Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I noticed the same thing with my Rancilio and did the same method of pouring water over a instaread thermapen. This really doesn't work since the water coming out of a brewhead and spalshing against the thermapen is actually quite inconsistent in terms of getting a steady read on temperature. I went to the store (the actual seattlecoffeegear store in lynwood) and tested it on even their Rocket Giotto at the front of the store which only read 165 degrees F. So unless this store is full of poo poo and sells nothing but defective machines, it seems legit.

I did have them install an auber PID on my Rancilio so I can stop temperature surfing and know exactly what the temp the machine is at and adjust the boiler temp. It's ready for me to pick up but the loving snowstorm has prevented me from driving up to Lynnwood to get it.

G-III fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Been finally getting my espresso making skills with the Silvia up to snuff but I can't seem to "nail" the right blend of fineness of grind and tamping pressure to get the perfect 25 second 2oz shot. It's always slighty over extracted or slightly underextracted aby about half an oz.

Are there any good guides to fine tuning one's tamping technique?

G-III fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 30, 2012

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Just got myself a bottomless portafilter for my rancilio and am warming up the machine to test it out. However, the portafilter is designed to pump out 3oz shots instead of the standard 2oz. That present a problem as I amused to adjusting the machine to brew 2oz. at 20-25 seconds.

Does the extraction time grow propotionally with the amount of espresso used in the protafilter or is there some other metric to follow?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Bob_McBob posted:

I assume you mean you got it with a triple basket. You can just swap it out for your usual double basket.
Well yes, I could do that. However, I'm trying to determine the right timings for a triple shot, because hey, why not?

After playing around with it, I was able to get just a little over 3oz at around 35 seconds with my current grind and tamp pressure. It tasted, OKAY but I was hoping for better.

G-III fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 26, 2012

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Chiming in as an rancilio silvia v3 owner: the silvia is a finicky machine and you really have to get your grind and tamp right to get a good shot. It's also a single boiler machine (not sure if the Expobar is a single or a double) which means you have to temperature surf between making espresso and steamed milk.

The major plus to the Rancilio is that it can be easily modded to enhance its functionality. The need to temperature surf can go away with the addition of a modded PID which will allow you to consistently regulate the boiler temp and thus create more consistent shots out of the machine.

Of course after all that's said and done, a modded rancilio silvia and a high end grinder will cost you upwards of about $1400+ if you're buying new equipment. The irony for me is that while I love the espresso my silvia makes, I fell in love with a whole different method of making coffee. Boiling coffee in an ibrik to make turkish coffee. I love turkish coffee and it's funny how ridiculously easy it is to make.

G-III fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 27, 2012

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Yes, the secret to selling more coffee is to insult a growing market of people who have a legitimate interest in coffee.

That's just pure marketing genius right there.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I assume they put something in those cans whether it's 1 year old coffee beans or maybe just shredded blackened and dried bananna skins. Who the hell knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I've been using a Rancilio Silva v3 with a PID mod for the last 2.5 years. I feel like I've gotten all I can get out of this machine and am considering upgrading. However, is it worth it to buy say a Rocket Cellini or is the improvement on the coffee only going to be marginal relative to the high cost of $1000+ machine?

G-III fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 1, 2014