Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
My coffee guy told me I shouldn't use their espresso roast in an aeropress and he wouldn't elaborate on why. Any idea where he got that notion from? I like to use the aeropress to make espresso-like shots for my not-quite-a-cappuccino every morning. I figured the espresso beans would be a way to get a bit closer to what I was trying to achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Bob_McBob posted:

The Aeropress doesn't make espresso or anything close to it.

No poo poo Sherlock. Did I not use enough qualifiers to stop your spergmeter from going off?

Jackass.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

wildlele posted:

This project seems interesting, anyone funding it here?

PID-Controlled Espresso Machine

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zpmespresso/pid-controlled-espresso-machine

Sold out. You can preorder at full price for December 2012.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Any recommendations for a grind and brew (drip) automatic?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, don't get one.

get a Baratza Maestro Plus refurbished and a Bonavita BV1800

How do you recommend I attach the two devices together and add a timer?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Has anyone used the Presso Espresso Machine? Would my $150 be better spent elsewhere?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

nwin posted:

Ok, so I've found the settings that work best for the coffee dripper and I've been
However, the taste before the was great- it was so full and creamy...and it just doesn't taste the same through the coffee dripper. Now I've never tasted French press coffee before, but does the above describe how it tastes, since there's no real filter media? How can I emulate that taste? Am I just a complete loving weirdo?

Try a metal filter, the paper tends to filter out the oil alongside the grounds.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Coldbrew over night extraction in a french press:

Is there an upper limit of the concentration I can make? One 32 oz french press typically only nets me two cups of coffee at the concentration I have grown accustomed to. My question is, can I say use 2x the amount of grinds and then water down the concentrate? How far can I go with this? Are there any extra considerations such as a longer extraction time?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

frenchnewwave posted:

edit: Has anyone heard of/tried Gimme! Coffee from NY? A local "coffee shop" is using their beans but the coffee was TERRIBLE. Undrinkable. Wondering if they brewed good beans incorrectly or the beans are poo poo to begin with.

poo poo to begin with.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Besides Gravity's jerry-rigged system, is there anything on the market that competes at this price point?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bruer/cold-bruer-a-cold-brew-coffee-system

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Eleeleth posted:

Not pretty enough! :buddy:

Bingo

Edit: isn't there some kind of benefit to the cold brew drip system?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
RE: that Bodum grinder. I have been using that for about a year for a drip grind, however I realize that the grind isn't consistent throughout at all. Does anyone else have experience with the grinder? What should I get next if this one breaks on me?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jimguldi/worlds-first-roast-grind-brew-coffee-machine?ref=live

Seems interesting. No rest time for degassing. It is the first question in the Q&A and it seems like they completely dodge it?

I'm interested.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

becoming posted:

Question: how coarse are you typically grinding for Chemex? My draw-down still finishes fairly late, even with a grind this coarse - somewhere around the 6:15 mark (finished pour at 4:00 exactly), I was still getting two drips/second, so I called it there and threw the filter & grounds. I'll try a batch in a day or two up at 30 just to see where we're at, but I am a bit concerned about under-extracting.

Make sure the 3 ply portion of the filter is facing the spout. The extra stability ensures that airflow gets through and increases the drip rate. If you leave the single ply facing the spout the spout will be sealed resulting in a vacuum which could be causing your slow drip.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
I'm considering ordering roasted beans on Amazon. Looking at Intelligentsia it seems like they vacuum pack their beans but the roast date is typically 2 months prior to the ship date. Some guy keeps commenting that the vacuum pack saves them from aging or degrading. I can get freshly roasted beans nearby, just not Intelligentsia, should I bother ordering?

How fast was the shipping from Intelligentsia directly?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

becoming posted:

Been playing around a little bit lately with a Japanese iced coffee method. I've got this tweaked pretty well for my taste buds, so I thought I'd share here.

Japanese Iced Coffee
Why do you advise against a Chemex? - If you have a Kone, go for it. If you don't, the paper filter must come out for the ice cubes to go in, and it is a bitch to get the wet paper filter seated back in there properly. You can absolutely give it a shot, but if you've got another method that will work, I'd do that instead.

I rinse my filter outside of the chemex, does this note not apply to me? I'm a bit confused.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

becoming posted:

Yeah, wouldn't apply then. Rinse your filter, put ice cubes in Chemex, put filter in, brew as normal (but with half the water volume, of course).

You are more patient and/or skilled than I; I tried it once, could not get the filter to sit to my satisfaction, and never tried again. I love my Chemex and use it almost every day, but that's despite dealing with the paper filter, not because of it. :)

I tried your recipe yesterday and my only issue was getting the cubes into the chemex. It turned out fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
What is the cold brew method with the easiest cleanup? Are there giant teabags I can buy?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Do I want Ceramic or Steel burrs on my Baratza?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

dik-dik posted:

What do you drink?

Chemex.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Has anyone used one of the automatic pourover sprinklers? How is the quality compared to manually doing it? I ask bechause Chemex is putting out their own automated system:

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/coffeemakers/ottomatic/ottomatic-coffeemaker.html

At $350 isn't the Technivorm a better investment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Are there any gooseneck kettles with more capacity than 1 Liter? I can barely squeeze out three cups of coffee with mine.