Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I currently have the Cuisineart burr grinder, but I'm thinking about upgrading. I mostly use Aeropress and Chemex, with a little french-press thrown in occasionally. No espresso machine and no plans to get one. Should the Barataza Encore be OK for what I need? Should I get the Capresso Infinity instead? I don't really want to do the Virtuoso or up, they seem more geared to espresso which doesn't help me.

Also, Baratza refurbs are sold out right now, but how much cheaper are they than the new ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
My parents have this bad boy and I love it... when I move back out I'm going to miss it dearly, though $100 is alot to pay for a kettle. Probably just going to grab a Bonavita electric when I move though.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just got a coffee roaster/ popcorn roaster for Christmas, along with two pounds of coffee from Sweet Maria's! It's a West Bend Poppery II.

Here's my second attempt, first solo attempt - my brother showed me how to use it first and then let me take a shot at it. Probably not gonna brew it til tomorrow because it's getting a little late for coffee, but I'm super excited about this. Sorry about the lovely cellphone pics.

This bean was a Guatamala Huehuetenango Finca Rosma.

This is probably the best Christmas present I've ever gotten.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
OK, dumb question - let's say I forgot to roast coffee last night and don't have any ready to go this morning - how bad is it to brew coffee that hasn't had a chance to degas for the proper amount of time? Say, 30 mintues as opposed to 12 hours?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I've been thinking about upgrading my coffee set up. I currently home roast my beans with a air popper, grind with a lovely Cuisinart burr grinder, and brew using either my Aeropress or Chemex. I boil water in a terrible Rival kettle - it boils fine, but the pour is inconsistent. Despite a good bit of inferior equipment, my brews generally turn out pretty drat good. I'm looking to get a more consistent brew - right now when I use the chemex, I just throw the beans in the grinder and hit grind on a spot on the grind timer that has seemed to work out, and then I eyeball the pour - meaning I don't measure a drat thing. While a new kettle and grinder are on my list of upgrades (thinking a Buono and Encore), I'm think a scale is the lowest cost:benefit purchase. What scales do y'all recommend?

I realize that pulling the trigger on a Baratza is hands down going to be the most effective thing to improve my brews, but scales are a lot cheaper.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

DoBoMi posted:

Wow, thank you very much!
I think I will get myself that equipment, even though it is a bit expensive for me as a poor student, moving out into his first apartment.. But it's all about life's little pleasures I guess ^_^
Could you ever imagine drinking a pad/capsule coffee again? How big is the difference? Because I think I never drank a coffee like the ones you guys make it, I can't imagine that restaurants put as much effort in their coffee as you do

I can drink Keurig coffee still, but I don't enjoy it - it's just getting a caffeine fix, while my normal morning cup of coffee I make at home is a ritual that brings me joy.

As far as restaurants go, it depends. I've been in the industry for ten years, and it varies. At one restaurant, a small mom and pop place, the owners got locally roasted coffee in valve bags once a month, and fresh ground the coffee immediately before making every pot, in a nice commercial drip brewer. This is not the norm.

The norm is bags of preground crap that was roasted god knows when, brewed usually at the beginning of a shift, though on the shifts I manage I try to ensure that it doesn't get brewed until someone actually orders it. If you want to see if you'd be into it, I'd try to find a local coffee shop that offers pourover, just to see what it's like before dropping eighty dollars on equipment.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

DoBoMi posted:

Good morning and thank you for your help!

Have you ever tried to grind your beans with a Vitamixer?
But I guess they are too big for that use..

The city I live in is called "Nuremberg" (Germany). Unfortunately there is no roaster listed for Germany at all. I guess we don't value good coffee at all, at least it looks like that.
If I walk into a "coffee" shop and see a sea of Mac Books I know I am in Starbucks :D

I'd rather buy roasted beans, as I probably won't have a exhaust hood in my new appartment.

Take the list with a grain of salt. It's 5 years old, and biased towards the West Hemisphere, and is also missing my personal favorite local roaster in my town, while plugging some guys I've never heard of. While I could just be out of the loop, I know for a fact the guys they left out are legit as hell and pretty well known. The fact that there's not a single Italian roaster on that list makes me skeptical. Thirty seconds on Google gave me these guys http://www.roesttrommel.de/Kaffee/ in Nuremberg who may or may not be decent. I don't read German, but they seem promising - beans all preceeded by a country name, and as far as I can tell none of their offerings are flavored. As far as coffee shops or cafes or whatever the gently caress they are called go, just look for one that offers pourover and has coffee listed by country of origin. It might not be the best, but it is a million times better than Starbucks garbage. Seriously, I'll drink Keurig coffee black, even if I don't particularly enjoy it, but Starbucks coffee is the most revolting vile poo poo on the planet unless you doctor it up.

Also, that place I just linked might actually do pourover coffe at the storefront, but again, I don't read German so who knows.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 17, 2014

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Yeah, I came off a little negative, sorry about that. It's a great starting point, but don't let that list be your one stop for roaster advice.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Just upgraded my setup today - my new Bonavita 1L variable temperature kettle came in, should be a huge upgrade from the basic widemouth kettle I had been using up until now. Also got a scale so I can stop eyeballing everything. Now all I have to do is get rid of my lovely Cuisinart burr grinder and pick up a Baratza Encore.

I know I've asked before, probably here, but what's a good starting point for a coffee/water ratio in a Chemex, in terms of grams? Up until this point I just put a bunch of beans in the grinder, set it to a setting that seems ok-ish, throw the grounds in the chemex and pour water slowly and steadily until its full. It usually turns out good but it's different every time.

e; Please feel free to talk to me like I'm dumb too - timings, weights, any Chemex details will be greatly appreciated :)

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 6, 2014

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
So I'm sidelined with the flu and have absolutely nothing else to do at the moment, so I decided I might as well jump in on the deep end and make a spreadsheet. If anyone wants to take a look at what I'm tracking and see if there's anything else I should make a column for it'd be pretty cool :)

So far, I have date, bean name, coffee weight, coffee grind setting, water weight, water temp, bloom time, bloom water weight, pour time, total brew time, subjective taste score, tasting notes (ie a little bitter, a little sour, overextracted), and suggestions for next brew.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

mr. yolk posted:

Awesome idea. I'll chip in on the spreadsheet if you share it via Google Docs or something.

Here's the link to mine if anyone wants to shamelessly rip it off- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IJz_Kgw_E0tx671qJU2NXdKPaeTtQReJewZEtfLmVQU/edit?usp=sharing

No excel wizardry or anything going on, it's really just the same thing I'd put in a notebook, but I end up screwing around on the forums every time I make coffee anyways so might as well have a spreadsheet I can fill out while tasting the coffee.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

nwin posted:

Alright guys, I need some recommendations. I ended up selling my espresso machine because I honestly just don't have the time to play with it and my CCD stays at work. So, I have no way to get coffee at home now and that's not going to cut it.

I still have my Vario grinder at home, so I'm more than good to go on that end, just wondering what I should get to make coffee with on the weekends. I like the CCD well enough at work, but that's all I've ever used. I haven't messed with a Chemex, Moka pot, Wave, or any of the high end electric models.

Main requirement is it only needs to be able to brew one cup of coffee, so I don't think I need something like the electric Technivorm which are like 8-10 cup models. My wife has her Bunn single cup that will do keurig and other stuff, so she's good. We also rarely have guests and in the event we do, I can just make multiple single cups.

I also need to get a new kettle (my cheap Target offbrand electric one is at work), so suggestions for that are appreciated. I think I would prefer electric, just because it's easier to dial in the temperature.

edit: I have an aeropress and french press at home that I forgot about, so I guess I'm good for tomorrow morning. However, I'm not really a fan of it, so suggestions are still appreciated!

I'm a huge fan of my Chemex. There's enough art to it to where it takes a bit of effort and experimentation to make the PERFECT cup, but it's really loving difficult to end up with a bad cup. It's also nice in that you can either make one cup at a time, or if you have friends over throw a ton of grounds in and make a full pot. Also it looks classy as gently caress and all your friends who see it will think it's awesome or that you're a mad coffee scientist.

As far as kettles go, I got by with a cheap Target kettle for a while, and it honestly wasn't that bad, but I picked up one of these guys http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40 back in June and it's taken my pourover game to a whole new level. Like I said, even with a lovely kettle it's hard to make a bad cup of coffee in a Chemex in my opinion, but the nicer kettle absolutely makes a difference. The digital display is a really nice feature, and being able to set a temperature down to 1 degree F is really nice - I've found 206 makes the best pot in my opinion, and heating to exactly 206 every time takes literally zero effort with this thing. They seem to go on sale pretty often these days, I picked mine up for $65 and it's been worth every penny.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 30, 2014

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

nwin posted:

Any recommended recipes for the Chemex? Sweet Maria's recommends 7.25g coffee/5 oz which seems really low compared to CCD and French press methods.

Also, not sure how quick it should be pouring through...I'm doing the initial bloom and then a slow pour, but no idea if my grind is too fine/coarse because I'm not sure how quick it should pour through the filter.

I like doing 1:17 coffee to water ratio. I don't really have a specific brew time I aim for, I kinda just dialed in my grind by taste - if it tasted overextracted, I bumped it a bit coarser, if it tasted underextracted I made it a bit finer. I'm sure there's a more scientific way to go about it but at the end of the day my coffee tastes amazing to me which is what matters.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Haggins posted:

That sounds good to me. Spending $500 on a grinder makes my stomach turn but I can handle sub 200. That also means I can start experimenting with all the delicious coffee available in this city sooner.

I'm kind of thinking about getting an electric kettle with temperature settings since I'm a big tea drinker as well. I always keep a gallon or two of sweet tea in the fridge and I get on a hot loose leaf kick every now and then.

I got one of these a year ago, it's incredible. http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Vari...electric+kettle

The Cuisinart is cool too( I got one for Christmas because my parents didn't know I already bought a Bonavita), especially if you are making coffee for guests or if you sometimes like to brew iced tea- the extra capacity is awesome. The control you get on your pour with the gooseneck is amazing though, and the digital temp adjustment as opposed to the presets really lets you tinker around and make the perfect cup. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of them.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I feel dirty for posting it again buuuut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

Warning, this may make you hate coffee

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Oodles posted:

21g of coffee to 340g water? He may have added more later but I got offended by the hipsterness around that point.

I thought it was 10g to 250g?

I've always used a ~17:1 ratio? 25:1 would be some pretty weak coffee

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Guys help me, every time I use my gooseneck kettle to make pourover coffee, all I can think is 'that's the stoner pour talking' and its ruining coffee for me

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
My office has terrible Foldgers coffee that they make strong as hell every day. One of my coworkers I share a room with brought in a Keurig the other day with a box of different pods, and they were universally worse than the Foldgers.

I want to bring my set up in but having a grinder with the possibility of throwing coffee grounds everywhere as well as a kettle and a glass chemex probably isn't the best idea in the IT office. Guess I'll continue drinking the Foldgers :smith:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Hexigrammus posted:

I had no idea alkaline water was a thing. Reading about it did nothing for my despair for humanity. Even the other froo-froo artists are calling it a scam. ("biophotons" - :wtc:)

I grew up in a very isolated rural area. Everyone in the community drank canned pre-ground coffee brewed with one of those old cowboy-type stove top percolators. After percolating the pot sat on the back of the wood stove until it was finished. A lot of people would put crushed egg shells in the pot before brewing. It probably slowed down the erosion of their tooth enamel. Might not do much for less "intense" types of coffee.

They have alkaline waters called Evamor and Essentia at the grocery store by my house and they're both less expensive than other premium waters and honestly it's the best water I've ever tasted. I'm under no illusions that it's any better for me than regular water, but it tastes really really good, which means it's not a chore to drink a ton of it.

For something coffee related, I'm about to give in and bring in my own beans, that I grind at home and brew when I get to work with a Chemex and a kettle. Our CEO loving hates anything noisy so a grinder is out of the question. It still has to be better than Foldgers, right?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I am about to commit seppuku if I have to keep drinking the coffee at my job. I used to be into roasting my own beans and what not, but kind of fell out of the coffee at home habit a year or so ago. While my pallette is not as snobby as it used to be, I can only drink so much Foldgers before lapsing into a deep coffee depression. I hit that point a couple weeks ago. I have two electric kettles (one gooseneck, one large variable temp Cuisinart I got for my birthday a month after buying the gooseneck), as well as an Aeropress, a Chemex, and a poo poo Cuisinart grinder I bought before I knew better but does a semi-passable job. I'm planning on bringing the Cuisinart kettle and the aeropress to work to stash in my office. The CEO hates noise so the grinder absolutely out of the question - I'll be grinding beans at home in the morning and bringing in the grounds.

I really don't have the inclination to roast my own beans at the moment - is there a moderately priced but decent coffee subscription service y'all recommend? I don't need anything absolutely phenomonal, because it's gonna be a good hour between grind and brew, and anything is a step up from the choice between Tim Horton's keurig cups and a half-function Bunn brewing Foldgers, sometimes loaded by people who throw in twice the amount of grounds. I'd still like something nice though :) I used to have a subscription to Tonx, which I loved, but they've been bought out by Blue Bottle which makes me sad and afraid. I miss being excited to drink coffee, rather than dreading it but needing the caffeine.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Jesus gently caress, I looked that up and it works out to like 3.50 a cup if you want the single serve :ohdear:

Are blue bottle's single origin packages any good?

Am I an rear end in a top hat for considering getting single origin while planning on grinding it a full hour before brewing? because I feel like one

e; Does anyone have experience with Mistobox?

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 7, 2016

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm doing math right now and found that since Sweet Maria's sells a Behmor for 369, shipped with eight pounds of green coffee, the Behmor really comes out to around $150 assuming ~$20 for 12oz as seems to be the going rate.

I really shouldn't go down this road but here we are :v: Gonna sleep on it.

There's a badass local roaster here called Greenway but the traffic getting there is loving ridiculous, they are only open during office hours as they are located in the basement of a skyscraper in a business district, and are also expensive as hell. Also you have to pay garage fees to park and run in. I loved the hell out of their beans the two times I actually made it over to buy them, but it's more headache than it's worth. I'm sure Houston has to have other good roasters though.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just ordered a Behmor Brazen Plus, a Baratza Encore, and a new scale for if I ever feel the urge to break out the old Chemex.

Still mulling over getting back into roasting - might end up grabbing a Behmor roaster in a couple weeks

I'm officially a coffee nerd again :iamafag:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Aeropress is super quick if you follow the instructions included (other than the ridiculously low water temp). Cleanup is super easy too - push the puck into the trash, wipe rinse the plunger, and you're done. It's not a bad cup of coffee either.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Corla Plankun posted:

I am so glad I've forgotten what this sounds like so it can't get stuck in my head anymore.

That's just the stoner pour talkin'

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Frankston posted:

Anyone here have or have used a Behmor Brazen Plus and could weigh in with any opinions? I'm looking for a quick and easy way to make a big batch of coffee in the morning to fill my thermos with and I've read in several places that the BBP is pretty good for the price (I can get one for £150 in the UK).

If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be glad to hear them also.

I've had one for 9 months and I really like it. There's a lot of little customization poo poo you can do with it, and it's comparable to a well-done pourover brew. Apparently it takes longer to brew than some other comparable brewers, but honestly it's perfect for me - wake up, weigh and grind beans, dump them and water in the BBP, hit start, take a shower - it generally finishes brewing right as I get out and I dump it in my yeti cup.

Just set aside some time to play with it when you first unbox it - once you get it dialed in it makes a fantastic pot everytime, but the initial setup is fiddly.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Jan posted:

I did not know this. :smithicide:

Hope my subscription remains untouched.

There's plenty of great subscription coffee services out there just in case. I'm using Amaya roasters out of Houston, and it's amazing. They roast on Monday, and it arrives in the mail on Tuesday. The beans are drat good as well. There's bound to be someone close that's offering a subscription these days, and you can support local roasters :unsmith:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking to get a Technivorm as a gift. Do they make a one-button full-auto maker?

I've heard some have a manual bloom process, where you have to start it, then open the basket after 30 seconds to drop the coffee into the carafe. I want to automate that step, if possible.

Is there a specific model I should be looking for?

e: or is something like the OXO the one to buy now

The Bonavita Behmor Brazen plus has the automated bloom timer built in. It makes drat good coffee.

e; I went to make coffee this morning and saw I put the wrong company :eng99:

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 18, 2017

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
It does a drat good pour over impersonation. I still use my chemex sometimes on weekends, but it’s more for the ritual than any difference in taste.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
The Behmor Brazen Plus is what I have, and it goes toe to toe with the pourover I've made. It gets compared to Technivorm Moccamaster and Bonvita 1900 a lot, which honestly I haven't tried, but the Brazen Plus has some cool customization features - you can choose the precise temperature you want to brew at, as well as settings for bloom, and probably some other crap I forgot because I have it dialed in how I like it and haven't messed with them in a year. All three are SCAA certified, which is good, it comes down to what features you want.

Anyways, I like the Brazen, but honestly anything that's SCAA certified should make a nice cup.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Yeah, they're absolute shitheads and I'm not defending their actions re:Dubai whatsoever. But they do have standards for coffee makers that are the most stringent in the industry that I know of, so if you are researching good auto drip coffee makers they aren't a bad place to start.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just wanted to make sure this gets posted at least one more time in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
So, assuming I already have a Baratza Encore, what's the price tag looking like for getting into espresso? Is Rancilio Silvia still the starting point?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Has anyone had experience with the Gaggia Baby Classic/Baby Twin? Are they somewhat comparable to the classic, if you can get them for a good deal cheaper?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just bit the bullet and ordered a Baratza Sette 270W grinder, a used Gaggia Classic with the Rancilio steam wand mod, a tamper, a knockbox, some espresso cups, and a milk frothing jug. Is there anything dumb I'm forgetting that I'm gonna kick myself for not having later on?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
How much coffee of the same type should I have around to dial in my espresso grinder for the first time? Will 12oz generally cut it or should I order a large batch from somewhere to play with?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

God dammit I get multiple packages from amazon every week, but the one I'm really excited about they can't get to me on schedule. Looks like I will be waiting until next week to start my super auto adventures.

I feel you. I ordered a Gaggia Classic on ebay, it was shipped USPS, arrived in my city yesterday, only to get straight back to another city. Looks like it's not getting here until next week :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'm discovering I really ought to get a scale for proper measuring out of my beans and grounds; does anyone have recommendations for a good scale? I'm leaning towards the Hario V60 scale but I don't know if it's good value for money against, say, the Amazon Basics scale at 1/3 the price.

I just got the Hario V60 for Christmas and it's pretty sweet. The time function is really nice for pourover if that's your thing.

I had an amazon scale before, and that thing chewed through batteries at a phenomenal clip - I had to replace them every other week, it was awful - even more frequently if I wanted to use it while weighing a pourover vessel for water volume. I'm hoping that since the V60 is actually designed with having heavier weights of water and equipment weighed on it, that the battery life won't be so poo poo.