Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Lazaruise posted:

How is the Starbucks Blonde Roast? I've heard its actually much better than the charcoal they usually serve, but I don't want to try it just yet

It has less of a burnt taste, but it doesnt have much of a flavor to it. Its a lot like Tims, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

I wonder if they would allow this. Any goons work at a starbucks want to comment?

They shouldn't do it. We aren't supposed to use anything brought in from outside, for health and liability reasons.

We aren't even allowed to run non-starbucks coffee through our grinder.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I've always thought the Clover was a weird machine, because I wouldn't think that an independent shop would be able to make enough use of it to justify the huge investment. I'm really sad that Starbucks bought the company too, because they don't seem to be doing that much with it, at least here in Toronto we only have like, three or four stores with one of the machines, and it doesn't sound like they have plans to install more.

I honestly wouldn't recommend the Clover anyway, we use higher quality 'reserve' beans, that still aren't very good, so the price is way higher, and it really isn't worth it.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I mean it's still gonna be Starbucks coffee so it's gonna be over roasted and old. There's only so much a good brewer can do.

Hell the local roaster who goes to a level beyond Starbucks ( :barf: ) actually gets worse if you brew it as a pourover than just putting it in an autodrip, I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true of Starbucks.

In my experience it doesn't matter how you brew our coffee. It tastes exactly the same out of a properly prepared french press or pourover as it does out of our drip brewers. The hardest part of my job is when I have to explain the nuanced differences between different types of coffee to a customer, without telling them it all tastes basically the same, because it isn't any good.

I really need to get out of Starbucks.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

MasterControl posted:

Is it all French roast? Or just kingsford charcoal? Are they a new roaster or been around awhile?

In south jersey there was a new local roaster I had to interview for a story and they started out doing city+ roasts. Tasted ok but nothing special. last time I saw them they said they had a new roast and I'm being kind when I say It tasted something like what I imagine whatever the taste of an ashtray is. How they could freshly learn about roasting in 2013 and still want to burn it was surprising.

Curious what's the reasoning behind a clover?

I think the pitch originally was that they would let you have a lot of control over brew times and water temp, and an ability to create programs for different types of coffee, so you'd be able to consistently make a great cup.

It also looks interesting while it works, so it draws people in, and gets them interested.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

becoming posted:

My relative that manages a Starbucks tells me that they will do pour-over (not sure which, probably not V60) and french press upon request, but that they don't really advertise it. She's been trained fairly extensively in both, but acknowledges that a lot of their baristas have not been, so it may still be a crapshoot. She's specifically working at training her baristas on the pour-over, but of course 99% of the brewed coffee they sell is from the drip machines, so there isn't a lot of opportunity. Still, it's probably worth asking about - you might get someone, like her, that knows/gives a poo poo about doing it right.

Any other SBUX goons do french press/pour-over in their stores? I literally had no idea about this until I asked last night, and she's been managing one for nearly four years. It almost seems like their dirty little secret.

Yeah, any store will do a french press or pour over if you ask, and they should be willing to open up a bag of beans from the wall if there's a blend you prefer. We only use fairly basic melitta cones though, so don't go in expecting a really good pour over.

To be honest, it isn't really worth the hassle, the beans themselves aren't that great, and we most baristas don't have the knowledge or time to properly pour the water and allow for some bloom time, so your pour over or french press is only slightly better than whatever you would get out of the drip machines.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Recaffeinated posted:

Isn't that the whole point of Starbucks using Clovers? Probably not as good as good pour over, but engineered to be idiot-proof. That seems like the best bet for single-cup coffee anywhere that's not a really good chain. Looks like you can search the website for stores that specifically have a Clover, too.

Yeah, the clover is the best bet for sure, but I don't know how wide spread it is. We only have a couple in Toronto, and they don't seem to be putting in more very often.

Edit: clover tends to cost more though, if you go with the reserve blends, which tend to be better than most coffees.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

So I was given a melitta grinder for Christmas, and it seems to make a lot of static, so a decent amount of my ground coffee ends up coating the container when I'm done.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the static? Or is it just something I have to deal with?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

So I just started a new barista job, and I've noticed that the baskets tend to pop out of the portafilters if you knock the espresso out at the wrong angle. Anyone have any experience with preventative measures for this kind of thing? Or is it just a reality of using portafilters.

I came from Starbucks, so I've never had to use the things before.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Maid posted:

If you knock on the edge of the basket itself you shouldn't have too many problems. It still happens every once in a long while but you have a pretty big target to hit. Did the spring fall out of your portafilter perchance?

I think the springs are all still there, but I'd need to double check. Are the springs something that wear out over time?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

MasterControl posted:

Awesome Things

There's a cafe in Toronto called Te Aro that keeps their cold brew in kegs, and I really want to go check it out, but I haven't had the chance yet.

I've been trying to convince my bosses that we should do cold brew in the summer instead of iced espresso drinks, since it will almost certainly taste better, but I think I'll need to do some experimenting on my own to show off the results to really get my point across.

I'd love any tips or advice anyone might have about cold brew.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

mirthdefect posted:

Do you know if the people who own it are Kiwis? Te Aro is (one of) the weird arty hipster suburbs in Wellington, the coffee-est place in NZ.

That's where they got the name from, for sure, but I don't how they landed on the name specifically. They're run by one of the roasting companies in the city.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Blue Bottle is one of my favorite shops but I think they are turning into Starbucks. They now sell iced coffee at Whole Foods. They also just bought Handsome Coffee Roasters in LA and the Tonx subscription guys.

Someone sent me a link to this article on slate the other day about all the money that tech guys are dropping into blue bottle. It seems nuts

http://www.slate.com/articles/busin..._francisco.html

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

So my girlfriend got an ice cream maker attachment for our stand mixer, and i feel like trying to make coffee ice cream with it.

Anyone have thoughts about if its worth getting some decent quality beans to make it with? I'd imagine that by the time its done most of the distinct flavours of the bean would be lost, right?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

There's one Nespresso machine that makes coffee or 'espresso,' but it has larger, more expensive pods with a smaller selection of pods, and it does some sort of weird spinning thing to emulate extra crema (and consequently dispenses like half a glass of coffee foam if you make the 'coffee'). The Pixie etc. that use the smaller traditional Nespresso pods re pretty decent and definitely imo leagues better than keurig. You and your girlfriend should go by a Crate & Barrel and try some.

Starbucks also makes the Verisimo, which I know less about but have used many times when visiting another friend who manages a Starbucks. It makes a passable cup of coffee into which I normally dump a shot of their 'espresso' which seems similar enough to Nespresso's but also iirc has less of a variety.

I used to work at Starbucks, and I wouldn't really recommend the verismo. The taste isn't that better than a keurig, but you are forced to use the small selection of Starbuck's made pods, and the selection is super small.

It doesn't seem like its doing very well, and I don't think they're doing much to support it, so it's probably not worth it to get that instead of a keurig or nespresso.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

dik-dik posted:

What's the diagnosis and treatment for extremely sour shots (pulled on my Gaggia Classic)?

I assumed it meant my grind was too coarse but making my grind finer (going all the way to 1A on my vario) doesn't seem to fix it, or even change it noticeably. This suggests maybe my brew temp is too low? I've been letting my machine preheat for a good 20-30 minutes and then flushing the group head with a decent amount of water, pulling the shot as soon as the light turns back on, etc., and it doesn't seem to be helping.

Can you increase the brew time? it sounds like you're under extracting your shots, so you may just need a few seconds more.

If that doesn't work I'd increase your dose a little, and see if that helps.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

That was a really cool read!

We've been using a Tanzanian peaberry for drip and cold brew in our cafes lately, and I'm going to be really bummed when it runs out, it makes for a really good large batch of coffee. I wish I'd had a chance to try it on our Clover, or as a pour over.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

MasterControl posted:

We'll I know a certain roaster that has about 100 pounds left of it!

What do you think of the clover?

The clover is pretty great, it's really simple to use, and you can make a nice cup in less than a minute. People always seem really intrigued by it when we explain the machine to them as well.

There's certainly better ways to make coffee, but from a service perspective I like it a lot. We put one in the cafe we just opened in our roastery, and it sounds like our owner is in the process of working out the specific dose for each individual coffee we sell, so I'm looking forward to that.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I haven't been around when they've had to deal with fixing them, but it sounds like its a fairly expensive hassle to get spare parts.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I'm always really curious about the dialling in process with home espresso. Do you need to make many adjustments day-to-day to keep things tasting the way you want?

At my shop we dial in our shots in the morning, and usually need to fine tune again in the early afternoon, and the thought of having to do that constantly at home has always been the biggest factor keeping me from wanting to get into home espresso.

Or is the fiddling with the espresso half the appeal?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I once had it explained to me that the mineral content of your water affects extraction, the more minerals the more it will pull out of your coffee, so harder water will over-extract more quickly. I don't know if this is true however, take it with a grain of salt.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

rockcity posted:

Hmmm I hadn't heard that, but it could be that the minerals pull out more oils. Even if that's true, I wouldn't go putting it in any coffee appliance, especially an espresso machine.

Yeah, that's fair. Although, I'd think that back flushing some cafiza through your machine every couple weeks would help clear some of that mess out, wouldn't it?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

rockcity posted:

I'm sure it would, but why would you buy a specific type of water that is inherently not good for the machine? If you're going to buy water to use, I would use distilled water.
I think at some point I lost track of what you're saying, I totally agree with you, no point buying worse water.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Shif posted:

I appreciate all the responses, and do feel a ashamed for not having read the OP in a while. Re-reading it I could see most of my questions were already answered. :blush:

I do however feel the need to ask if the service provided by our very own goons (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594506) is worth the ~$14 per 12oz bag. Now of course I'm just a stupid newbie who is under the impression that $6 for a 12oz bag of coffee is pricey, but I'm very tempted to try it out; everyone seems to rant and rave about their roasts.

I haven't ordered from Royal Mile. but $14 for a 12oz bag isn't a bad price at all, especially when you consider the quality of the beans that you're getting, and depending on how much coffee you drink in a day that should last a week or so.

I'd definitely agree with finding a decent shop near you, so that you can try a pour over and see what you like. I tend to have one or two people a week come in to my shop that are in the same position that you are, and I tend to have a lot of fun helping them find a coffee I think they might enjoy. Depending on where you're located there should be at least a few shops you can try, hopefully you'll get some good answers.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I think its a familiarity thing, they've associated the taste of diner coffee as the true flavour of coffee, and so that's what they're looking for when they get a cup, so a higher quality shop may not have what they're looking for.

I think its the same reason people love Tim Horton's so much, even though it isn't all that good.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

When the tip of the wand is just below the surface it should be making a paper-tearing sound, if its a bubbling sound you're to close to the surface.

Once you've hit the 100 degree mark you want to submerge the wand, and at that point you want the milk to be swirling around the pitcher.

How has the milk been pouring for you when you're done? That's the easiest way to tell where things are going wrong.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Casull posted:

I saw an ad the other day for a "Starbucks Aged Sumatra" where they age the beans for 12 months.

Is...is that actually a thing? That doesn't sound like it should be a thing.

From what I understand it's actually sort of a traditional process in some parts of the world. It's a pretty controlled process of storing the green beans in warehouses, rotating the bags as needed to make sure that they age evenly and correctly. I think you only tend to see aged Sumatra beans because they grow in an environment that's got just the right kind of humidity/temperature for the process.

I get the feeling that it's an expensive process, so there probably aren't many farmers that do it, and since Starbucks uses it in all of their seasonal blends, and buys an absolute shitload of it, I feel like it's not super easy to come by in smaller roasters.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Does anyone here have any recommended coffee related reading? Any specific websites or books that people want to learn coffee should know?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I have a pretty crappy, although totally usable scale right now, but one of the people I work with just got one of those Acaia wireless scales, and now I really want to upgrade.

The chart that shows how consistent your pour is seems like it would be pretty interesting.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, it seems like it would make a really good training tool for a coffee shop.

I just need to convince my boss to buy one so we can reintroduce pourovers to the menu.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

shizen posted:

I need something that will hold a decent amount of coffee and will stay hot for a few hours.

I found this on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/28696-2-2-Liter-Button-Airpot-Dispenser/dp/B00305H6WM

But I'm wondering if there is cheaper option (cost isn't a big issue though) or any other suggestions.

These are the ones my shop uses whenever we go to an event. They work quite well to keep coffee warm, and aren't that bad to clean when you're done.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I don't have any experience with that style of pitcher, but if you tilt the mug enough at the start you can bring the espresso further up the cup and compensate for the length of the tip and start pouring your tulip whenever you feel comfortable.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

I work (self-taught) as a barista, and while I have a long way to go before I'm satisfied with my latte art, it's going pretty well. I don't, however, have any knowledge about how to adjust espresso shots from the machines. My employers at this job and the previous 2 never wanted to invest in a coffee course, weren't baristas themselves and had inevitably trashed or lost the manuals that came with the machines.

Are there any good resources online for pulling the perfect shot? Or other baristas in this very thread, perhaps?

Those home barista tutorials are a good resource to start, and should help you get the basics down. I got the Professional Barista's Handbook by Scott Rao here last winter, and I really like it. It goes pretty in depth, and it really helped me get a better understanding of what's going on during extraction, and it definitely helped me pull better shops.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

porktree posted:

I don't know! Seattle Coffee Gear only has the old model, if you go to coffeetamper.com you can pick your shape. The C-Flat looked interesting to me, with edge seal. I've got an older Reg Barber tamper and it is some sweeeeeet kit. I'm hesitating at spending $90 US on a new tamper (when my existing tamper is in perfect shape).

Has anyone else looked deeply into the tamper abyss?

We used one of the C-Flat style ones for a few days after someone lost the shop tamp, and I didn't really like it. It wasn't a huge difference, really, but I feel like I get more consistent shots when I use the normal flat tamp.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I was mostly concerned with the grinder. I read some stuff online that it can damage it.

I think it's just going to clog the burrs, so as long as you can get in and clean them afterwords it may not be such an issue. I can't imagine you'd get very good results though,

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

AriTheDog posted:

I've seen some "barista" formulations of soy/almond milk around. No idea if they're better or not, but looking at fine dining foams I'm sure there's a way of doing it that'll work.

We use Pacific barista soy and almond at work, and it works quite well. It's still not the same as dairy, but it can make a tasty drink.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

geetee posted:

Anyone have a Breville Grind Control? Looking to get something easy to use for my parents.

We got my dad one of the breville built in grinder machines last year and he really likes it. They have a lot of options, but are still fairly easy to use, and it makes pretty good coffee as well.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

We had a keg of our cold brew nitrogenated for a street festival this summer, and it worked quite well.

I've heard of someone mixing cold brew and milk in a nitro keg, to produce on-tap iced lattes, that apparently turned out really well, almost as though they'd been steamed normally.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

The nitrogen ends up giving the cold brew a little more body, and it's very smooth. You could probably use CO2 to move it through the lines, but it probably wouldn't be as good, and it'd be harder to get people to pay as much for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

The roaster I used to work for was experimenting with carbonated cascara this summer, and apparently it turned out fairly well.