Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Imagined posted:

Any Oklahomans in the thread recommend a local roaster?

In the last two weeks I've gone from "I like the smell of coffee but not the taste"* to trying it with a standard cheap Mr. Coffee and canned grounds, to buying an electric burr grinder and kettle, having a Bodum pour-over (with permanent filter), Clever Coffee Dripper, and Aeropress. Think Mom is getting me an Oxo drip machine for my birthday, so I'll have the whole arsenal if I get a french press too. So far I think I'd rank them Clever > pour-over > Aeropress > Mr. Coffee. The Aeropress tastes fine but doesn't make enough coffee at once to be worth the hassle to me, yet. Maybe on lazy Sundays or something. The Clever is just so foolproof and makes a perfect cup every time that barely needs any cream or sweetener. Honestly they're all good, even the Mr. Coffee if you just want lots of coffee without standing at the counter for 5 minutes. I realized the truth that the beans make the real difference after I tried the canned grounds again after having some of my own grind.

So far though I've only tried Pete's Big Bang, and the "Great Value" (Wal-Mart store brand) Ethiopian and Columbian "single origin organic whole beans". I picked up some bulk Hawaiian and "French Roast" beans from Sprouts, too, but haven't tried those yet.

But now I want to try getting some beans where I know the sources and the dates involved, so I'm looking for a local roaster.

*It's interesting to me how closely this parallels dark beer, which I've always loved, where bad/cheap stuff is bitter and gross while the good stuff is rich and delicious. I don't know how I didn't make the connection before.

Doubleshot, Cirque and FairFellow are all based in Tulsa and do great beans. Doubleshot’s location is beautiful and their beans are the best IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Any practical way to make the Sette quieter? I have the 30 with the mod to add the additional adjustment of the 270. I’ve mostly been happy with it but after watching his video and enjoying the results of the grinder myself I feel like my play money is better served doing a Gagguino upgrade and spending some money on a nicer filter grinder instead.

Was considering getting a Niche but the difference doesn’t feel appreciable.