Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I am not a coffee gourmet at all, I enjoy a good cup of coffee but I'm pretty lazy about making it. I recently started using a French press instead of a normal commodity brewing machine (and I don't find it any more of a hassle than a basic brewer), and after a few experiments have been really pleased with the difference. (How big a difference? I've gone from needing additives to enjoying black coffee for its own sake.)

What's the next step to upgrade my coffee? I'm assuming its going to be better beans.

I don't think I'm ready to do the whole DIY roasting thing yet, I'm still at the place where I'm looking for good payoffs from relative little effort... What are some good brands or sources of beans that tend to be better than average but are still fairly easily available?

I see in the thread Starbucks is not so well regarded. If Starbucks mistreats their beans so badly in the opinion of many, what is their rationale for doing so? Have they just miseducated consumers about what makes a "quality" bean? Or is it just a difference of opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

nm posted:

Because different beans taste different. Starbucks is built on the idea that its coffee will taste the same everywhere. You can do this with emphasizing roast flavors (by overroasting) over bean flavors.
Where do you live? Someone can probably point you in the right direction for roasted beans. For green beans, Sweet Marias is considered pretty good.

Of course I should have mentioned I live in Seattle, a few miles from the Coffee Kremlin apparently. It isn't all Starbucks, but I've lost track of who owns who. :confused:

Kind of interesting that Starbucks has so many different varieties and blends of beans, if they go to so much trouble to make them all taste the same.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

that Vai sound posted:

Get yourself over to Milstead & Co. in Fremont to calibrate your taste buds. If you're looking to buy locally roasted beans, Zoka has been good for me. The Rwanda by them has amazing acidity.

I knew there'd be something in Fremont.

Zoka is not too far away from me either.

Thanks all.