Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Hey guys I'm chasing a new hand grinder for espresso. I'm getting a new manual espresso machine (ROK) and I'm thinking my year old abused hario skerton isn't going to cut it for espresso

Would anyone have any suggestions

I would like it to be

manual
Stepless
Appropriate for espresso
No more than $250

I am leaning towards the ROK grinder for that full set bonus but its right on that 250 dollar boundary and quite large

I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing before I pull the trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Lord Stimperor posted:

My ROK grinder is on the way if you want me to try things out for you. Can't make espresso since I have no machine for that, but if you want specific things I can show them

Ohh that would be fantastic, mostly I would like to see the footprint and exactly how the adjustment mechanism works

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Champion, mostly I want something manual that can swap between french press and espresso with relative ease. So when you are doing a "new toy fiddle" could you take a mental note how easy you would say it is to go from an approximate espresso to an approximate french press.

The missus likes a French press once or twice a week but I wanna make a daily espresso or three.

I am aware that this may not exist but that's kind of my problem in looking for a solution.

The skerton is a good enough grinder for the morning French press but adjusting regularly is a pain.

Edit: serious thanks dude

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

evilolive posted:

I really dig his french press technique. I only do that technique when using my french press. But lately it's been all aeropress for me. It's less forgiving in technique but I much prefer it.

Not even kidding his french press video is what got me.u to coffee and improved my general cooking ability

Tareing the scale.with the press on it was mind blowing

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Lord Stimperor posted:

My ROK coffee grinder seems to be delayed. It's in the country since the weekend, but according to the tracking code hasn't been handed over to the local mail service yet. No bragging rights and pictures yet :(

*Shakes fist at covid*

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

mystes posted:

Grinding beans in the morning to drink later in the day probably isn't the end of the world.

If you use a hand grinder I'd be less worried about noise and more about all your coworkers making fun of you forever.

Hi there , it's me , that guy freshly grinding and using the inverted aeropress method on-top of scales in the office kitchen

Yeah, what of it :c00lbutt:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have considered getting an Aeropress for the office as well. Is it easy to clean, like knock out the basket over the trash can and let water run through the chamber?

My office is fairly conservative and I don't really wanna stick out with a weird contraption. but there's at least one coworker who's also brewing really nice tea every day. Also, everyone constantly complains over the bad coffee. So I might as well cultivate some coffee cumture.

I can't bring in a complex setup, but something where I can just add hot water and pre portioned coffee that can be cleaned quickly would work.

I wanna know how Aeropress tastes and works, I'll probably get it anyway.

I use a metal filter and prefer it over the paper filters. It makes the cleaning slightly more fiddly but it's still a 20 second affair in the sink

From my experience it sounds like what you are after.

You don't need to do the inverted method for a good coffee and the aeropress can be quite forgiving when you get the hang of it

It's a nice Americano type thing , short and strong

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Well I got them

My first espresso machine and grinder

Should serve me well, I am excited to play around with them but it's too late in the afternoon to have a coffee

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Well in the 30 minutes ive had this morning to dick around with my new grinder and machine I'm liking the workflow of weighing and preheating

I'm supremely new to espresso so I'm unfamiliar with grind setting and such but that will come.

I made something that wasn't horribly bitter and actually drinkable so I'm happy for that as a starting point

Somebody asked if my ROK grinder came with the sticky material or the pads and it is the sticky material

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
My journey in manual espresso is going well

I've nearly got a shot time and grind down, I actually drank one this morning

It's all very exciting

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I speak with no experience in espresso other than this

It starting to feel intuitive

I do find myself just having to trust that the machine is capable of doing so. Knowing that it tops out at 10 bars mean you just need to go hard and hope for the best

Having seen charts from other espresso machines it feels easy enough to approximate the curve

The coffee is slowly getting better

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I have access to sheet metal at my place of work so I fashioned a small spiral screen in order to stop popcorning, it's effective enough

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Lord Stimperor posted:

I know you've found your own solution. But someone made a 3D-printed lid for the grinder. I'll probably make that myself. There are also other designs with a funnel, but I don't need that.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1274928

Would you believe I sold my 3D printer a month ago.....

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I am clearly in the wrong business if people are buying $250 hand grinders for coffee.

*Heavy breathing*

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Lord Stimperor posted:

That video is actually what brought the Aeropress Go to my attention. My two thoughts were "That looks dumb" and "I kinda want it".

But you're right the materials do look kind of bad, so maybe not that good of a call.

maybe I can just get a large cup or small carafe that fits around the normal Aeropress in the bag.

I think I'll order an Aeropress today :)

I got an aeropress for work coffee and it's fantastic If you like French press I'd reccomend the metal filter, it's good

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Foxfire_ posted:

I spent $250 on a hand grinder! The lack of play in the driveshaft and handle is very satisfying.

(the coffee is also good)

Can confirm, my hario skerton is developing significant wobble and my fresh ROK hand Rinder is stiff as hell. I won't need a new grinder for a significant period of time

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 22, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Lord Stimperor posted:

I made my first Aeropress coffee today! It was delicious and cleaning was really as simple as pushing the puck out. Very positive experience!

I think I'm stirring wrong though. All recipes I saw require a degree of stirring. When I do, coffee/water begins to just run through the filter much more quickly. That must mean I'm disturbing the grounds too much, right? Should I just stir the upper water layer, or as deep down as the stirrer reaches?

Play around , everyone aeropress's differently

I don't stir at all, just fast pour into an inverted one and rely on the press action to finish it off after 40 seconds

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
For what it's worth

My recipe

15 g of "slightly finer than french press"

Into inverted aeropress

200ml of boiling water, poured quickly to fully saturate.

Give it 40 seconds, put the cap and filter on in this time

After the 40 seconds has passed place upright over your vessel and press lightly , aiming to empty in after another 40 seconds

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Alright

So, I've got recipe , obv you guys can't advise too much but hopefully I'm not doing anything right

16 gram dose in
44 grams out
Done in 27 seconds from when the water hits the puck

Does this sound like I'm getting somewhere?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Big Taint posted:

RE: distribution, I saw a video that suggested you wobble the tamper around in the portafilter (sort of a Euler’s disk motion) and then spin it a bit to get things leveled, then tamp. I’ve been getting way less channeling since I started doing this, and I can do it with my tamper instead of buying yet more espresso paraphernalia.

Interesting idea, ive been annoyed about the lack of 49 mm distribution tools

So I've been working on a technique that involves an aeropress funnel and a hand over heavy tap on a chopping board, then spinning the tamper and then tamping on that

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Javapresse is the cheap and cheerful of hand grinders.

It’s not great. It wobbles a bit. But it is absolutely good enough. Camping with an aeropress? gently caress yeah. French press for a crowd who grinds their coffee five pounds at a time at Costco, and don’t want to change the setting on your nice espresso grinder? Absolutely.

I have two or three floating around and I didn’t pay more than twenty bucks each for them. Customer service is also great, any time I’ve had a problem or something broke they have just straight up sent me a new one.

So no, it won’t win awards. But when you are at a campsite and everyone else has bullshit coffee it makes you feel like a goddamned hero.

*Harios intensely*

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
To throw my amateur hat in the ring, the manual ROK grinder does everything I would want in a grinder

Consistent, wobble free , Infinitly adjustable grinding

It is a bit of a countertop statement but it works well enough that I don't feel like I'm fighting it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
The step up you get from a "step above bargain basic" french press and fresh ground beans

Is incredibly more enjoyable than preground and a machine

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

screaden posted:

Wait, all of Italy is lactose intolerant?

Always has been...

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Definately a bit of style over substance in that video

Like , he could have had it be a bit more casual and be more of a musings type thing, but the production makes it feel like a TED talk that is lacking

C'mon James you're better than this

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
My adventures in manual espresso are yielding well

Ive got a nice pre infusion timing going and sense of (for lack of better word) pressure profile building

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I make about half a litre of French press every day for the missus and I

I got a 18 dollar(?) Stainless steel 700-800 ml press from eBay and haven't looked back

Everything unscrews for a deep clean

It has made so much of our morning brew

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I would recommend buying a nice hand grinder and a French press and some nice beans

You can get all that for under $150

You can very quickly get into the ritual and work out what is your jam taste wise and tune

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

The Postman posted:

Is a cheap moka pot as good as any? Toying with the idea of making some espresso-like so I can dabble with something other than black coffee for my girlfriend.

There is a difference, also they are fiddly and hard to clean, and have set outputs

Just buy an aeropress

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

other people posted:

God drat it they are not hard to clean stop saying that you baby.

You just rinse all the bits under the tap (much like an aeropress I imagine) and it doesn't look like some moron's bong.

A good moka pot (like a brikka) makes something as close to espresso as you can get without an espresso machine, tastes great, and is easy as poo poo to clean. It might be a few bucks more than an aeropress but I suggest that is because it is made of metal instead of plastic and therefore there is no reason it shouldn't last you forever.

I am sure there is nothing wrong with an aeropress but buying one instead of a mokapot because you think the moka is hard to clean would be Dumb.

The process for cleaning , as you described, is fiddly

It's seriously no contest

Like, the Moka pot has far more intercies , threading, hot part that retain heat because grounds, a funnel that often needs to be knocked out, a clear "inside portion" with gaskets that can retain water and has a deep clean element to it, time to dried cont be ignored. I concede that there is absolutely a difference between a good quality Moka pot and a bad one. But I can't imagine this extending to the cleaning process significantly

The aeropress is almost hydrophobic and It nearly fires out the puck into the bin or drain hole when I clear it. Like the geometry of it is a one way piston and even that helps with the cleaning process, the grounds don't get stuck in little holes or where they shouldn't. It almost shakes dry and I've had it not by wet in the time it takes to finish my coffee

It is incredibly simple and quick to clean and every clean is a deep clean.

I use a metal filter in my aeropress because I don't like clarity of a paper filter and even then cleaning a small metal disk/shower screen type thing is a far easier task than any Moka pot I have cleaned

As an aside, having used both for morning coffee and work coffee. I found the ins and outs of an aeropress far easier to mentally track.

Calling an aeropress "espresso" is definitely incorrect though, however in my experience it more than makes up for the lack of espresso-ness and it is a notably different drink to french press

The aeropress bong is an idea though...

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

other people posted:

I'm beginning to think you don't know how to use a mokapot. I agree that due to the heat, a mokapot is Not Good if you need to repeatedly use it in a short timeframe. But then maybe you just need a larger mokapot.

Any remaining water in the bottom piece should be totally clear; you don't need to scrub it, just rinse. Knocking the puck out is hard? ow my poor wrist.

Man I would make a video but I can't do it one handed and I don't want to drag my wife into it and the postal service is on holiday this week (no really) so I'm low on beans. Maybe next week.

Just maybe it could be true that both the mokapot and aeropress are easy to clean and use options?

:thunk:

I mean they both are not particularly difficult.

quote:

Any remaining water in the bottom piece should be totally clear; you don't need to scrub it, just rinse. Knocking the puck out is hard? ow my poor wrist

If I have to leave it to cool down enough that I can twist it off without issue/enjoy my coffee, some coffee water invariably seeps down

The fact that you even need to knock the puck out is a step that is absent in the cleaning process of the aeropress

That you need to unscrew something potentially hot (or unscrew anything at all) is another thing that add to the fiddlyness of a Moka pot, relative to an aeropress

That the parts while cleaning are large and regularly shaped aid in control under the tap and the shaking dry that I mentioned.

It's all these little things that add up to make the whole experience far less labour intensive

Like we are comparing minutes here of clean up time but , arguing about minutae in our hobbies is the poo poo we both live for I imagine

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I'm funded by big aerobie

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I got a hario skerton 2 year ago because it was cheap and it has served me very well, starting to have some play but still works

I don't think hand grinders should be dismissed out of hand

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Red_Fred posted:

I accidentally bought Geisha beans today. $30 NZD for 250g. They are delicious though so it’s not all bad.

I did the same with my first espresso machine

Was very surprised by them, especially considering I didn't know what gesha was and was all like

"Are these extracting right? What's this flavour?"

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Jestery, completely unrelated, do you grind your aeropress and french press coffee with your ROK grinder? What setting do you use?

I'm using 11-13 for aeropress.
For french press, the manual suggests something in the 20s, but that is vastly finer than what other people and I used with the Hario; what we used there looked more like a 33 or 35 on the ROK.

(It's not that my coffee tastes bad right now, but when I switch beans and I wanna get the most out of them I'd like to know whether I'm on the finer or coarser end of the range)

Not at the moment

Best laid plans , and routine momentum have buggered my earlier plan

I keep my aeropress at work and have a seperate grinder for it there

I have a hario skerton next to my French press as it is just a less fiddly , and more practiced process when I just wake up

And my ROK grinder and ROK presso both hang out on the counter top. I'm still learning how to dial in so I don't want to dick about with the setting too much.

My grinder doesn't have numbers on it so I have no idea about where the setting is, if it did I would probably feel more confident playing with it

https://i.imgur.com/qJwnXc8.jpg

Long story short, individual grinder for each process

https://i.imgur.com/xlvPlK7.jpg

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Ah I see.

It's still a more straightforward process than on the Skeleton (Plus) that I have.

Very true, not having an indexing point for 0 means it's a very intuitive, implicit style of adjustment "more coarse , more fine"

It is nice to just click it onces of twice to the left and have a significant increase in quality, even If I don't know what it is set to

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Used to pass by a roaster on the way into work and would routinely buy fancy beans to have in my morning coffee

When I started doing this I started think

"Huh tastes a bit like cherry pits"

And the penny dropped and I realised that this sort of tasting is super why some people get into coffee

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Yeah I dug out my youth's drug scale, wiped off the residue, remembered a past me and made espresso

Easy peasy

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
What the hell is wrong with your plumbing that a French press slurry of gorunds and water is Gunna hurt it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

excellent bird guy posted:

Ok thanks, I'll keep flushing it. It means I have to clean the toilet a lot more for obvious reasons.

It was meant in general to the thread than to your question specifically. But yeah your hotel toilet should be just fine.