Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Meroin posted:

Can I get a sense of peoples' opinions of different decaf coffee? I'd love to know what varieties (especially ones I can get a hold of in the US Northwest) could be mistaken for full caff coffee. Unfortunately, my girlfriend can't handle the caffeine at all, though she loves to drink it and is in fact a bit of a coffee snob! It seems like she's written off drinking it at all, but I'd love to defy her expectations.

The thing with decaf is that it isn't a cheap process, so if you see a bag of decaf beans sitting next to non-decaf for about the same price then you know that that the decaf stuff was made starting with much cheaper beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone in this thread is a jackass.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The problems are that you have no idea how old the coffee in those little packets is and you have no control over how it is brewed. Also it is an incredibly wasteful way to package coffee.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roasting coffee first thing in the morning is a pain in the rear end.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

kuskus posted:

Here's some of the latter in my De'Longi, ground on the 2nd to last dot setting with the Bodum on a day that was very low-humidity:

So for my < $200, I'm extremely pleased.

This kind of looks like an egg yolk in a shot glass.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

gwrtheyrn posted:

Part of the motivation for Starbucks, or any other chain of their size, is providing a consistent experience across all of their locations. In this case, the easiest way to make the coffee always taste the same is to burn the hell out of it so there is no real roast variation. I ordered a double shot espresso from them last week because it was the only place open that was selling drinks...huge mistake

Also when they char the poo poo out it then they don't have to be too picky about the beans.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Places that serve coffee or espresso drinks in pint glasses and tumblers. Worst thing or very worst thing?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You won't get any indie cred for it, but if you are in the bay area you can never go wrong with Peet's.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you just order plain drip coffee and they put milk or cream in it then you should be justifiably pissed. Also, no place would ever do this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

That video is Portland as hell.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

simosimo posted:

We have have a Large post box for parcels which get left in there right outside our front door. If a 50x50cm box can fit in there a French press box certainly can.

Maybe not if a conscientious shipper packed your purchase (which is made of glass) well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Happy Hat posted:

Why do they knowingly degrade their product?

They can get away with using cheap crappy beans because everything tastes the same after it has been roasted to charcoal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Good places to buy coffee, beans in the SF Bay Area?

Sweet Maria's operates out of Oakland.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Needs sugar and cardamom.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DoktorLoken posted:

Anyone have a Clever Coffee dripper?

I have one, it makes pretty awesome coffee. I like it better than what comes out of my chemex.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I moved to a new apartment and this place has deficient electricity. My microwave runs at noticeably lower power and my hot-air popcorn popper just ran for 12 minutes and barely got past first crack. :-/ At the old place it got to that point is 4-5 minutes.

I guess I need to look at stovetop options.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, to add another data point to the grinding variability with roast question, coffee roasted barely to something like American is definitely harder to grind in a hand grinder compared to coffee roasted to something like Full City. I think I almost sprained my elbow this morning.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 8, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Amazing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How does that work on an induction stove?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

porktree posted:

I don't know, I don't think thats what I have. But it works well on whatever glass top stove I own.

Yeah I thought that a glass top meant an induction range, but a I guess they make regular electric ones out of glass too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

In a sampler pack from Sweet Maria's, I got 2 pounds of beans that are listed as being good for espresso. Since I don't have an espresso maker, are these worth roasting for my normal coffee? I'm going to try it regardless, but would like to hear if it's viable or worth it even.

Those beans will make perfectly good coffee. Or at least coffee no worse than you usually make.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mandalay posted:

Because I'm willing to trade money for convenience/cleaning. I simply do not have a sink next to the coffee prep area to rinse stuff and water/coffee inevitably spills somewhere when Aeropressing. It will also have the knock-on effect of making it easier to make a cup for employees and patients.

A CCD is pretty easy cleanup. Dump the filter+grounds then rinse is basically it. And no spills unless the device breaks down.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
CCD is good if you only want one cup.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
According to my trusty tape measure it can accommodate mugs up to about 3-5/8" OD.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is basically it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think there is too much going on to be able to judge anything based on the resistance from the plunger.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I meant that you shouldn't read anything in to how hard it is to push the plunger. If the coffee that comes out tastes good to you then the method is fine regardless of what the :spergin: instructions might say.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've ordered a handful of sampler packs and don't remember ever getting a repeat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The effectiveness of a popper depends on your electricity I think. I used to be able to get to FC or more in around 10 minutes, but then I moved to another apartment and now it barely gets to the lightest drinkable roast in 15 minutes. My microwave takes longer to heat stuff too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dhrusis posted:

Agreed. In fact, when I'm running the HT1000 (1200 watts) and the popper at the same time, the popper slows down when I turn the heat gun on. How do I handle this? I just laugh and hope things don't short out/cause a fire somewhere in the walls.

Have your house rewired probably. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Is Illy supposed to be good? I was at a Sur La Table buying kitchen stuff and they had cans of pre-ground Illy brand coffee. Looks like Folgers.

Pre-ground coffee is never good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You are supposed to wait at least a few hours after roasting before you use them, but you can use them right away and still get perfectly good coffee.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one needs a special pouring kettle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

micnato posted:

So was my weird super-long first crack just the result of the sub-par skillet roasting technique, too low heat (I had the stove set to medium-high), or did I likely just miss the break between the cracks?

Maybe too hot. Or you need to stir/agitate more. Sounds kind of like the ones in contact with metal were going really fast and everything else was not.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 3, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sweet Maria's deserves your money.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Wife knocked my CCD over onto the floor and it cracked. Dammit.

A new one can be yours for only $22.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that it would depend too much on the roast and preparation to do too systematic of a comparison like that. The type of bean may be the least significant variable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I used a hot air popper virtually all of the chaff would blow out of the top during the roast.

Using a stovetop popper now that doesn't happen. Usually I pour the roasted beans between two colanders a few times and then gently blow the chaff off the top into the sink. Shaking the beans around in the colander usually causes a bunch more chaff to rise to the top. Repeating that a handful of times gets rid of most of it. A little bit of chaff in the final product doesn't hurt anything.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 12, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is that the artisanal toast place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How sensitive is a typical heat gun performance to crappy electricity? I had to switch from a hot-air popper to a whirlypop when I moved because the electricity in my new place is poo poo and the hot-air popper took over 20 minutes to get to a roast that was barely drinkable (previously it was around a french roast at ~12-15 minutes).

Lately I've just been taking the whirlypop outside on a camp stove and letting the chaff and smoke go where it wants.

withak fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 1, 2013