Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ultimate Mango posted:

Popping in to say that Barista training was awesome. Taking my own grinder and machine were totally the way to go, even though my machine was finicky to set up and leaked the entire time. For a while it wasn't getting enough water from the reservoir, so it would stall part way through pulling shots, and I would forget to depressurize the portafilter and welp... the fourth time the trainer actually stopped me so I didn't get coffee everywhere again.

Spent an hour and a half on espresso. Learned a lot about grinding and distributing and tamping. Turns out a big part of my problem was trying to distribute, when really all I needed to do is tap down once to settle the pile and then just tamp and go. Pulled and tasted a bunch of shots, adjusting grind and dose and volume and seeing the changes. Tried double and triple baskets and higher and lower doses for each. Big take away for me was to just spend the time to try and taste and adjust! Also did the thing where the trainer grabbed different portions of the shot, maybe every five seconds, and then had me taste from the end to the start (backwards). If any of you haven't done it, grab some little Dixie cups from your bathroom or whatever and totally do this. It was cool how the end of the shot was almost watery and sweet and changed to really intense at the start!

When we got to milk the trainer diagnosed my problem in about five seconds. I just wasn't texturing enough.

The big plus to bringing my own equipment was at the end, we talked workflow and the trainer helped me optimize it (I was doing things like totally backwards and now I can make coffee and steam milk at the same time like a total boss, and even get a little butt shaped 'art' at the end).

Sure, it's no substitute for a real like multiday class or not he job training for being an actual Barista, but a couple of hours with a trainer was super awesome and I would highly recommend it. PM me if you actually want the contact info for the trainer I used (SoCal).

Have you seen the art on the label for my latest cab? gangbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Thinking of picking up a moka pot before I jump in the deep end of espresso makers, but I'm seeing that I'll likely need to shell out for a good grinder either way. How realistic is getting something good for sub-$200 CDN these days? Not great, right?

By good, I mean something I won't replace for a few years at least and that'll last me through babby's first espresso maker phase.

Moka is not espresso.
It tastes better while being more convenient.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 29, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Kalsco posted:

I've been looking to indulge my addiction and finally break into making coffee for myself ever since I found a place that serves coffee that actually has flavour. I'd like to be able to do something similar at home. There are a few considerations though before I want to plunk the money down, namely:

1) Budget. I'm looking to spend somewhere around or south of $100 for initial startup. I've nothing at the moment with regards to equipment outside of a temperature gun and a popcorn popper.
2) Flavour. If I'm not able to actually get something that is more than whatever bland, bitter crap I can pick up from most any corner around here, I'm not interested. I'm not expecting incredible results, just something noticeable and pleasant to enjoy while also drinking coffee.
3) Importance of roasting your own beans. Is there no hope unless I actually do it myself? Mostly a cost consideration, here, if my own roaster doesn't work or if I feel that's a step I can potentially cut out. I am in an urban metro so finding specialty vendors isn't an issue if that's the road to go for pre-roasted, but again, cost.

I've no issues with having to wait and deal with filters and times and temperatures. I already put up with it for tea and I'm very pleased with the results so I'm fine without having the coffee making process automated/streamlined. I'm thinking of a hand-grinder and a pour-over. Would this be a reasonable start to achieve what I'm going for? And if so, what should I look towards? I'm not looking to make more than one or maybe 2 cups a day.

I'd just refer over to the OP, but I'm curious to see if opinion has changed/what variation in opinion there is/better products are available for this now. Thanks for any help!

Here it is.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 12, 2017