Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Anyone played with brewing cacao nibs into tea? I kept getting ads for things like this:

I'm not buying any health claims, but it could be nice to have a hot bitter drink in the evening. Their fancy roasts could be better than just normal cocoa nibs, but I'm going to start simple to see if I even like the idea.

Couple questions:

1. Anyone try a commercial one like the image?
2. Anyone do normal cacao nibs, home-ground?

If not, I can try it myself and report back. I already have some nibs, but not enough to do dozens of experiments.

One of my coworkers brought that particular brand into work. It’s not bad, it basically tastes like bitter chocolate water. Almost closer to chocolate tea?

Don’t run cocoa nibs through your grinder though, the extra fat in them will likely cause a mess.

Honestly I’d just recommend decaf if you want a hot evening bitter drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

Big Bidness posted:

For some weird reason, REI got the Aeropress XL before anyone else. I managed to snag one before they sold out. First thing people should know- the filters are bigger than the standard size, and at the moment no one is selling the XL size filters. Including Aeropress. The filters are 2.75 inches in diameter which also means you can't buy a circle punch and punch out your own filters. No one makes that size punch anymore. it might be easier to find one outside of the US if someone makes a 7 cm punch. I would hope that Aeropress is selling the filter by the end of June, because it seems like that's when this thing was supposed to come out. I think REI jumped the gun on selling them.

That said, it brews exactly like a standard Aeropress. The recipes scale up perfectly. I did a 500 ml standard style brew and had a good 50 - 70 ml drip through before I could get the plunger in to create a vacuum. It didn't affect the taste. I also did a 500 ml inverted brew, which was a little scarier than normal but it wasn't a real issue. Knocking it over would suck so bad, but I've never hosed up an inverted Aeropress in the 15 years I've used them so I'll try to keep my streak going.

It comes with a Tritan plastic carafe and a long boy stirrer, which are both pretty essential for the increased size of the thing. The carafe makes the $75 bucks I paid sting a little less, but it's still pretty pricy. The carafe does not come with a lid, either. It's really just included so people don't complain that the XL doesn't work with their mug of choice.

It also looks like a penis pump.

Huh! Can you post some pictures of it and it’s various bits?

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Anyone have recommendations for pretty cheap mail roasters? Happy mug was fine for a while, but the owner seems like a bit of a tool. Local roasters are…ok, but I’ve had some bad batches so I’m looking for something a little more consistent. Right now I’m getting 2x1lb bags for $36 a month.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Has anyone in the US figured out how to take advantage of the 15% off deal for the Profitec Go on idrinkcoffee.com? I’m happy to pay the CAD price but it kicks me over to the US store as soon as I put in my shipping info.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

nwin posted:

Man. Bought a Profitec Go a few months back as an upgrade to my Robot/nanofoamer.

I’ve had some good shots and some pretty bad shots. It has been excellent for steaming milk and it’s much preferred to the nanofoamer lithium I was using-it’s great to not worry about charging the nanofoamer and microwaving the milk to then froth it for a while. Plus pulling a shot and cleaning up is pretty fast.

But, I’m selling the profitec. Today I did the biweekly backflush, cleaned all the puck screens and baskets, and figured maybe I should try the Robot since some beans I was using weren’t giving great results.

Robot gave me a perfect shot the first time. Didn’t even have to dial in (surprised because I was pulling the robot at 6 bar whereas the Go was doing 9 bar, so I figured I would have to grind coarser, but nope.

I typically pull an americano for my wife and a shot for me during the week, only doing a cortado or cappuccino for myself on the weekends, so I’ll miss the steaming, but not enough to stick with the semi automatic machine.

It’s funny because I’ve had the EXACT same experience with buying a Go after using a Robot for a couple years. I think a big problem for me is the need to use vastly different water in the Go (to prevent build up) vs the tap water I use for the Robot.

The Go is just much less consistent in general, which is the exact opposite of what I was expecting when going from a manual machine to a semi-automatic.