Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hey guys I'm a poor student and I drink coffee a lot, usually preground with an aeropress but I'd like to try grinding my own beans. What's a good cheap grinder if there is such a thing? Something like this perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Capresso Infinity is the entry level grinder these guys recommend. I have one and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-01-Infinity-Grinder-Black/dp/B0000AR7SY

Beyond my budget I'm afraid, and they seem to be unavailable in the UK.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

angor posted:

Are the Hario grinders that bad? I currently have no coffee stuff at home and am pretty close to a Hario grinder + Aeropress setup.

Had mine for a few days now and it seems perfectly fine for my Aeropress.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Y'all should get some British kettles :science:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Speaking of online beans, anyone know any good UK-based websites? I'm looking to branch beyond 'whatever my local supermarket is stocking'.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I ordered some Guatemala El Bosque Amatitlan Washed Red Bourbon from hasbean because the taste notes sound incredible (chocolate biscuit, brown sugar and a hint of green apple) but no doubt I'll make my way around all the mentioned websites trying different poo poo out. :science:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got a V60 to go with my aeropress and French press. I just need a chemex now and I'll be set.

Anyone here use the V60?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jan posted:

Everything you need to know about brewing with a V60.

e: vvvvv
that one looks serious, though. :v:

I don't want a V60 anymore.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's the consensus on cold brewing in here? I've seen some people raving about it saying it's the best way to make coffee, and others say it's a waste of time.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've never tried it before but I've just made a batch using my French press for tomorrow so I'll find out. I was just curious because I saw a nifty looking Hario cold brew device on Amazon for quite cheap and am thinking about grabbing one.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah I use that method all the time to make iced coffee (filter hot coffee directly over ice). Didn't realise that was the "Japanese" way to do it haha.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Goddamnit

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

bondetamp posted:

I know I need to try cold brew some day, but I think I'll pass on this one.

Even if they have a fantastic video.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/735135736/you-deserve-better-coffee-make-it-now-with-the-arc

Looks cool, but I've been using my French press to do cold brew lately and it works for me.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Does a consistent grind really make that much of a difference? Genuine question. I have a Skerton and I've noticed that the grinds are usually inconsistent as gently caress, especially the courser you go.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Why is acidity seemingly a desirable trait in coffee? I don't find it very appealing at all.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

What are the issues with oily beans?

Burrs getting clogged with oil or something like that I'd guess

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I ordered some beans from a new place, and they say to wait for at least a week before using the beans for best results. Is this generally good advice to follow? Up till now I've just assumed "the sooner the fresher" so I've been using beans straight after roasting.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've noticed since I've started buying beans from roasters that for the first couple of days after opening a new pack, the coffee I make comes out great and I can really smell and taste the different notes and enjoy the hell out of it. After about 3 days though and no matter what beans they are they all seem to develop this generic smell and taste which is really disappointing. What prompted me to make this post are the latest beans I bought, honestly for the first two days the coffee I was making was probably the best I've had yet but before I made it halfway through the pack they seemed to lose those awesome nuances that made me enjoy so much.

Are coffee beans really that volatile that they'll change for the worse after such a short time? My brewing methods are quite consistent so I don't think it's anything to do with that. Is it a storage issue? I've been storing beans in in their original packets in an airtight tupperware box in the cupboard (not next to the oven or fridge so no heat fluctuations) which I thought would be sufficient but a bit of googling says that even airtight tupperware is only good for 72 hours or so. How do you guys store your beans?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

qutius posted:

I use a green mason jar that came with a batch of beans I bought from a local roaster. I keep it on the counter, but in a spot where it doesn't get any light. I've gotten to the point where I notice a pretty big drop off after about a week (or so), I make it a point to buy beans the day after they were roasted. That seems to work for me.

How many days past the roast date do you usually buy?

I order mine online and usually pay for first class postage so they typically arrive the day after roasting.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My worst coffee mishap was forgetting to lock the filter cap onto the Aeropress (and I do it inverted) so when I turned that bad boy upside down hot water and grinds went flying all over the kitchen and me.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Just ordered a Wilfa WSCG-2. I know it's not going to be as good as a lot of grinders that get recommended in here but it's as much as I'm willing to stretch my budget to under my current circumstances, and I've read it's a decent grinder for the price range (I paid about £90 including delivery from Finland). Also I really dig the spinning chamber with the written options for different grind settings.

Mainly I'm looking forward to ditching the Skerton. Hardly been drinking any coffee lately purely because I can't be bothered with all the manual grinding anymore.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Oh, well that's awesome :)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Erwin posted:

Hi coffee thread. I got a new job working from home and I wanted to get my coffee game right so I got a Baratza Virtuoso grinder. The book recommended setting the grind to 20 (for drip) but the grinds are basically chunks of bean. That's not right, is it? See picture:

Yeah that's about the grind you'd want for making cold brew, way way too coarse for drip. You're looking for around medium-fine which would look something like this:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I have a moka, it's good for when I can't be bothered faffing around with pourover or the aeropress. By it's nature the coffee it makes is very strong compared to an aeropress so sometimes I dilute it with equal amounts milk or hot water depending on what I fancy.

Also I've found that an aeropress filter paper fits perfectly over the moka pot metal filter and it results in a much cleaner and brighter cup imo. I got an awesome cup this way the other day, very fruity.

That said I have been fancying a CCD for a while now in my quest to acquire as many brewing devices as possible.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got my Wilfa Svart grinder at last, it's truly a revelation not having to stand around cranking a handmill for several minutes every time I want a cup of coffee anymore.

Although I suspect that I will now be getting through coffee at an alarming rate in comparison.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've been getting my beans from a different online source recently, and I've noticed that when blooming they hardly give off any gasses at all. Comparing this against other roasters I've previously used where the new beans bubble and fizz like a mad scientist's laboratory and it makes me wonder if said beans aren't as freshly roasted as they're made out to be?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Post your sources. Could be; I'm super happy to have local available for this reason.

It's rave coffee. I'm in the UK but I believe they operate in the US too?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What is it?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My favourite roasting website has just started stocking a "cupping brewer" which looks somewhat interesting. Anyone here had any experience with such a brewing device?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I usually pay around £6-8 for a bag of beans, I feel slightly uncomfortable spending more than that given I'm a lousy unemployed student.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

oh dang guess what line we are carrying now after some wheeling and dealing at SCA last weekend:

This looks like it belongs in a Wes Anderson movie.

I love it.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Carpet posted:

Best place is wherever you can get them freshest. Has Bean has a good selection, and I like the design of their bags. Check out Coffee Forums though.

Seconding Has Bean. Super fast delivery for cheap as well.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

TheDarkFlame posted:

On the topic of older beans, I told my mother I bought myself a coffee grinder and she gave me some Tesco coffee beans she bought a while ago thinking they were ground coffee.

Turns out she bought them more than a while ago. The label on the back says Best Before End: SEP/14

Cold brew, obviously

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Fizzy coffee sounds gross

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The skerton sucks, it gets recommended way too much. I sold mine after a few months and upgraded to a Wilfa svart

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I find myself using my french press more and more these days because it's imo the quickest and easiest way to make coffee and I can't be bothered with all the faffing that comes with pourover.

Saying that, can anyone give recommendations for a good cafetiere or is it a case of "they're all pretty much the same thing don't spend more than £10 on one you dummy".

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I refuse to drink coffee after 5pm but I'll go nuts before then. Works for me!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Skip the home roasting and get your beans from local roasters/the internet. Seems like a lot of work if you're just getting into it for the first time.

If you want to go pour over then V60's are very cheap and you'd do well to put the rest of your budget towards a decent electric grinder - a baratza encore is a decent entry model and is going for $130 on Amazon but you could probably find one a bit cheaper if you look around. I say go for electric because hand grinders are a pain in the rear end and you'll quickly get bored of it. Also the cheaper models just flat out suck and you won't be getting consistent grinds.

Oh and you'll need a gooseneck kettle for pour over. Well not need, but it helps a lot. That's more cost.

Other options that wouldn't require a gooseneck would be an aeropress or a clever coffee dripper. Both will give you good cups of coffee and are very easy to use.

Personally I started with an aeropress and a hario skerton hand grinder. I upgraded to an electric grinder after a few months though because as mentioned above I got sick of it and the grinds were just inconsistent.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Anyone here have or have used a Behmor Brazen Plus and could weigh in with any opinions? I'm looking for a quick and easy way to make a big batch of coffee in the morning to fill my thermos with and I've read in several places that the BBP is pretty good for the price (I can get one for £150 in the UK).

If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be glad to hear them also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I bought a bag of this stuff because Laphroaig make my favourite whisky so I just had to try it:

Tasting notes are peat, liquorice, barley. They're not far off, it's certainly one of the more unusual cups of coffee I've ever had.

Edit: Also my burps now taste like whisky which is great.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 4, 2017