Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I want to make a mocha / mocha frappucino at home, should I get this?

I love coffee, I drink it normally quite often (not espresso, mainly Americano with milk in it). Some days, I'll make it with an espresso shot, filled with hot milk (that I have foamed up) and add a teaspoon or two of chocolate powder to make a poor man's mocha. And it's alright. But I want something that tastes as close to Starbucks as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

bizwank posted:

That's just chocolate flavored sugar water, Starbucks uses proper chocolate syrup like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000WJ9988

I know this probably won't mean a thing to you, what with me being an internet stranger and all, but I'm actually super grateful. That stuff looks amazing.

Every mocha I have from here on out, I'll be thinking of bizwank (gently caress, why couldn't you have a normal name?). Some days I'll pour an extra glass in honour of bizwank, depending on how lazy I'm feeling.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Thinking of picking up a moka pot before I jump in the deep end of espresso makers, but I'm seeing that I'll likely need to shell out for a good grinder either way. How realistic is getting something good for sub-$200 CDN these days? Not great, right?

By good, I mean something I won't replace for a few years at least and that'll last me through babby's first espresso maker phase.

I had a Moka Pot for years and they were fantastic. That being said, I've also got an Aeropress and from what I can tell (I'm no coffee connoisseur, mind) the quality is the same, but an Aeropress is heaps easier. Only annoyance with the Aeropress is the drat thing empties halfway by the time I finish stirring it, so I gotta top it up and then stick the lid on to prevent it going down until I'm ready.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Inverted method on the Aeropress is amazing. Gonna be what I use from now on. Also, the change from chocolate powder (which was still drat good) to chocolate sauce is unreal. Tastes really drat good now, like an actual mocha.

I haven't made an iced mocha yet, but I know when I do it'll be drat close to the real thing. Close enough that I won't be wanting to go to Starbucks to drop £4 on coffee.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's the best way to ease down my caffeine consumption? I'm basically ending up real dehydrated cause I drink so much coffee. I'm barely keeping it in check by guzzling tonnes of water too, but it's a chore. If I stop drinking coffee I get a mega-migraine and it's not very pleasant. I also want to lower my consumption so I'm not 100% a zombie upon waking up.

Any advice? Or is it as simple as "instead of putting a teaspoon of coffee in, put 3/4, then 1/2, then 1/4 over a week"?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

going hiking today, putting an iced coffee in a thermos to reward future me when I'm sweating like a pig and want to cool down

Qubee
May 31, 2013

quote:

Any stimulant or depressant, like caffine, will disrupt your sleep architecture from its normal patterns, even if you feel you have a pretty solid tollerance for caffine. Over time, the caffine causes your mind to linger much longer in Stage 2 sleep (or even Stage 1, very light sleep) rather than deeper sleep because the stimulant effects have not completely worn off from the day. This causes a reduction of time you spend in REM, because the mind needs Delta/Stage 3 (deep) sleep before moving on to a REM sleep session.

So, when you stop using caffine, your mind will then not have a stimulant blocking it from the natural sleep architecture that allows REM to occur. On top of that, a phenomenon called "REM rebound" occurs wherein the mind lingers longer in very vivid REM because it wants to catch up on all the REM time lost while you were taking shots of espresso.

I found this super interesting. I haven't been drinking coffee as much, and I've noticed this a lot. These past 3 days, I've had the deepest and most refreshing sleep, I wake up in the mornings now and actually feel energetic without taking caffeine, and going to bed at night leaves me waking up in the morning alert and energized, as opposed to feeling like a zombie. I've been having real vivid dreams too, which is so so. it's kind of annoying not dreaming of pitch black anymore, but it's strange and good being able to sleep solidly through the night, whereas I'm used to waking up 5 or 6 times in the night for no reason. vivid dreams kind of suck, cause they're mentally draining in their own ways, but I can live with that.

I've drastically toned down my caffeine consumption due to a bunch of reasons. keeping on top of dehydration was a chore and I'd get a migraine every two weeks which would cripple me for a day or two, morning time was an absolute nightmare, I'd be in a hazy fog for about 3 hours after waking up, even when drinking coffee. I'd also get a weird combination of jitters / jolt of energy to the brain, but I'd still feel lethargic. I also noticed lately that I was getting anxiety from my caffeine consumption: I didn't even notice it at first, but then I started seeing patterns, harmless arguments or discussions with friends would get me really agitated and worried, going out to university, shops, friend's houses would make me a ball of nerves.

I've got an interview in an hour or two, so I really lowered my caffeine consumption about 3 days ago. I felt like a nervous wreck when the woman called me and said to come in for the interview, but having dropped my consumption, I'm feeling rock steady and calm which is great. I'm also like this now in other aspects of my life. I can go out now without a feeling of impending doom, I can chat with random strangers and it's all good, my mind isn't racing at 1000 miles a minute, so I'm not having a constant internal monologue in my head when I'm out.

I initially only wanted to do this just to get through the interview without spontaneously combusting, but I'm actually really liking the effects of dropping caffeine. I might keep my coffee consumption toned way down from here on out, and instead of having 200mg of caffeine, I'll have 80mg which is the equivalent to a cup of tea. and having a cup or two of tea, or a weak cup of coffee these past few days has kept the headaches at bay, but I can feel it in the back right of my skull, so if I quit cold turkey, I'd be in for a bad time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

I think these are very, very extreme effects for a bit of caffeine. If this were my situation, I would cut it out completely. It's possible that you have a low tolerance for it genetically, or maybe it's exacerbating underlying anxiety problems already. Either way, talk to your doctor before downing another cup, maybe?

I drink an awful lot of coffee. It was fine at the start, but I guess after a few months my tolerance got so high that I was having to down lots and lots and that's probably why I ended up with whacky side effects. it could also be because caffeine was still in my system so I wasn't getting deep enough sleep and that started making me a little cracked. It's not severe enough to warrant talking to a doc though. like you said, I could just be more sensitive to caffeine due to genetics, so I'll keep that in mind and tone down the amount I drink.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

The takeaway is apparently you slowly process cortisol in the morning after you wake up, and people can use coffee to "jumpstart" or avoid this. Your body then starts to rely on the external jumpstart (caffeine) instead of the internal one (cortisol), and it leads to habituation, a less "natural" start to the day, etc. According to the article your body does this when you get up, 12pm, and 5pm, so you should drink coffee in the troughs in between those times.

Drinking coffee doesn't really avoid it, it'll happen either way. The only difference it makes drinking at 9am is the fact the cortisol (which is somewhat similar to adrenaline, but slower acting) will negate the effects of caffeine, so you end up needing to drink more coffee, and not feeling the effects as much. Kind of like fighting an uphill battle. But if you hold off until after your body has done away with the cortisol, the same cup of coffee you would have had, will have a much bigger effect on waking you up.

Also, why does coffee make you poop? Not only poop, really satisfyingly poop.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks to the poster who recommended that Monin Dark Chocolate sauce. It tastes delicious and makes some decent mochas (the best I've made at home). I can't wait to try and make a frappucino out of this, I think it'll be delicious. I just wish there was a milk chocolate variety.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 14, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

crosspost from offal kitchen equipment thread

Has anyone got any feedback on this coffee maker? It's got a good deal going right now, and I love coffee, but I've just been using an aeropress all this time. Would be pretty swanky having an official coffee machine with milk frother for some exquisite coffee shenanigans. I just feel like this is too good, all the reviews are from top Amazon reviewers, and I feel like most of them are shills.

That being said, the Cyber Monday deal seems legitimate, as all the other prices I can find online range from £150+, with most hovering around £180.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've got the American version since August, reckon the only difference is AC power. I think it's a good entry-level espresso & latte maker, but I'm a neophyte in such things. Coincidentally, my son broke the on/off valve for the steamer 2 days ago. I bought it new off an eBay reseller (BestBuy, I think) so I'm going to find out if DeLonghi have any kind of warranty option in such a scenario. My son is a bit of a Hulk in the kitchen, so

also, from Youtube it seems there's a lot of mods than can be made to this model, for those with that inclination.

Thank you very much, based on what you've said, I'll take the plunge and buy it!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

It's an entry level pressurized portafilter machine, and is the cheapest one Delonghi produces. It's not super good but it is one of those first steps on the way to "real" espresso if you want to go down that road. Keep an eye on your warranty dates, they are infamous for conking out (pump usually) shortly after warranty. You can get an ok drink out of them if you have good beans/grind, but the pressurized portafilter automatically degrades the quality of coffee produced in favour of consistency/being tolerant of bad grinds and beans. As mentioned, if you want to go nutso you can mod the portafilter to be both unpressurized and bottomless, which could be cool.

I've put the order in, £119. Are there any other machines purchasable on Amazon that are slightly more expensive but much better bang for your buck? Entry level is fine, but I'm of the mentality where if I'm dropping £119 on a machine, but there's a machine for £180 that does twice as good a job, I may as well just spend that little bit extra for a much bigger improvement. I obviously can't get the £300 monsters, but any advice would be appreciated. Last thing I want is to drop cash on something only to not be completely satisfied with it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Firstly, I really appreciate the time and effort that went into writing that post. Much obliged. Secondly, it makes me sad that we're paying such a high premium on these machines.

Further research has led me to this machine. I wouldn't mind paying the extra £100 on it, especially since it seems much better than the one I currently have ordered. Is this a decent machine or are there better alternatives? This review seems to say it's a very good machine.

I hate the feeling of buying expensive stuff, I can't stop researching them and it makes me so hesitant because I always find better deals, or certain cons, or a nicer machine around every corner.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 29, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I honestly am a layman and have no idea what the benefits of an unpressurized portafilter are. I'm also gutted I completely missed out on Black Friday deals. I wasn't even aware it was going on. This machine in particular was £50 cheaper (£198) and I would have jumped on it at that price. So right now, I don't know whether to hold off, or nab it during it's Cyber Monday discount before it jumps back up to £350. It may receive another price drop for Christmas, but Camelcamelcamel shows that for previous Christmas holiday deals, it didn't drop to ~£200.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 29, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taylors-Harrogate-Sunday-Medium-Ground/dp/B0077PPKXI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Anyone have experience with this? I swear the caffeine content is nonexistent, but I can't find "decaf" written anywhere on the product. I usually have 1 heaped scoop of coffee, but this morning I decided to have 2 (which I never do) as I wanted more of a kick. Bought this just yesterday, first time trying it this morning at 5am. The two scoops had next to no effect, whatsoever, despite brewing how I always do in the Aeropress. I'm drinking another cup now (11am) with 1 scoop, and I really am not able to tell if there's caffeine or not. Still tired as hell. I also noticed that after drinking the morning coffee, I wasn't forced to go to the bathroom. Normally my bladder is bursting after my morning coffee, which leads me to believe it's decaf due to caffeine being a diuretic.

Sidenote: don't buy this coffee. It's lacklustre and weak. Really upset with this purchase.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

I have no exposure to that coffee, but the "lazy" in the title and these items in the description:
"easy going"
"laid-back"
"roast you can drink all day"

Imply to me that it's definitely intended to be on the weaker side, but probably not entirely decaf. To go the opposite direction you can try the "macho" named coffees (which I think are ludicrous attempts to be edgy) like Death Wish, Psycho, Bullet, etc. You're generally going to be okay with one of the big name import brands like Lavazza, Illy, Costa, and even Taylor's has a "Java Extreme" that's probably going to have more punch.

That said, Amazon is probably only good for big name brands like I list above, especially for pre-ground. If you're doing pre-ground you're generally best off getting it ground in the store or from a dedicated small roaster since that'll be freshest, and in the latter case sometimes cheaper.

Thanks for the reply, it was the exact same train of thought I had. The wording made me second guess myself and I was so close to putting it back, due to the way it seemed to hint at the fact it was an "all-day" coffee. I caved and bought some Lavazza coffee today, really looking forward to tomorrow's cup. Will keep this Lazy Sunday stuff for when I feel like having coffee after 4pm or something, because it genuinely didn't affect me at all. I had 3 scoops within 6 hours and didn't get a boost of energy, which made today really rough and I've felt tired nonstop.

I'll probably never go with the macho named coffees, purely because of the fact I know they'd give me god awful jitters. What's the best way for me to keep the coffee grounds fresh? Currently, I'm pouring it all into an airtight container that I keep by the kettle. I usually go through the entire container within a 1.5 - 2 weeks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Been sitting on the De'Longhi ESAM2800 for months, waiting for my price alert to ping me telling it has dropped in price. Nabbed one for £180. Used it for the first time today and was absolutely blown away. I've been using an AeroPress for the past two years, and whilst it makes a good cup of coffee, it never really hit like a mule, it would perk me up just enough to turn me into a functional human being, but I'd only be able to get really strong caffeine kicks from coffee shops. This bean to cup machine has totally changed that, I press a button and it gives me a shot of espresso that I make a mocha with, and it's cafe quality stuff. Downed my first cup in about 5 seconds, and it was so smooth. Made a second cup and halfway through it, I realised the caffeine content is much, much higher than what I'm used to. I'm at that stage of caffeine intake where I can see light particles travelling.

I love the milk frothing attachment, it's so nice to have a milky hot coffee, cause I was always too lazy with the AeroPress to heat milk up in a pan, so I'd usually just drink luke-warm or cold coffee. 10/10, would highly recommend to people on the fence about buying it. Though I'd wait until it drops in price, £200 is what I'd happily pay. Any more than that isn't worth it imo.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 2, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

that's a fair point, and it may well be. I think I have just been using poor brewing technique all these years with the aeropress, because I'd notice it every time when I'd buy coffee in town that they have a much stronger effect on me. I was probably not using enough coffee grounds in the aeropress.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

bizwank posted:

Delonghi makes a great super-auto. I consistently see them go 5-8 years before needing their first service, and another 5-8 after that; they're very well built and worth paying many times over what you got yours for. The slightly-better (dual-boiler instead of single) equivalent in the US is the ESAM3300 and it's usually around $530 new on Amazon, and if you're switching from buying coffee in a shop to making it at home it will pay for itself in about 4-5 months.

You seem to know your stuff, so I'm going to ask: what's the difference between a single / dual boiler system. And what differences does the ESAM4200 have over the ESAM2800?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

you came to the wrong thread, fucker, cause guess who bought a cheaper version of that model and is absolutely in love with it? it's me. i'm the one who bought the cheaper model and is in love with it

now's a pretty drat good time to buy, seeing as the cheapest it's ever been was $30 cheaper and that was years ago (though this is only direct from Amazon, third party sellers have gone even lower). I guarantee you'll love it way more than the nespresso. my morning routine is so much more enjoyable now, I wake up, turn it on, push a button, and bam, cafe-quality coffee right then and there.

we're all filthy enablers in here.

graph of the price trends over the past year, not much fluctuation in terms of discounts. red line is third party - used, which is a no thanks. blue is third party new, and green is amazon directly.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 8, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You're not helping.

So what else should I grab when I pull the trigger? Knock box for the dregs I assume. Anything else? Do I need a tamper or does it do that for me?

I am here to help you spiral further into the all-encompassing addiction that is coffee. No need for a knock box my dude, the DeLonghi has an internal knockbox with a neat little warning light that tells you when to empty it. I get through about 10 coffees before it kindly asks me to clean that poo poo out.

porktree posted:

What is this tool you are using to make your pricing report? I need this as much as I need a super auto.

ask and ye shall receive, it's incredible. can use it to set up pricing alerts and everything. only caveat is using it turns the Amazon link into a referral one that pays camelcamelcamel, so if I'm feeling particularly tight-arsed, I'll open a brand new Amazon page before buying.
https://camelcamelcamel.com

Qubee
May 31, 2013

can someone tell me how to properly froth milk with the Cafe Corso frothing thing? I put 240ml of semi-skimmed milk (which I heard is better for denser froth) into my pitcher (it has a max volume of 350ml), then I tilt and steam it til it's warm, then I try and incorporate bubbles into it by raising and lowering the wand to get some froth action going. But more often than not, I just end up with hot milk with a little bit of foam on the top, but the rest of the milk is still rather thin. where am I going wrong?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I ordered some freshly roast coffee beans (roasted on the 22nd June), but I'm going away on holiday for two weeks, did I sort of shoot myself in the foot? I've only opened one of the bags, but have stored it in an airtight container in the cupboard. The other 3 are still in their original bags, unopened, in the cupboard. Is it going to taste as good in two weeks as it would if I had them today?

Reason I ask is because I want to know whether or not I should try each 4 roasts while they're at their best, or if I should leave them unopened and just go through the one that's open already.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Incredible advice, I'm really bummed out now. I'll try them all out and note down which I really like and the flavours of each. Just sad I don't have plenty of time to really enjoy them all, as I'm hitting the road tomorrow at 5:30am and won't be back until mid-July. drat. Not sure if I can squeeze four cups of coffee in today, as I've already had one.

This is some of the best coffee I've had, and it was a gift from a friend, feels bad opening them all and potentially letting them go stale by the time I'm back. Is an airtight container in the cupboard good enough to store them?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone have any advice for roasting coffee at home? I'm looking to buy something to do it and came across this. Freshly roasted coffee is super appealing.

- How long do unroasted coffee beans last if they're stored in a sealed glass jar in a dark cupboard?
- How long does it take to roast coffee beans?
- Is it a pretty simple and straightforward process?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For any UK people looking for an amazing coffee roaster to order beans from, give https://www.darkartscoffee.co.uk/ a go. Ordered on Saturday, received the coffee today. My favourite coffee hands down is Lost Highway, tastes like snickers / mars bars in coffee form. The smell of the beans is a night and day difference compared to lovely store bought.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

something that has confused me for a while now: why does Starbucks / large-chain coffee shop coffee affect me more strongly than homebrewed coffee? I can get a grande mocha and it supposedly has 170mg of caffeine, and I usually make coffee at home with 3 or 4 shots of coffee, but it has barely any effect on me. whereas the Starbucks coffee will have me bouncing out of my seat and send my brain to a higher dimension.

I've got the De'Longhi ESAM2800, so I just press a button and the machine does most everything for me. I had this same thing with my aeropress as well. it can't be the beans either, because I buy so many different bean types and the outcome is always the same.

edit: it's not the disgusting sugar content either, when I make mochas at home, the chocolate powder I use works out to be around the same amount of sugar.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 25, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Don't be an idiot like me and not clean your coffee machine for 6 months. I was just doing basic cleaning, wiping the inside clean etc,, but you're meant to clean the infuser every month, which is what I wasn't doing (I didn't realise). Coffee went from tasting weak and bitter, to smooth, tastier and creamier. It's also really easy to clean, you just take the infuser out and soak it in water for 5 minutes. So I've had 6 months of old coffee leaching into every fresh cup I made, which is actually really gross when I think about it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 10, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Update: I soaked the infuser in warm water for a while last night, and the water looked like it had pulled out a bit of coffee (not grounds, just dried coffee). Had three shots this morning, and all were tasty, proper size, etc. Fingers crossed.

Maybe I didn't read the manual well enough, but I didn't realize I needed to clean the infuser. The thing is only 6months old or so. I'll be sure to do it whenever I descale from now. Anything else I should be doing? Also, is there a way to manually actuate the "basket" on the infuser so I can make sure it's clean? I'm tempted to take it apart but that may a Bad Idea™.

literally had this same exact problem just a few days back, with the exact same results as you (amazing coffee). my coffee manual says to soak the infuser once a month, but it's so easy to do, I might do it every two weeks. I guess over time, little bits of coffee get stuck and it can turn rancid and affect the flavour.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This is the one I have. 4 stars, over 1000 reviews. That seems...not terrible.

DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N2YKQ0/

I can't find what the differences are between the ESAM2800/3300/4200 are

They all get price reductions on Amazon to the same price point, and when I bought my 2800, I was waiting to see if the 4200 would get a drop (it eventually did, 6 months later, to the same as what I paid for the 2800).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I was ordering beans from Dark Arts Coffee, a really groovy coffee shop in London. They roast and ship the beans within a few days, so the quality is incredible, and I loved the flavour of the beans. However, I'm wanting to break away from them and start shopping local. The prices are slightly higher than I'd like to pay (£9 for 250g that lasts me about 2 weeks if I'm drinking conservatively, which I don't normally do), coupled with shipping costs, and the occasional delay where they'll take 3-4 days before roasting and shipping it.

How would I go about finding a local coffee shop to buy freshly roasted beans from? Do I just have to hit the town and ask a bunch of places if they sell freshly roasted beans? Cause a lot of these places don't seem to, and Googling doesn't nab me any coffee shops that have dedicated roasting on-site. A lot of coffee stores here are very small places that just get their beans from somewhere else. I've just bought emergency coffee beans from a store and the quality is crap, cause they sit on those shelves for god knows how long. I even wanted to start roasting my own beans but the chaff messiness turned me off of it, I don't have a garden, so standing out the front of my apartment and blowing chaff all over the place doesn't appeal to me.

I'll even take UK-based coffee roasting company recommendations, as long as the prices are decent.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I'm going to give Has Bean (I really like their name) a go. I'm also digging the Brian Coffee Spot website, it's a chill blog to read.

I'm also super hype, I stopped by at a place that only roasts coffee beans and the two people working there were ridiculously friendly. Showed me all the stuff they work with too which was really cool. They said 250g are £5 because they appreciate the fact customers have driven down to pick it up. They're pretty much wholesale distributors but they're planning on opening a coffee place up soon. Haven't tried it yet but I'm excited to see how it tastes. I'm a dum dum for Googling "coffee shop" and not "coffee roaster", cause this place was right at the top with a bunch of 5 star reviews.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cold brew coffee instructions, go! Got some properly ground coffee beans from a local roaster, so all I need now are foolproof steps to make some banging cold brew. So many conflicting recipes online, some say 12 hrs, others say 24. Some say 1:4 ratio, coffee : water, others say 1:8.

Waiting for a callback from the roaster cause the guy is gonna tell me how he does it, he's pretty fuckin great when it comes to all things coffee related. But I'm on a caffeine high right now and more opinions are better.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah the japanese method would just taste the same as what I've been doing so far. It's all good though, Mr Roaster Man Extraordinaire got back to me:

- 75g/l of coffee to distilled water
- 18 hours was recommended
- Taste once it's done and if it's too strong / too weak, add more / less coffee per litre
- Once strength is nailed, I can start faffing about with brew times to see the effect it has on flavour

I've got 3 2L mason jars that I'm gonna make a bunch of cold brew with, and since it keeps for a month in the fridge, I'm pretty much sorted for amazing coffee for eons.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

12 hours for min extraction, 24 for max extraction. 4:1 for concentrate, 1:8 for stuff you don't futz with. I do 18-24hrs 1:8ish ratio in a 1-gal jug with a nut milk bag containing the grounds and it comes out great every time.

You really don't need to overthink it, the extraction happens too slow to seriously gently caress up

Thank you, I'ma do this in one of the mason jars just to see how it compares.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What on earth were the people who were slandering cold brew going on about? Japanese Iced Coffee ye sure, but my cold brew turned out amazing. It's insanely smooth and I've got 4L of the stuff to make all kinds of summer drinks with. Can put this stuff in a thermos and go to a picnic and sip beautiful coffee to my heart's content whilst the sun caresses my face.

Cold brew tastes flavourful!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Eh it works out great for what I want it for so I'm happy. When I want tedious, flavourful coffee, I'll give the more intricate and artisanal methods a go. But cold brew suits my needs perfectly atm because I can just throw it all together in no time and I've got a delicious drink, albeit with copious amounts of syrup / cocoa powder / cream / milk. I'm a god drat heretic and I love it. It's my summer vice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't remember who it was who Sextro (credit where credit is due) posted about cold brew only worth making with regular beans and not fancy, expensive stuff (because of the fact cold brew basically mutes a lot of the flavours etc, which is the main reason you're splurging out on fancy beans, to enjoy and savour those flavours)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApBycDrPo0

You were right. My bad for totally misinterpreting your posts as just mocking cold brew for the sake of it, when really you were trying to educate me on smarter decisions. I also tried Japanese iced coffee and the difference is night and day. I'ma stop making cold brew with my fancy stuff and just use regular store-bought beans, and start making more Japanese iced coffee cause the flavour is Flavor Flav and save the cold brew for lazy days and picnics / outings.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 24, 2019