Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
It's approaching summer in my part of the world and I'd like to start brewing up some cold coffee to start the day with. Anybody have any guides/tips for doing so, especially in batches so I can store it in the fridge for a few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

What is so important about having a pouring kettle? I'm looking to purchase a Hario V60 but I'd prefer not to have to pay twice as much again for another kettle.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

becoming posted:

Having a steady, slow, controllable, and precise flow of water. You can make coffee in a V60 without a pouring kettle, but it will be exceedingly difficult to be consistent, and you will probably never be able to get the maximum benefit from a V60. If you're looking for a pour-over cone that doesn't absolutely require a pouring kettle, check out the Melitta Ready Set Joe, which is about $3 at my local grocery store (and 100 filters are $2.38).

The Fino kettle has gotten good reviews and is relatively inexpensive. I believe dik-dik has one and likes it. I got one for a friend for his birthday, and he's been happy with it.

May I ask, why do you think you want a V60 instead of, say, a Clever dripper?

Thanks, I'll check out the Fino kettle possibly.

I'm looking to get a V60 because I live in New Zealand and several places actually have it in stock. Otherwise, shipping becomes a major issue.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Sunbeam or Breville grinders? It's hard to find any grinders down here in New Zealand without paying ridiculous amounts on shipping, but an electronics/hardware store has recently started selling a few and I'm considering picking one up.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

rockcity posted:

Yep, love mine. My only real gripe is that they made it so that it definitely grinds on the finer side of things all around. It's coarsest setting is really borderline on being able to do french press and for espresso I'm at like 6 settings off the finest setting. Apparently the early models had trouble doing a fine enough grind for espresso and now they're almost too fine. I make espresso based things about half the time so I'm completely fine with it. I've converted mostly to my V60 for brewed coffee anyway. Aside from that, it's a great grinder for $200, especially if you want something that can handle just about anything but french press and also has a portafilter holder. The dosing settings are also pretty drat accurate.

Cheers. The smart grinder is one if the models they have so I'll look into picking that up at some point. I don't often have French press myself so that isn't too much of an issue.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

I remember a great cold brew recipe posted earlier in the thread, does anybody have a link saved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

There were a few really good coldbrew coffee recipes posted but I forgot to save them. Does anybody have a link to hand?