reviews
are for chain places.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone tried the porcelain CCD clone from Bonavita? Noticed it on Sweet Marias this morning:

It's dishwasher safe, but also twice as expensive.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Is there a reason that the Bonmac dripper seems to be one of the most frequently recommended melitta cones?

I dropped my beehouse dripper this morning, and I'm not sure what to replace it with. Melitta and Bonavita both make porcelain filter cones, and there are a bunch more on amazon(HIC, Cilio, etc.).

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What are you guys brewing into for larger batches of pourover?

I'm looking for a coffee server that can hold 2-4 cups and fit a filtercone easily on top-can't decide between a Hario/kalita glass server, or a melitta style ceramic pot:

The glass servers seem to be more popular; is there a reason other than aesthetics?

Assuming I preheat well with boiling water, is there going to be a big difference in heat retention between glass and ceramic carafes?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

o muerte posted:

V60 chat: Does anyone else grind somewhat fine for their V60? Grinding to about 14 (? I think it's 14, I'll check when I get home) on my Virtuoso is the only way I can keep the water on the grounds for a decent period of time, otherwise the cup comes out distinctly underextracted.

I usually grind to a table salt-like consistency for my v60.

Maybe my technique sucks, but I have trouble hitting the suggested brew times if I go much coarser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else notice Target carries Intelligentsia coffee now?

I got excited, then I saw the roast date-it's all over a month old.