Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Carpet posted:

I've been looking at getting an espresso machine for my new house, so have been doing lots of reading up this last week, starting with the Sweet Home's choice. After finding that their recommended model isn't available in the UK, I started looking around at other brands like Rocket, which I was already aware of. I was drawn to the Rocket Appartamento as it had good reviews (and loved the look of it and was cheaper than the other models in their range), but being realistic it was a bit too much for me to spend. I've instead been looking at the Expobar Office Pulser, which comes with the Eureka Mignon grinder (which I was looking at getting anyway) in this package, plus extras like cups, milk jug, tamper etc. Any reasons not to get it, and then maybe upgrade to a Rocket in a few year's time?

I have been waffling over getting an Expobar or a Silvia with a PID for my office. Everything I have read on the Expobar looks really good to me, but I am still kind of in the air as to which one to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

kim jong-illin posted:

I thought cold brew/ice brew was garbage that only suited people who generally prefer darker roast flavours in the first place and then I went to Tokyo in the summer and had the most amazing iced brew from an Aeropress (from Doubletall Coffee in Shibuya). It was light, no bitterness whatsoever, sparkling acidity with great floral notes etc.

It's possible to do great cold brew, it just requires a hell of a lot of dedication to dial it in properly.

edit: w/r/t the Silvia, I don't think there's any point getting one unless you're willing to put a PID in. The stock Silvia is pretty crummy - it steams at 150C so it's very hard to make good microfoam and you'll scald the milk very easily, plus the temperature swings when pulling shots are pretty dramatic. I put the MeCoffee PID in mine and it's a night/day difference - boiler temperature sits at 100C nicely, does pre-infusion to seal the puck properly, now steams at 130C and produces great microfoam etc etc.

Good deal. I would definitely have a PID installed on it if I end up getting it. My budget is about $1500 for everything (machine, grinder, tamper, bottomless portafilter, milk steamer, etc). Any suggestions are always welcome. Right now I have a Rocky for home use, but if there is room for me to upgrade, I will take that to work and use the better one for home.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can I infuse cold brew in an isi whipper? Would that be close (not sure if cold brew is just nitrogen or nitrous oxide and if that makes a difference).

From my understanding, it is the restrictor plate in the tap that is responsible for the smooth head on the coffee. I've not done it myself, but I want to at least try it. Apparently it does give you a creamier end product. When I get around to buying more cartridges, I want to put some cold brew and some cream into the whipper to see what it does.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

What's the dead-simplest way I can make awesome coffee at my work desk? Ideally not loud or messy. The coffee makers in the break room always taste gross and weak and mildewy.

A Clever dripper with hot water from the break room coffee maker? If I order beans pre-ground online will they be stale and garbage by the time I get them?

I have a hand grinder and aeropress in my desk. I have room in my office for an electric kettle, but any hot water source should be good.

I am looking to upgrade to a grind and brew machine Breville BDC650 just to conserve desk space, but still entertaining the idea of something like the OXO Barista Brain and a cheap ~$100-150 grinder. I'd love to buy another espresso setup for the office, and could probably make the space issue work but I can't justify that much money on another grinder and espresso maker. Ideally I'd like something for my office that's right at or under $300.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I WAS looking at a grind and brew Breville machine for my office, but I decided that eventually I would buy another espresso machine for work. I can't justify a $1500 coffee maker, but maybe next year I will. I went with the Baratza Virtuoso. This way I can just keep the same grinder for press pot, drip, and espresso. When it arrives this week, I may actually keep it for home use and bring my Rocky to work. As for the coffee maker, I am looking at a Technivorm KGBT 741. I like the look of it, and I want something with a thermal carafe. Is there a better option for the coffee maker out there?

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

porktree posted:

I replaced my Rancillio Silvia with a Crossland CC1 - I'm super happy with the CC1 and I the Silvia was also great (but no pid). If you don't have a good grinder, then the espresso machine choice is moot.

I keep forgetting about the CC1. This may be a good budget choice when I decide to get an espresso machine for work.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

A PID setup for the EC155 costs about $30 to homebrew. Is it really so cheap its not worth the effort? For me its tempting since it would give me a chance to get my feet wet and try home brewing espresso before making a big purchase of a legit machine.

Do grinders break that frequently too? For my coffee Ive always used a bullet blender to grind beans so this is new territory for me. How big a concern is something breaking for a grinder that will be seeing nearly daily use?

As Hauki said, a lot of these are built to last. I have had a Rocky since 2006 and was lazy about cleaning for the first two years. I've since gotten better, but it's been going strong since I've had it. I also just got a Baratza Vario, and chose that because it is user serviceable. Same thing with my Technivorm.

I was looking at getting an espresso machine for my office sometime in the future, but couldn't justify the cost of getting something other than a steam toy right (since I just bought a Vario and Technivorm). Some local guy just got a Marazocco and is looking to unload his Expobar Office Lever Plus for $1k. I heard about it through a friend that works at a local service and repair place, and he said the machine is immaculate. The guy is pretty OCD about descaling, backflushing, etc. So I contact him, tell him I'm on a budget, and we agree on $900. He says he buys too much coffee poo poo and doesn't have room so he's throwing in a Rocky (!), a bunch of cups, scale, bottomless portafilter, and knock box. SO I get to spend some time this week moving crap off of my desk to make room for this behemoth. My boss is about as excited as I am, since he is a coffee guy as well. All we had here was Keurig before I got my setup.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

kemikalkadet posted:

Out of curiosity, what cleaning/maintenance do you do on your rocky and how often? I'm pretty good at backflushing and cleaning my Silvia but all I've really done on my Rocky is take the spout off to clear grind buildup in the hole (only been using it for a couple months so far).

I run Grindz through it every once in a while, and every 8ish months I take it apart and use canned air to blow it out. Since both of my Rockys are the doser models, I brush out the chute that empties into the dosing chamber. I've not replaced the burrs, and honestly there isn't really a difference between the one I just got that had them replaced and my original one. The new one needs a new cam spring for the doser handle, so I am either going to replace that or look at cutting a metal funnel and using that in the dosing chamber. It's going to be used for drip coffee anyway, since I am too lazy to change the grind between drip and espresso. I also took out the flat metal partial disk in the Rocky, and used electrical tape to even out the top of the fins. I am much happier with the doses now.

The Creature fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 27, 2017

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I've been really happy with my Vario for both pourover/drip and espresso. I have a Rocky for espresso and one I removed the portafilter forks from for drip at home as well, and I've been happy with the grinder part of that. I wouldn't get a doser model though.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

a mysterious cloak posted:

So my arthritic wrists are rapidly making heat gun/dog bowl very, very uncomfortable. Thinking about getting the behmor 1600, but not sure if it will roast to a full city which is my preference. Any input on darker roasts with the Behmor? Or suggestions for a different roaster?

I could probably justify $400 hundred bucks for a roaster to my wife, but anything more than that would be pushing it.

I have a Behmor 1600 Plus that I use for dark roasts all the time. There are preset timers, and I think the longest you can set it to is 23 minutes and something. However, the way around it is to push the "C" button before the time runs out, and it will just start a 3 minute count down. This is supposed to be a "first crack" timer, but you aren't limited to how many times you can start it over. It's kind of a pain in the rear end, but much preferable to the HGDB method that I was using.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Flyinglemur posted:

I use my Vario for coarse grinds and it does just fine? No pun intended.

so....no one has any suggestions for home nitro setup? :(

My Vario does the same. It's what I have in my office at work, for both espresso and drop/pour over.

For my home nitro setup I just use my iSi whipper and do small batches. Are you looking for something larger scale?

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Flyinglemur posted:

How does the Whipper work? I saw conflicting reviews online. Ideally I would like to have one on a larger scale with a tap if it is feasible for money and space concerns

It works pretty well... for a home setup. It's noticeably different than the few times I've had it at some upscale coffee place, but I honestly didn't feel it was worth the money or space for a home setup. If I end up buying a bigger house and getting more into homebrew for beer, I am probably going to get a coffee setup as well, but since I struggle for space as it is, not worth it.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Jhet posted:

Even if you got into beer, it's another $150-200 for the nitrogen regulator, tank, and in-line nitrogenator. It's easy to go full :homebrew: on the setup if that's what you're looking to do. You could easily drop $1000 for the setup if you just buy a pre-made one. If you're looking to put it together yourself from piecemeal, you're looking at maybe $400.

That isn't too bad. For me, I'd drop the money and have nowhere to put it. I've had a complete beer setup before, and still have some of the components laying around. Just nowhere to put it all. Good info on the cost of the nitrogen setup though, thanks!

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I got my shipment of Brazilian thst has chocolate notes. Man this is good. I taste cherry, dark chocolate, and a bit of caramel. I roasted it to city +

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
If i didn't get an insane deal on my Expobar and Rocky drinder, the CC1 was my first choice for my office.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
Doesn't the maker of Crossland have insane service and loves his customer?

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I've had really good luck with metal filters, but i mostly drink espresso and occasionally Americano. I use the brands made for my technivorm and rinse them. I think getting unbleached filters and rinsing makes a huge difference.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Sextro posted:

I've never brewed with a worm, but I would imagine it is relatively easy to get within 10% of the extraction of any particular coffee also brewed on a V60. Now if that extra 10% of extraction makes a difference will depend more on the bean than anything else.

I have a technivorm and it seems to require you to move the shower head around a bit to presoak your coffee. I'm a huge nerd so I love to watch my coffee bloom and be involved, and i honestly think it produces a better cup than my pour over pot. Plus its just looks neat.

That being said Kenji did a side by side of that and the Bonavita, and he prefers the Bonavita for significantly less money.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's what I paid for mine and it's worth it. Stores inside itself for easy storage

I spent around $25 on a system from French Market about 10 years ago and still use it. It's basically a bucket with a plug and reusable filter. I usually make cold brew only during the summer months, but it's a good way to use up old beans.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
My girl finally let me meet her kids. Within 24 hours the 10 year old made me teach her to use the Grimac and Expobar to pull a decent shot and froth milk. She knows how to dial in the Vario for drip and the Rocky's for pourover and espresso. This kid is going places. She found my green coffee and wants to roast tonight.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
Why in hell is this so expensive?

http://buanacoffee.com/products/La-...Dzl9nAMsvTth7jw

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

other people posted:

Did your read the description? It's basically a small commercial machine.

Doesn't even take pods smdh.

Yes I did, but my Office Lever Plus works just as well as this machine. I paid a grand for a gently used Valentina and thought it was just an OK deal. I had no idea they went for this much. I'm wondering if there was something special about this machine that I was missing. And it does take pods with an adapter. I was just confused and rather pleased to see what it was worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

sellouts posted:

They’re charging 15k for a gs3. That machine should be 7100.

It’s a bad site.

That makes more sense.