Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Neptr posted:

I just got a French press for my birthday and it makes a drat good coffee.

How the hell do you clean it?

Pull the top out of the bottom, scrub the glass part with some soap and a bottle brush, then unscrew the plunger thing and clean the individual parts.

I'm assuming you were wondering how to separate the mesh filter from the things holding it together and not how to wash dishes in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Cyril Sneer posted:

Yikes. I just received a french press and grinder for christmas...am I really supposed to be thinking about it this much? :confused:

I found that starting with 35g of ground coffee and 500g of water was a good jumping off point for my French press coffee. Then I could tweak ratios as I worked through a bag of coffee to get things just right.

I just recently switched to a drip system, which is awesome and I like better than the French press. How important is it to get one of those kettles with the long thin spout? Right now I just pour direct from the kettle while trying to keep the water as close to the coffee as possible.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Michael Arrington pretends he's a true "coffee geek"

While reading I'm reminded of 0:53-0:55 from this Austin Powers clip.

I almost want to drop a link to this thread in the comments just to see if he'll bite.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

The fact that he has an aeropres, chemex, and a zojirushi water heater and still uses Starbucks coffee makes my head hurt.

And he's in SEATTLE. It's not like he doesn't have a bunch of awesome local roasters nearby.

Also, I knew you guys would understand. :psyboom:

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

Hey guys, me again with more newbie stuff.

If I get coffee ground up for me at the store, how long will it be good? I know I know, grind it myself, but I don't have a burr grinder and can't afford one. I have a blade grinder but you know how it is, I get a bunch of powder along with some big ol' chunks and my coffee never brews the way I want (I'm using a moka pot). The kitchenware store near my apartment sells a bunch of locally roasted coffee that you can grind there, so I wanna know how often I'd have to buy it if I didn't want it to taste bland/bad.

What storage method would you use for the preground coffee? That affects the answer quite a bit.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

Just the bag it comes in I guess? I don't know I hadn't really thought about it.

OK so if you're using the bag it comes in then the sperglord answer of 1 minute applies.

Coffee goes stale with exposure to oxygen/air (as I understand things). Ground coffee goes staler, faster, because grinding makes itty bitty particles with lots and lots of surface area. Storing coffee in a way that air can get to it easily (not in a bag with a one way valve or a vacuum container) means it's going to go stale really, really fast.

I agree with a previous poster, however, who said that if you're just getting into coffee don't bother with anything that needs a specific grind- just do blade grinder and pour-over. Sometimes when reading this thread I want to go balls-to-the-wall about coffee and start caring about dissolved particles and atmospheres of pressure and millibars, and then I remember that at the end of the day as long as it tastes pretty damned good I don't care about achieving perfection.

Also I add sugar and cream to my coffee and that means I'm automatically a heretic.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Metanaut posted:

I keep seeing different opinions about this. I recently got myself a grinder and been storing the beans in the fridge, because the guys at my coffee shop told me to do that with preground.

So what's the best way? :can: Their bags have a tiny valve to remove condensation I guess.

Vacu-Vin Coffee Saver

The valve is to let off outgassed CO2 and to keep oxygen from getting in with the beans. Condensation is always an issue when moving coffee from cold to warm and then back to cold.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

lags posted:

It's been a long time since coffee storage was ACTUALLY a point of contention. It is now generally agreed that you should store your coffee at room temperature or slightly cooler, in a sealed container, in a dry dark place. A jar in the cupboard is perfectly acceptable. The vacuum container above is a great idea if you feel a need to spend money, otherwise strikes me as a bit overboard.

I find that it preserves the nuances of a bean's essential essences while allowing the oils to outgas the optimum levels of CO2, while perhaps toning down the post cupping flavors but not to an overly detrimental degree.

Actually, I have no idea WHY I use that over anything else. I think it might have been recommended sometime in the bowels of the last Coffee threat, or perhaps in the GWS Product Recommendation thread. At this point, it's placebo I'm sure.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

lags posted:

I do like your spergy coffee geek reason though.

(Completely made up :ssh: )

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bodum has come out with an automatic coffee maker

Pretty snazzy looking. I'm very interested to see if it compares, quality wise, to the Technivorm. I'm also pretty happy that geek coffee seems to have caught on enough that there's room in the market for more than two high end automatic coffee makers.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lord Dekks posted:

Bit of a weird question here, but anyone else have acid reflux or something similar? If so how do you find different brewing methods affect you? I absolutely love french press, even compared to espresso, but find that more than a mugful can sometimes be a little harsh on my stomach after, presumably because more of the oils and sludge gets in your cup.

I don't have any such problems with Filter coffee, but doesn't taste quite as rich/flavourful. If anyone else is like me, how do you find the Aeropress or something like the clever coffee dripper?

Also, I know its a hard thing to quantify, but how does the taste from a Aeropress compare to a pourover, versus a french press? I used to like doing a Moka pot once in a while to make a poor mans Americano style drink, is the Aeropress similar in flavour?

I too had terrible heartburn with French press, and it's lightened up a lot since going to pour-over.

Flavor between French press and pour over is... well French press is Strong As Hell whereas pour over is more Oh Hey This Is Good Coffee. Like the difference between a slightly over toasted piece of bread and a perfectly toasted piece of bread.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've been wondering about the differences in filters for pour-overs too. I currently use a filter made of ripstop nylon, but am open to changing it up.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is a Starbucks Barista coffee/espresso machine any good? Asking because someone just put a nearly new one on Craigslist for $120 and would be willing to drive it to where I work (so I don't have to drive and go get it). I'm thinking of pouncing on it, because I'd like to start getting into espresso, but I would rather save my money for something better if it sucks or something.

Link to CL Listing

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

For $120 you won't find much that's better. If I remember correctly, it's actually not a half bad entry level unit, though it was way overpriced new. Do you already have a decent grinder?

Sweet, and yeah, I do. Thanks!

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Because Starbucks is to good coffee what box wine is to good wine. So when you have people like those of us in this thread, who know their poo poo about fresh beans and roasting and grind size and brew time and water temp and dissolved solids and surfing the air hole, anyone who comes around going "You know, Starbucks is totally OK" is going to get sent straight back to the kiddie table.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Are there any roasts/ varietals of coffee that don't make very good espresso? Or is it just a preference thing? I have had two espresso roasts and while they were really good I'd like to try something a little more FC+, but I know next to nothing about if it will be decent or not. Can I make espresso out of the same types of coffee that I like to make pour-over out of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thanks, sorry what I meant to say was Espresso Blend, not Espresso Roast.