Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gaph posted:

I skimmed the thread but didn't see any mention 'skimming' for french presses? Brew as usual but before the plunge use two spoons to skim the cake of coffee grounds and foam that collect at the top. Then plunge as usual. Makes a much cleaner cup, dramatically cuts down on the sludge.

http://www.jimseven.com/2008/11/13/french-press-technique/

That seems to go against the point of the french press, pushing water through the grounds. Though I do like the idea of meassuring water by mass, I just got my scale and thermapen and I do that. I even tablated what # of cups equal what and tested how accurate my meassuring cups are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Can anyone post some guidelines on cold brewing coffee? I looked it up a while back found some wildly varying water-coffee ratios, 4:1, 1:1, etc.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

rockcity posted:

I usually do around 3:1 personally. 1:1 would be pretty insanely concentrated. At 3:1 I'd say you're around a 2x concentration, so mixing it with either half water or milk gets you right on point. I grind it somewhere in the medium-coarse range and just leave it on the counter overnight in a container and then filter it in the morning. It's a really forgiving way of making coffee.

Stupid question, but is that by weight or volume?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What would green coffee even taste like? Sounds horrible, that's like eating raw cocoa beans.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

To me coffee is like tea or beer, I can definitely tell the differences between different individual drinks and I can id what type they are but drat if I can describe them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Doh004 posted:

Oh man, warm weather. You know what that means?

Iced coffee season. Cold brew here I come.

I was just about to ask about this. I remember asking about Cold Brew recipe ratios last year.(I'll probably have to track down those posts)

So does the thread have any other good iced coffee recipes?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
do you coffee nerds also do basic troubleshooting help? I have a 2011 Virtuoso grinder that suddenly sounds softer while grinding. search engines arent helping because results for making it less noise keep polluting my search.

you think baratza would still offer warranty fixes for an ancient machine?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
currently ordering grinder cleaning tabs.

has there been any changes in the years since I bought my last bottle of urnex grinder tablets, or are tablets of corn and stuff a mature technology?

e: is there a difference between these 4 types of grinder cleaners? I have this yellow one https://urnex.com/grindz-grinder-cleaning-tablets

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
well I've always wanted to do a tear down and minor repair work on it, I guess I'll try doing that.

I think i even have the ancient pdfs from when I originally bought it.

meanwhile I'm going to have to go back to preground coffee or more tea for a few days.