Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyfour
Nov 14, 2009

Lord Dekks posted:

Can anyone in the UK recommend/find a cheap burr grinder? Any grinder under £50 here seems to be all stainless steel blade grinders or burr grinders that say they are for coffee but seem more geared towards spice grinding and only have a coarse or fine setting.

Any recommendations?

If you're ok with grinding by hand the Hario Skerton is almost certainly the best grinder you can get for that amount of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyfour
Nov 14, 2009

seravid posted:

Thanks for the help, I'll try different grinds/temps/pour methods and see how it goes.

I can't stop thinking about the watery part, though. Any thoughts on that? Maybe it's because I've been drinking espressos all my life, but this coffee had no texture at all, it was like drinking (crappy) flavored water.

Have you ever had a well made filter coffee for comparison? I ask because the clean mouth feel is one of the main reasons people drink filter in the first place.

The extraction should be taking 3-4 minutes and when you're done there should be a layer of grounds up the sides of the filter paper and the rest in the bottom. If absolutely everything is in the bottom this could be (one of) the reasons your coffee is bitter and you should try pouring the water in a small circle in the middle, avoiding the filter paper and the extracted grounds at the edges.