Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Any opinions on this Capresso disk burr grinder?

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-580-01-Disk-Grinder-Black/dp/B001G8Y2NG

In general, are disk burr grinders worth it, or should I just spring for a conical one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks for all of the coffee suggestions guys, I'll check a few out. Looks like Blue Bottle will be my go to morning place while I'm there. :)

Is it worth bringing a pound of coffee back from anywhere with me?

I love Blue Bottle beans to death, so I would definitely recommend grabbing some. Of course, you'll get a chance to try them out, so you can make the decision yourself.

On a mostly unrelated note, I've been getting fairly sour coffee lately, which I've taken a sign of underextraction. I've lowered the grind size and increased the brew time in my French press all the way up to 5-6 minutes, which pretty much fixes the problem, but I'm concerned that I'm losing some subtleties by brewing for so long. Should I just keep dialing the grind size down and keep the brew time at 4 minutes?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
It's a lot better than those awful Costco-sized red Folgers pre-ground coffee tins that take like a month to get through, that's for drat sure. Every time I see one of those Godzilla-sized coffee buckets I feel a physical shudder.

That being said, the coffee it makes is average at best. You just don't know how long the coffee has been sitting in those K-cups since it was ground, so the coffee is usual pretty tasteless.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

nm posted:

From everything I've heard about them, it is a shame they'll only be used in Starbucks on burned bean.

I used to work at Google Santa Monica, actually, and our office had one of these things, but no instructions. I'm ashamed to say that I had absolutely no idea how to use it; how coarse should the grind be? What's a good temperature? What's a good roast? I spent two months and embarrassing amounts of Intelligentsia beans trying to figure it out, but I could never get a properly extracted cup of coffee. No matter what I did, it came out tasting like I had brewed it for about 40 seconds, which makes sense, since it brewed it in about 40 seconds.