Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Archer2338 posted:

I haven't tried the CCD yet as my kettle is a cheap hot pot not capable of pouring gently (does that matter for a ccd? videos seem to suggest it does),
No, that's just show. It's like a press, dump in the water, give it a quick stir, get the lid on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Irony.or.Death posted:

There's just one thing bugging me; how do you clean out the grinding chamber in a sane fashion?
I don't. I go at it with the brush once a week or so. I also measure the beans I put in (instead of filling the hopper with an entire bag) and run it for a second longer to get rid of some of the excess.

I'm lazy I guess.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Any thoughts on grind vs. brew time?

I've settled on french press and CCD (for use with my thermos, gently caress sludge in there) as my two brew methods, and I can brew for arbitrarily long in both.

There's obviously a trade off in grind vs. brew time, but since I'm generally patient, is it "better" to go with a coarse grind and long brew time, or a finer grind and shorter time, to achieve roughly the same extraction?

Recently I've been grinding on the coarsest setting my Capresso does for french press and brewing for four minutes, and find that it's at least consistent if not enjoyable--sometimes my timing is off by ten seconds or so depending how far away I am when the timer goes off, and so brewing for longer overall means that such variance isn't as harmful.

I've yet to actually try such a coarse grind with the CCD, but I'm thinking it would help if for no other reason than it takes long enough for the CCD to drain (about a minute) that the brew time is already rather imprecise.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Reinanigans posted:

What do you guys think about drip machines?
They're useful for making a pot of coffee that can sit around for a while and stay warm, for non-discriminating guests who puts lots of cream and sugar in their coffee anyways.

If you're just making coffee for yourself get an electric kettle and a french press, CCD, or Aeropress. There's really not that much additional effort with any of those over a drip machine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I have two, roughly five year old CCDs from before the whole BPA scare and when they redesigned them. Do we know if the old ones contained BPA? I'm not one to usually worry about those things, but I figure that pouring boiling hot water into a plastic vessel and letting it sit for four minutes, every day, is probably the worst case scenario for exposure to chemicals in plastics.

Also, what are folks's thoughts on grind for CCDs? In my experience you can use any grind since you can brew longer if needed (unlike drip) and it's also paper filtered (unlike press). I tend to use the same coarse grind as I use for press, mostly so I don't have to change it, but it also ensures that the CCD drains quickly to avoid brewing too long.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

amenenema posted:

Just got a Baratza Encore and a Clever Dripper. Suggestions on grind size?
I use the coarsest setting on my Capresso Infinity and brew for 4:00. The main difference with a coarser grind is that it drains faster, so it brews more consistently. I found that if you grind finer it tends to gum up the filter and can take a minute or longer to drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Buy a decent burr grinder (e.g., Capresso Infinity) and grind your coffee just before making a pour over.

There's no point to a pour over vs. auto-drip or any other brewing method if you're using pre-ground coffee. It all tastes the same (stale).