Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I've never drank coffee before, but I'd like to give it a try. I'm not looking to make it a daily habit because of the cost and because I don't like too much caffeine. However, I'm interested in expanding my palette and trying something new.

That said, how should I get started? I live near Seattle, so there's plenty of options. Getting something from Tully's or Starbucks would be easiest, but I don't know if that would help me come to appreciate coffee's flavor. Should I start with drip coffee or go with something like a cafe mocha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

mattdev posted:

How far from Seattle proper are you? Here are a few rad places:
I'm on the eastside of the lake, so getting over to Seattle for coffee is not the quickest option. But since I'm not in any particular rush, it might work for starts.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

nm posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys. When I started drinking beer, I began with the poor-quality stuff. I don't feel that was the best method, so I'm going to try the opposite approach with coffee. I'll start with some high-quality drip coffee, and then move onto the cheaper stuff for more experience.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Trip report!

I got my first cup of coffee at Milstead & Co. today. The owner was there and recommended I start with a cappuccino, which I did. It was really good. He mentioned it was made with Guatemalan beans from Stumptown. His other recommendation would have been brew coffee made from some African beans, but he didn't have any on stock.

I also stopped by Cafe Ladro because it was on the way back, and I got a straight espresso. The taste was too strong for me to enjoy, so I think I'll stick with cappuccinos for a while, unless I can find a place that uses African beans.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
My journey into becoming a coffee drinker continues, and it didn't take long for me to get used to straight drip coffee. I feel like I can taste a difference between terrible office coffee, Starbucks, and coffee for the connoisseur. Speaking of Starbucks, I got to try one of their reserve coffees (sun-dried Ethiopian Harrar) made on a Clover, and it seemed pretty nice as it cooled down. Do they generally do a better job with their reserve coffees compared to the normal stuff they offer?

It looks like I'll be buying a Chemex soon, and I have a question about heating water. Should I buy a kettle that can heat to specific temperatures or is it easy enough to judge when water gets to that 200 degree range?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Bob_McBob posted:

Have you got a grinder?
Yep, I do have a burr grinder.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
My first attempt with Chemex turned out...not terrible. I could tell something was off about the taste, though. What, I'm not sure. I believe the beans were roasted yesterday, which I suppose could mean they were still letting off gas, but I doubt that was the problem. My measurements definitely weren't the best, and it's something I'll have better control of next time. The hot water also seemed to cool down quicker that expected.

Edit: Is it normal for burr grinders to be difficult to clean? The one I'm borrowing has buildup of old grounds, and I can't seem to get rid of them.

that Vai sound fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 23, 2011

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Anyone tried the Kone filter from Coava?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

mattdev posted:

I don't own one, but I've had it at their coffee shop and compared it to my paper filters at home.

It's kind of interesting, actually. While it does provide the same, clean cup of coffee that you get from a typical Chemex, the Coava Kone does taste significantly richer. I'm not sure if it's completely worth the ~$50 cost, but if you do a lot of pourovers then you may enjoy it.
Pour overs are all I do right now. The $50 cost is a bit high, but if it has a longer lifetime than 500 Chemex filters, than it wouldn't matter.

Bob_McBob posted:

If you want to improve your coffee, get a better grinder. It's the single most important piece of equipment you can buy for making coffee. While I frequently recommend the $70 refurb Maestro, you are much better off spending the extra money on upgrading to a Virtuoso ($143 refurb) than buying fancy $50+ brewing tools. A nicer grinder and a $5 press pot is a better use of your money than a cheaper grinder and the latest shiny third-wave FOTM brewing gadget.

So you are rocking a Virtuoso and want to explore other brewing methods? Feel free to indulge in a Hario Buono kettle, Kalita Wave, Coava Kone, butane-fired siphon brewer, Espro Press, etc. There are very real differences between the coffee they produce, and you have your bases covered with grind quality.
Right now I'm borrowing a Starbucks Barista burr grinder (a rebadged SOLIS Grinder Scala). The Virtuoso sounds interesting, though.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Akarshi posted:

Hey everyone, super noob here who is thinking of getting into coffee. I'm not sure where to start, and as of now buying a coffee machine isn't very possible since I'm in a cluttered dorm room and am not sure where to put it (plus no available power sockets). I live in Philadelphia, so if anyone has any coffeeshop recs there, it would be awesome. Any recommendations for types of coffee? Also, is it better to drink it black or not? Some people told me that milk and sugar muddies the flavor, but others swear by it; it's all pretty confusing. Thanks in advance.
I just got into coffee myself. What I did was spend a week drinking cappuccinos, because the milk helps ease you into the coffee flavor. After that I dove into plain coffee. It was pretty easy drinking it straight, actually, even the stuff from Starbucks. Go to a bunch of different coffee shops, preferably better quality ones. I'd say African and Central American coffees are a good starting point.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
A local place I'll be stopping by in a little over an hour Tweeted this: "Aida's Kilimanjaro for espresso and the Colombia Geisha on the clever. $5 for espresso and $10 for 8oz brew."

Should I go for it?

Edit: I did go for it since I don't know when I'd have a chance again.

that Vai sound fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 3, 2011

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I was taking a closer look at my grinder, and a couple questions came to mind. Is it normal for clumps of ground coffee to come out? Most of the output is loose grounds, but there are small clumps that fall apart on touch.

The second question deals with the burr grinders. When I turn the hopper to adjust the grind size, I see the top grinder turn slightly once through the whole range of adjustments. Are the adjustments so small that it would be hard to tell if it's moving? Looking at the ground coffee it puts out, I can see a difference between the finest and coarsest settings, but I'm not good enough to tell if the medium grind is different.

The grinder comes used from my parents, and I don't know how much care they took with it.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

AriTheDog posted:

So I just opened up my refurbished Baratza Maestro, and it's pretty filthy. Completely covered with finely ground coffee. Can anyone else who received a refurbished grinder from Baratza tell me anything about the condition yours arrived in?
They sent a refurbished model in this state? Sounds like a mistake was made.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I noticed that Stumptown's Indonesian coffee sticks to my grinder more than an another coffee I've ground from a local roaster. When I set the grinder to the finest grind, nothing came out. The coarser the grind, the less it seems to stick. Sometimes there's also a chunk left unground stuck to a burr. Is that a sign of an oilier coffee?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Gravity Pike posted:

I've got some Coava Rophi with a somewhat distinct strawberry nose right now. (Seattle goons, get down to Milstead & Co. right the hell now this stuff is delicious.)
Stopping by this weekend. :cool: I'm looking for a good coffee to show my family these holidays.

I don't even live close by, but I've started making excuses to travel there on weekends.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

seravid posted:

some guy on Hasbean posted:
This is a really weird, but wonderful coffee. It's got excellent sweetness and balance but is nicely complex. A bold front end of strawberries and pears poached in red wine and sweet almond cherry frangipane, which turns to a mind-blowing intense strawberry jam on wholewheat toast finish. Really good break from the norm, and something to hold your attention. Love it to bits.
Tasting notes for Starbucks French Roast: bitter baking chocolate mixed with char.

I'm starting to be unhappy with the uneven grind I get from my grinder. I'm thinking of getting either a Baratza Virtuoso or Preciso, but I'm not sure how much of a difference I'd notice between the two when grinding on the coarser side. Any thoughts?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

seravid posted:

then poured over (in a circular motion around the edge)
How close to the edge were you pouring? Too close and the water will just pass by grounds on the side, or so I've read.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Keyfour posted:

The extraction should be taking 3-4 minutes
Isn't the time dependent on how large a serving he's brewing?

Gravity Pike posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that maybe you just don't like coffee.
I wouldn't say this yet. The first time I made coffee, I botched it bad even though I had watched a lot of how-to videos. I do agree with you in that he should find a good place for coffee for comparison, though.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

seravid posted:

Update :siren:
I'd also recommend trying filtered water instead of tap water, if you're not already. Some people have good tap water, but I don't know what your situation is.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Finally received the new Virtuoso grinder that comes with Preciso burrs. I was having trouble with it at first. The bean hopper would turn on its own to finer settings when I started grinding, and sometimes nothing came out. It took a little while to figure out that the red tab on the top burr (used for alignment) was painted on the wrong side. Now it seems to be working fine when I set it up backwards to the instructions.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Whisker Biscuit posted:

So, I just got my sweet sweet Baratza maestro for Christmas! Anyone else here use one with a chemex filter? If so, got a grind setting you can recommend me?
I have a Chemex and the new Virtuoso, which also has 40 settings. I have limited experience right now, but 28 seemed a good coarseness for 48g of coffee (with a ratio of 2g per 1 fl oz). I'm going to try 30 next. But if I were to use 21g of coffee, I'd try a setting of 20. The setting seems dependent on how much coffee you make.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Whisker Biscuit posted:

I had a great cup of Tanzania AA Ruvuma this morning - 5 tablespoons ground coffee to 25 oz water. Molasses on the nose and a zippy, lemony finish. Merry Christmas to me!
Good to hear that. I made a nice batch this morning with the setting at 31. I'm thinking a tad coarser might still help, so I'm going to try 33 next.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Made a really nice tasting cup of press pot coffee. Ended up with what seemed a fair amount of sediment, though, but I'm not sure how much is normal. Anyone tried pouring through another additional filter to catch the rest?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Sweet Maria's says four minutes.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Please convince me that brewing coffee in plastic containers is not a health issue. The Aeropress and Clever are tempting to get, but the organic nut in me worries that those hot liquids will somehow leach plastic particles into the coffee, and I'll slowly drink myself to cancer. I know the Aeropress website talks about how it uses food-safe materials, and the Clever is listed as being BPA free on Sweet Maria's (although I can't find an official product website to confirm), but I still worry.

The other option for me would be to get something like a Hario V60 (I already have a Chemex and press pot), but I do hear the Clever and Aeropress make a better tasting cup, so I'm looking for affirmations on their safety.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

kirtar posted:

If I want a decaf for when I feel like having coffee soon before going to sleep, what are good (preferably inexpensive since it'll likely be around for a while) options?
Are you sure you need decaf for that? Good quality coffee (arabic) has less caffeine than generic coffee (robusta). I typically have one cup of coffee a day, and sometimes none, but one cup in the night won't make a difference for me. Of course, the alcohol may be helping out with the sleep. Have you tried normal coffee in these cases before?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Took about two weeks off from coffee for no particular reason other than for a change of pace, and it feels really good to drink a good cup again.

torgeaux posted:

Like others here before me, I tried the starbucks lighter roast. ha. They have a display of the three roasts they employee. Three clear plastic tubes filled with the three roasts. At a glance, they are dark roast, burnt, charcoal, so I assume the dark roast is their new "blonde."

Tasted like crap.
Why is it that Starbucks roasts things so dark? Wouldn't it save on time and energy by roasting less? Do the beans taste so bad that they need to hide the flavor? Are people expecting a burnt taste from coffee, and they are catering to them?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I took apart my Baratza Virtuoso (per the documentation on their site), and now the grind adjustment is tough to turn.

I slid off the outer case so that I could adjust the white calibration ring to a coarser setting. After making the adjustment I made sure it still turned properly, and then I put the cover back on. With the cover back on it was difficult to turn the black adjustment ring. I did this procedure all over again to adjust the white ring back to its previous setting, but it's still tough to turn once the cover is back on.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I figured it out. The case was resting on top of one of the grind adjustment tabs.

that Vai sound fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 18, 2012

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Why does my coffee always taste the same?

I've been working on trying to figure that out this past week. First thing I did was stop at a local roaster and order a pour over of the coffee I was going to buy. It tasted very good, and had a nice sweetness to it. I bought a bag that had been roasted just a few days prior.

Throughout the week I've been using a ratio of 24g of coffee to 350g of water, and varying to coarseness of the grinds to see what worked best. I also changed up my pouring technique a bit. Every time the coffee turned out generic tasting, and the only time I get a hint of the sweetness is once the coffee has cooled down. Nothing like what I had at the coffee shop.

I've been using a Chemex most of the time (making sure to wash out the filter), but I've also tried a French press with the same results. I'm boiling filtered water and cooling it to a tad over 200 F, and I've even tried heating the water without bringing it to a boil in case that altered that taste of it. I use a good quality burr grinder and grind fresh.

Where might my weak link be?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

How quick is your brew? Shoot for 4 minutes. How filtered is filtered? If it's too clean the water will taste flat, maybe try with tap water, assuming your tap water doesn't taste like sewage. Are you prewetting and letting the coffee bloom? I generally rinse the cone twice, prewet for 30 sec then add water slowly enough that the brew lasts 3:30.

I'll try tap water; it should be fine. With a 30 second bloom, it takes a little over three minutes to brew. I'll try to extend it a bit.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

nocal posted:

I had the same type of issue with my coffee all tasting the same; it's definitely because the water where I live is very hard (lots of buildup on the showerhead). Filtered water was a huge difference. So if you're already using filtered water, maybe you need a new filter?
The water filter should be in a good state. The tap water is supposedly good quality as well, but I went ahead and tried bottled spring water just to see. No difference. I also did a very thorough cleaning of the grinder today before using a new bag of beans roasted yesterday. The thought of needing new burrs installed, even though they are supposed to be new, has crossed my mind. Maybe they're producing too many fines.

I'm going to go ahead and buy either an Aeropress or Clever. If I don't have luck with those, then I know some people I can talk to in person about getting the best out of them.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Is 30 the right setting to use on a Maestro Plus for aeropressed coffee?

Thanks again for the SF coffee suggestions. Blue Bottle was a great way to start my day off before heading off for boring conferences in Moscone.
I don't have that grinder, but that might be too course. Aeropress guides I've been looking at recommend a grind on the finer side, like sand.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Gravity Pike posted:

That being said, I'd love to hear some of the thread's favorite Aeropress methods, because I'm almost definitely doing it wrong.
Today I talked to some guys who make a very nice cup of coffee with the Aeropress, and I think I learned what they do. I haven't tried it myself yet, and I may have missed a step or two.

1. They use the DISK filter from Able.
2. They use 25 g of coffee, and grind it fairly fine.
3. They pour 200 degree water into a Buono kettle.
4. First they pour enough water to fill about half the Aeropress and give the mixture a good stir.
5. Soon after they add more water and fill it to near the top.
6. Once that's done, they plunge until the first hiss of air.

I think it took about a minute to do all that. That should result in close to 12 fl oz of coffee.

Edit: I've tried that method now, and while the results didn't end up as good as theirs, it ended up being better than my other attempts. I think they also added water to what got plunged out.

that Vai sound fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 29, 2012

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I've been trying out the Bonmac dripper with these filters. The filter seems to block the hole a bit too much, because the coffee will build up between the sides of the dripper and the filter. I'm folding the edges as instructed on the website, but that hasn't helped. Is that normal or is there something I could try to correct that?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Gaph posted:

I try and grind to about this size. Small, even shards that still retain the structure of the bean. Going further you'd get more of a consistent grittiness. I'm experimenting with a little bit finer grind than what I'd normally do though.
What grinder are you using? I seem to get a lot more fines than that.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Starks posted:

So I just got a batch of guatemalan coffee from my local roaster and it says on the bag that the roast date was yesterday (When I bought it).
What if they meant Jan 2nd instead of Feb 1st?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I'm finally figuring out how to brew good coffee. Turns out I was confusing sourness for bitterness, so I thought I was overextracting and would in turn grind coarser. I should have been grinding finer. Anyway, time to buy some higher grade coffee to celebrate, perhaps the Benjamin Miranda from Coava if it's in store.

Storage question: Is it OK to store coffee in the bag it comes in if I seal it well and press out the air while sealing it? I've been looking for air-tight containers in local stores, but so far I've only found this, which seems overkill. I'd rather go for a cheaper option if it works.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Gravity Pike posted:

Ziplock baggies are plenty airtight, if you've got those laying around the house. If not, I haven't really noticed much of difference between Ziplock and just using the bag it came in.
Yeah, judging by smell I haven't seen anything bad about using the bags they came in, even if it didn't have a one-way valve.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I tried some coffee from Mexico today for the first time, and even though it wasn't a great machine brew, I could taste milk chocolate. I'll have to visit that region again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I've been looking into brewing at the office, but the hot water source only gets to 190 when pouring out. Is that too low to bother with?