Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried the new Nespresso Vertuo coffee yesterday at a Sur La Table and it tasted like rear end. I suppose the demo person could have messed it up but I'm pretty sure it's all automated. Wasn't there someone earlier that kept wanting crema in their drip coffee? Well now you can get it.

I tried it and thought the same, and the 'coffee crema' seemed like it was never going to go away. It does a weird spinning thing with those ridiculous pods, too. A friend has teh Nespresso Pixie and it's way way better, but still pod coffee.

Corla Plankun posted:

I don't think you're allowed to sperg about coffee and also drink decaf. Sorry.

But...there are so many decaffeination methods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

MasterControl posted:

Out of curiosity how many people work in an office with those flavia machines? Had it at my old jobs and my wife the same.

We have one. I use it all the time, but it's not good. The coffee isn't even very caffeinated imo. FWIW the most tolerable drink I've gotten out of it is using 2-3 packets of 'French Roast' (Sumatra and Barista's blend are also near-tolerable, feel free to blend) on the 'over ice' setting. It's all pretty awful, but it's better than our old machine.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

nwin posted:

She's shown some interest in Nespresso, which I hear isn't horrible/isn't great. However, these only produce small espresso shots, right? She likes sitting with a full cup of coffee so I don't think an espresso would really work for her. Also, I hear those pods are expensive as gently caress. Admittedly, I'd like to try it myself, but I think the cost/pod will be pretty offputting (and no, I am not thinking about getting into espresso any time soon or else I would go hog wild and get an actual espresso machine...then again, I can't imagine her wanting to tamp the grounds and all that stuff anyways.) Also, I think some of them come with a milk carafe to make cappucino, etc., but cleaning that on a daily basis seems like it would be a pain in the rear end.

So, if the nespresso only makes espressos or is just too expensive to operate, are there any other things that would be convenient enough or should I just go grab her another Keurig or a knock off or something?
There's one Nespresso machine that makes coffee or 'espresso,' but it has larger, more expensive pods with a smaller selection of pods, and it does some sort of weird spinning thing to emulate extra crema (and consequently dispenses like half a glass of coffee foam if you make the 'coffee'). The Pixie etc. that use the smaller traditional Nespresso pods re pretty decent and definitely imo leagues better than keurig. You and your girlfriend should go by a Crate & Barrel and try some.

Starbucks also makes the Verisimo, which I know less about but have used many times when visiting another friend who manages a Starbucks. It makes a passable cup of coffee into which I normally dump a shot of their 'espresso' which seems similar enough to Nespresso's but also iirc has less of a variety.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Does it make sense to get a V60/wave (and kettle if I can't find something workable from friends/family) and use my crappy Braun burr grinder from ages ago while I'm saving money for a better grinder and further coffee things? If so, is there a reason to prefer one material over another other than "plastics, maaaan" or "breakable"?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

DoBoMi posted:

I know this is awful, but anyone knows a good & cheap coffeemaker?
Because when my family visits me it really is a pain in the *** to make coffee for them all with the CCD.

You might consider a vacuum/syphon pot. I've got one that does a normal-ish sized pot of coffee (~8 cups).

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Fleetwood posted:

Any goons here have experience with the Yama Vacuum Brewer?

http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/brewing/coffee-brewers/vacuum-brewers/yama-vacuum-brewer.html

I'm looking for something basic and non-plastic. The Yama is an intriguing product although I'm leaning towards a basic percolator instead.

I've been using the 8-cup Yama for 8-10 years (iirc). Daily for a while, now just on weekends because my commute is horrific and I would rather be tired on the train than make coffee in the AM. I still use it on weekends and any time I am not feeling like doing a pour-over (or in addition to a pour-over if I have company and we're going to need a lot of coffee).

I really like the coffee it makes. It's easy to play around with the amount of grounds and the brew time. I can definitely taste a huge difference between bean varieties. The biggest drawback for me is my own clumsiness. I need to build a new stand for the top pot since mine half melted from being too close to a hot oven. In 7-8yrs, I've broken and replaced each piece once.

I end up varying the amount of grounds based on the coffee that I'm using, but my general process is:
  • fill pot with water, heat to boiling, reduce heat to minimum
  • Grind beans (can go quite fine with the filters, but I usually go somewhere in between drip coffee and pour-over, tho I'm still tweaking the grind on the latter for my V60)
  • add beans to upper pot, carefully place onto bottom pot
  • start a timer when the grounds are wet
  • stir for 25-45 seconds
  • cut the heat and give the water in the top pot a swirl (for easier cleaning)
  • return in a few minutes, pour, and drink
I used to keep the heat on for a full minute and then move it off the burner and onto a cooler heat sink (room temp marble slab) when it was done, but I like this better.

n.b. my stove will boil water on the lowest setting (gas stove)

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 14, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Who Dat posted:

If I absolutely had to get a single serve coffee machine (not being my choice, though the machine will be), what would most of you suggest? Convenience, price, and taste are all important. I'm leaning towards a Vertuoline for espresso, but I do have an Essenza, so if something else makes better coffee at less than $1 a cup, I'd prefer that. That centrifuge technology though is sure fancy sounding. :allears:

Do you live near a Crate & Barrel or a Williams Sonoma (maybe also Sur La Table)? You can try it out there iirc. I was pretty unimpressed with the vertuoline's coffee and espresso both, but I don't think there were many that had the option to make a 'regular' cup of coffee. The coffee option made a lot of crema (1/2 glass or so). For espresso, I liked the Nespresso Pixie the best, partially for having more pod options.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

MasterControl posted:

What's the tonx method? Also as a brand they're gone; bought by blue bottle.

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/cold-brew I believe

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I was surprised at how easy and consistent the V60 is.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/siphon is a decent siphon guide, imo. I used to do it a little differently, but I find that even lovely coffee comes out pretty well roughly following this guide.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Ned posted:

I saw that on the internet today after I bought the coffee maker and I went to quite a few shops but couldn't find a bamboo paddle to stir it with. I'll probably do some more looking tomorrow. I don't think it should be too hard to find if I go to a speciality store.

Oh, I don't have one either. My Yama pot came with something plastic a lot like this:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I am very interested in DIY mustard now. It sounds much more friendly for my tiny apartment than any of this roasting business.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
That's a trick - bandits are known for never stirring :ninja:

I may try stirring mine this weekend

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
IIRC Costco has roasters in most of their stores and the freshness counts for a lot. I haven't had a member ship in years, though, so I've never tried it in my V60, only in drip and syphon.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Lysator posted:

I've never tried roasting myself. Is it worth the additional investment? Do not-roasted beans stay fresh longer?

Yes, unroasted (green) coffee stays fresh longer. See OP (I think), for the 15/15/15 rule. Green coffee is good for 15 months, roasted for 15 days, and ground for 15 min.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

porktree posted:

A popcorn roaster PSA - you can get a nice piece of marble tile for less than :10bux: at Home Depot/Lowes/et al, that works really well as a heat sink for cooling off your roasts.

Or do what I did and get one that someone used as a cutting board at a garage sale for like $1. :D

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I find cold brew to be a bit more forgiving on bean quality than hot coffee.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

BraveUlysses posted:

I really like iced coffee during the summer but my feeling is that I should be able to get away with using something that is cheaper than 15 bucks a pound (price at my local roaster) to get good iced coffee. Any brand recommendations? Costco?

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/worst-and-best-coffee-at-trader-joes-which-coffee-to-buy-tj.html maybe

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
The initial investment for a vacuum/syphon set-up is cheap, too, but unfortunately fragile. If you aren't a klutz (like me), upkeep is also cheap and easy.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I got a couple of those form Amazon and I'm a big fan.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mandalay posted:

Seems like it would get old pulling and pushing every day (hi Apate), compared to unlatching an airscape.

I dunno, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with them I guess? Every time I open or close one I squee a little and giggle. Then I usually open and close it again before putting it away. I saw them in IRC and had no idea they were a kickstarter until seeing them here. I was actually searching for something similar years ago and was sad to find nothing. Now my vacuum seal OCD is pleased. Very pleased.

(hiiii)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Copper Vein posted:

If anybody thought the Evak glass storage tubes were pretty and wanted to store their coffee in them, maybe don't get one because the handle on the one that arrived today is falling apart right out of the box and also there was a giant human hair crimped right into the plunger.

Unless that's your thing.

Mine is sturdy and hair-free :(

I'd get in touch with them; it's too pricey for a jar to settle for a shoddy one.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Obligatory Toast posted:

It hardly froths for poo poo with a proper steam wand, honestly. gently caress, it'll actually condense.

It also burns easily and is disgusting when it does. D:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cast Iron Brick posted:

You could spritz chilled espresso through a whipped cream gun. It makes an effervescent drink filled with nitrous bubbles that's really nice.

That's not the worst idea. Do you just chill like 2 shots? I imagine cold brew would work fine, too.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Google Butt posted:

Do you have the stovetop or table top version? Does it matter? Stovetop looks more convenient.

I've been using the stovetop 8 cup version for a long, long time (including plenty of replacements...). I have a gas stove, and I like it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rockcity posted:

Sorry, year forgot about stirring. I stir once when it's about half full of water and once right after I pull the burner. The stir at the end will also cause the grounds to form a nice dome in the middle for the coffee to filter through. I have no idea if that has any real benefit, but it might.

It makes me happy, which is a high purpose.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rockcity posted:

That's probably to prevent water that isn't hot enough making it up there first. If you start with hot water, that's not a concern. Plus, if you do coffee first that period acts as your bloom.

I agree, but my brief experimentation found them to be fairly similar, so i'd say just try a few different things (water first, grounds first, steep while cooling, removing from heat and cooling immediately...) before settling on a method.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Mine's on a gas stove, so the grills retain quite a bit of heat. It takes some shortish amount of time before it drains naturally. I also have a beat up marble slab next to my stove that I use as a heat sink when needed and if I set the pot there it drains immediately.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Anyone try making their own in an iSi? I assume you have to have some cream in there since nitrous is fat soluble (I think)
Start around here:

Cast Iron Brick posted:

The recipe I follow is:

2 shots, mixed hot with 1 packet turbinado sugar.

Chill in a metal container submerged in ice water for about 5 minutes.

Load into your charger, spritz, enjoy.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Casull posted:

I have got to stop bringing cold brew to work. Word got out on how good it tastes and a bunch of people want it every time. I wouldn't mind if good coffee didn't cost so much. Thinking of putting a donation jar or something at my desk.

Try using worse beans. I find cold brew to be very forgiving and usually make it with cheap coffee from Trader Joe's.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
For kegged cold brew, why not CO2 at the minimum PSI to push through the lines? Just avoiding bubbles and trying to make something prettier?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Oh, great point. I always forget about the carbonic acid.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

MrYenko posted:

Contigos are badass. The first travel mug I've ever used that flat out does not leak.

The innards are metal, but I've never noticed much in the way of flavor impact.

Once upon a time Zojirushi was tons easier to clean than Contigo, but they are basically equivalent to me (unless you have size concerns) now.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Steve Yun posted:

By coincidence I was listening to a cooking issues episode where Dave speculates that nitro beer is actually nitrous oxide since he says nitrogen doesn't dissolve well into liquid. He seems to think a whipper would give a good approximation of nitro stout. Not sure how this applies to coffee though.
Go back a couple pages to around:

Cast Iron Brick posted:

The recipe I follow is:

2 shots, mixed hot with 1 packet turbinado sugar.

Chill in a metal container submerged in ice water for about 5 minutes.

Load into your charger, spritz, enjoy.

rockcity posted:

It's not NO2, its usually a specific mix that people call beer gas. It's typically 70% Nitrogen and 30% CO2.

I was going to post this - not sure why it's being referred to as 'pure nitrogen'

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rockcity posted:

I think some beers are nitrogenated with pure nitrogen, but then pushed through the line with beer gas. Could also be the same with coffee.

It could be; iirc the CO2 is mostly there so that the pressure drop in the line doesn't leave it totally flat/foamy coming out and for some residual bubbles since it's more soluble.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Klades posted:

The zojirushi thermos line looks like a somewhat nicer version of the Thermos brand I used to use. If they're anything alike I can totally vouch for them keeping hot things hot for ages.
So long, in fact, that I switched to a Contigo. The lid doesn't do a whole lot for insulating so it doesn't keep things hot nearly as long; I make some coffee, do my hour commute, and then it's cooled off enough to drink, while my thermos usually needed another hour or two (or some ice).
Plus I dropped the thermos on pavement and it doesn't take well to that sort of experience.

I have a Contigo and a Zojirushi, and I agree with the above. Neither leaks and both can take a beating, but the Zojirushi will hold temperatures ~forever.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

The Polish Pirate posted:

When I had a Zojirushi, I literally brought a disposable cup with me to pour into because I could never drink straight out of the Zoji. Found Contigo strikes a nice balance between retaining most heat for long periods of time with also letting me drink the drat coffee without scalding my mouth.

It's freaky when I've got iced water/coffee in there and it still has solid ice after some time in a hot car.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Guitarchitect posted:

My lifestyle is about to be up-ended as I move into a new home and, *gasp*, I'll have space to entertain. I suspect we'll host brunches + dinners, and I've only got a V60 and a French Press to my name.

So - what's the best way to make a pot of coffee for such occasional occasions? My first thought was a Chemex and a Thermal Carafe. But - should I stuff my snobbery and get a Bonavita BV1900TS? An OXO 9-Cup Barista Brain? The Zojirushi deal?

Syphon pot! :2bong:

Mine makes 8 cups, so it's still not huge, but it's pretty quick.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Scaramouche posted:

This is an odd question, but have you guys noticed your taste changing after getting hard into this stuff?

I had a coffee off one of those Wolfgang puck pod-style machine coffees today which was a "fruity, caramel, light roasted blend". And... it wasn't bad really, certainly flavourful and hot and worked as coffee, and in the old days I would have said "wow that's a good coffee!" But now all I could think was how much better a single origin, just ground by myself, espresso shot would have been. Am I a snob now?

Getting into any sort of food/drink as a hobby have changed how I perceive flavors etc in a big way. I'm hardly a fan of sweets at all now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mu Zeta posted:

Nespresso maybe. Though I hate pods and it's firmly in the mediocre category.

At least they have a recycling program for the pods. Also - the OriginalLine has more coffee options, and the Virtua or whatever's "coffee" comes out as half froth.