Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jesus christ for thirty eight years I've loathed coffee and someone just forced an espresso on me and now I can't stop buying shots. What is this life.

It's the perfect taste.

I say I loathed coffee but I always enjoyed chewing on coffee beans as a snack so maybe deep down I knew this would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

I won't say espresso got me started drinking coffee (chocolate mochas did that) but it did get me to start trying to drink better coffee. And now I work at a high end epsresso equipment retailer. PM me if you want the gear hookup ;) Are you still out east?

Oh ho ho ho I'm going to take you up on this at some point :haw: Still in Toronto :)

Going to learn a little more before I start to buy anything, especially since it's cheap enough to just go buy a shot or two at any of the hundred shops in walking distance from my condo. I'd be lying if I said I didn't already youtube the hell out of doing it yourself and what the equipment goes for and :stonk:

Why do I always pick expensive hobbies?

edit: And I sort of lied, I've always liked the Starbucks * Latte stuff but that's basically cream with some coffee in it so I didn't really count it. The first time I went into a coffee shop and asked for an unflavored cafe latte I almost gagged. For me I found that I want the flavor to be as strong as possible so maybe there's a way to translate the espresso hit into an actual cup of coffee but even if there isn't I think I'll be perfectly happy just downing shots of espresso for the rest of my life.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 9, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh no doubt. I'm spending two bucks for a double espresso once or twice a day so I have no doubt I could break even before the end of the year at this rate.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

I've been asked to add a Blog to our site, which is super easy and I already know how to do the technical side and it'll look pretty sweet as well. But I was wondering, are blogs "cool" any more? Would you guys click on one for an etailer site? What if I called it the Magic Beanatorium? Other suggestions are welcome.

The reason I'm asking here and not elsewhere is because I want to get coffee people's opinion, not marketing nerd people.

Quite frankly?

Not even remotely have I ever been interested in anything a retailer has on their blog section. Moreover, a year from from now when everyone has long forgotten to post articles it will be a wasteland of old content and make the company look like it just doesn't give a gently caress. Which, to be fair, is probably true about a corporate blog.

But if it's fairly easy to do then it's just as easy to make disappear once it stops being relevant. I would just be very vigilant about monitoring when it stops being fresh and active and when it starts to creep into "abandoned" territory. The threshold will be different depending on who you ask.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 12, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you have any amount of budget (like, get a nice camera and some cheap studio lights) and you have someone mildly photogenic I would wholeheartedly recommend a YouTube page instead of a text blog. Put up one or two videos a month, give them more than the basic production value, make it entertaining and you've got a much better chance of catching attention.

You don't even need content that's super unique. I'm subscribed to probably five or six cocktail channels that all basically post the same recipes; a few airsoft channels that all post the same kinds of reviews and videos; a bunch of gaming channels that all post similar content. If you can come up with something fresh then even better, but I bet a YouTube channel that's coffee centric, coherent, and more than potato-cam-in-basement quality will do okay.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 12, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think "coffee shop IT guy" youtube coffee channel could be a cool schtick to be honest, if you wanted to step in front of the camera. An ensemble cast can keep things interesting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well see now I have a problem. I got exposed to espresso and I love it, only I'm going back three, four, five times a day. What can I do to retain the absolute punch-me-in-the-face-with-coffee flavor but in something that lasts more than thirty seconds?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Definitely going to try this, thanks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

The answer is always another espresso.

Tattoo "double espresso" on my forehead for convenience then. I'll just point to order.

I was just thinking about the fallacy that is when someone says I should buy an expensive machine by comparing it to how much I pay for drinks on a daily basis. Unless I strap this machine to my back it's going to live at home but most of my coffee is drunk at work. I'm totally open to buying an expensive machine I just don't think I buy the "you'll save money down the road" line though. I'll end up buying coffee anyway unless I travel home every hour for another shot.

Also in the week that I've been a coffee drinker I actually started going for espressos with both my CEO and my VP of technology and I've made some amazing connections. It's like smoking in that it helps expand a circle of friends, but it'll probably kill me by caffeine instead of cancer. If I ever take up smoking just shoot me though.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 15, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not you specifically, I've had like twelve people tell me that in the past week :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So my whirlwind discovery tour of coffee shops in the area has revealed a pattern of which espressos I like and which ones I don't. There's one place right by me that I've been to twice, and each time I get an espresso there it tastes.. green? I don't know how else to describe it. Very much tastes like there's grass in my coffee. Is this a thing that happens with different roasts or what is happening? I'm just not going to go there, much like I stopped going to starbucks because their espressos taste like an ashtray 75% of the time.

Which is a shame because my condo is literally on top of a starbucks so I'd love for the to make me some good espresso.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thinking of picking up a moka pot before I jump in the deep end of espresso makers, but I'm seeing that I'll likely need to shell out for a good grinder either way. How realistic is getting something good for sub-$200 CDN these days? Not great, right?

By good, I mean something I won't replace for a few years at least and that'll last me through babby's first espresso maker phase.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uhhhh I know what I'm doing this weekend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let's talk about Turkish coffee for a bit.

I just had some and my love for espresso has been put to the test. Now two things:

- Will a glass stovetop prohibit me from buying a pot and making it? I think it's literally just heating up a special pot so no, but I want to check, and:
- Are any of the electric "turkish" kettles I see on Amazon worth looking at? I'd love to be able to do this at the office too, where I don't have access to a stovetop.

Other than that, I understand that the grinding situation is even more perilous than espresso. Talking about flour-consistency grind so a good grinder is essential.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm actually hopeful that my Turkish coffee place is one of those 80%. If I'm in love with poo poo turkish coffee, I'll be even more elated when I learn to make it properly.

I bought this for the office, which I'm sure is terrible but I'm not allowed to actually bring fire to work so it's probably as good as I'll be able to do at the office. Also picked up a "legit" cezve from Etsy which hopefully isn't lined with lead so we'll see if I'm dead in a week or not.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 11, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I should also note that in absence of a good grinder I just bought this at the coffee shop that I get my turkish coffee from.

https://www.amazon.com/Mehmet-Efendi-Turkish-Coffee-8-8/dp/B0060HW38O

Probably poo poo coffee but what do I know, tastes good to me. Can't wait to get a good grinder and put that to shame though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hoooly poo poo I got my ibrik yesterday and tried it out today and I'm in turkish coffee heaven.

Just need some proper sized cups now. Made my coffee a little weak(er) since I didn't measure properly. Still delicious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

If you have a scale, start with 5g of coffee and 90g of water, then adjust from there to taste.

Great advice, thanks.

I will be drinking this often.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

What's your brewing method like? There are a million guides on the internet. Personally I do not stir my coffee at any point, and I turn it off right before it gets to a boil (i.e. when bubbles appear in the outside ring).

I tried to follow this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNWLrRzIAM

My glass stovetop doesn't heat the ibrik evenly, I don't think, but I managed to muddle through it. I stirred it right at the beginning when I combined the coffee and water and then not at all after that. I have to say that maybe I put in too much water or didn't do something right because I didn't particularly see any crema form like in the video, but it was still delicious all the same.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I desperately need a new kettle for non-coffee leaf-based beverage purposes. I keep eyeing ones with the programmable temperature but so far my frugality is winning out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hm. So I enjoy espresso, I love Turkish coffee, but other than that I found that I actually dislike most brewed or pour-over stuff. It's just too dilute (?). I don't know how to articulate it. I'm perfectly find just drinking my espresso and Turkish but can anyone recommend something I may be overlooking? For me the strength seems to be the key and everything else just tastes like watered down espresso or .. something. I've tried flavored coffee, adding milk and sugar, lots of different concoctions but nothing hits the spot like my top two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to give french press a try, thanks.

Like I said, I'm perfectly happy sticking to what I know I love, I just didn't know if there was anything obvious I was missing :)