Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For those that have been waiting, Baratza redid their site and reloaded their store with a ton of refurbs at all price levels.

Maestro is 70 refurb , Maestro plus is 95 (new is 145), and Virtuoso is 143 (new is 250).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AriTheDog posted:

Thanks for pointing this out! Anyone know what the difference between the Maestro and Maestro Plus is? People in another thread somewhere else were saying the only difference is the pulse switch on the front, and the metal base. Anyone know?

I tried finding this out -- it looks like the Maestro Plus just replaced the Maestro and there's very little difference.

To avoid that problem I just went and talked myself into the Virtuoso. It had better reviews and hey, it's a gift for Christmas so why not be a little generous!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just got the Virtuoso I ordered as a gift. Holy poo poo is it heavy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hmm, guess I have to unwrap mine and open it to make sure. Yep, looks clean to me. The hopper was wrapped in plastic and looked very good.

sellouts fucked around with this message at Dec 6, 2011 around 17:15

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mine arrived looking fine. I placed the order the day the new website was launched and it had a working tracking number. It took a minute to get through their system given Thanksgiving but I was properly notified when it was given to UPS and was all good.

I was invoice #91. I'm betting this is an isolated incident but it's not acceptable and you should raise enough hell to get it fixed to your liking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My refurb baratza virtuoso came 99% clean, a few specs of coffee showing that they tested it before sending it out.

That thing rules, by the way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's the recommended grind setting for a Virtuoso / Aeropress combination?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm tired of buying the little cartons of Stumptown cold brew and should just brew the stuff at home.

It seems like a pretty basic process but any cold brew setups that are constructed to make things easy/convenient over other setups?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks, I don't have a pourover unfortunately. My wife has a drip machine and a baratzo virtuoso grinder. She had an aeropress but I feel like that would be a bit too small?

Gonna go try Mason jars, thanks!

sellouts fucked around with this message at May 26, 2015 around 19:13

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

becoming posted:

I use this for filtering: http://amzn.com/B000MIT2OK It's cheap, filters are cheap, and in a pinch, you can actually make hot coffee in it.

You can also use nut milk bags. I use them for being able to squeeze more concentrate out of the grounds. These are the ones I bought: http://amzn.com/B00KI2RQHU

Ask any questions you have and let us know how it goes. If anything in the linked cold brew post is unclear, let me know and I'll update it.

It's super clear, thank you. I'll adjust the grind on my grinder to a higher number to make it a little more coarse and experiment from there.

I felt like most people started cold brewing with a variety of other tools -- I just wasn't sure what would be advised if you had to start over and had nothing to use already. The links above really help!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

First batch of cold brew is --- not bad!

I did the 1:4 method but couldn't find 2qt jars locally so I used 1qt and halved coffee and water. I used an house blend from a favorite coffee shop, but the beans were definitely old. I used our Virtuoso grinder set to around the highest setting (biggest grind) that you'd use for french press.

The one thing I found was that there was some dust that made it through the nut milk bags and are stuck to the side of the glass as I am drinking.. I am guessing that's from not cleaning the Virtuoso and just residual dust from many of the previous very fine grinds. Could it be anything else?

Also any tips for squeezing the most coffee out of the grounds? I feel like my yield of water I put in vs concentrated coffee I got out was pretty low.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Any reason I couldn't or wouldn't want to use my aero press to press the remaining water out of the grounds?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

People looking to cold brew: Container store has 1.5L glass jars. They easily work for 800g water / 200g coffee where 1L will fall short.

I still need a better way to increase yields. 800g of water is lucky to be 470g of concentrate with squeezing the hell out of the filter bag. Then I've got to filter again because there's a ton of silt.

I think realistically with my poor yields you could save ~40% vs just going to Stumptown and getting a growler of cold brew.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're insane. It's very different tasting that the cold brew in the bottle usually stocked next to it.

In a bad way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitro in a can is gross. The keg is better but still weird.

For my cold brew at home I used a virtuoso baratza grinder set to #27. I use the filtron pitcher to brew for 16 hours in the fridge. I use beans that I've had cold brew from (stumptown, verve, coava) so I can try to get the process down.

The coffee I make tastes a little.... Dark. It's just not quite as fruity or sweet as the others. I've tried adding more or less water to the concentrate for each cup I make and I can't get it there.

Any suggestions?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Geisha from Dark Matter via pourover is really, really good.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What espresso machines are y'all using with these grinders?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Some local dude is selling a gs3 for like 5250 (5850 on eBay to account for fees)

He's used the thing like 18 months as a mobile coffee cart for events. Meaning tons of pulls, questionable water, various employees with differing training, likely no time to backflush when they're shutting down and the machine being moved around a ton. Also he posts a lot of pictures of the MP version, meaning nothing up close of the actual machine.

Feels like it's closer to 3k in value, given than it probably needs 500-600 in tune up and has been used commercially. 4K used seems to be around the price.

I don't think I can offer that low and should probably wait for him to re-list it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dude in Chicago, stop by Dark Matter.

See if they have any Gesha and have them do a pourover. It's fantastic.

Also their cold brew is fantastic.