Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

a messed up horse posted:

Any strong opinions on the old-style Chemex with wood handles vs the ones with glass handles? The wood ones look way cooler to me but I've heard some people complain about cleaning them.

I was in the same boat, and ended up getting the one with the glass handle and am pretty happy with my choice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places to buy coffee in ~2-3 lb bags. We go through a 12 oz bag in <1 week in our house, and I feel like there has got to be a way to get pretty good coffee at a decent price if I'm willing to buy in bigger amounts. Alternatively, there is a roaster near us that sells 5 lb bags, how long do you think that would last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Haggins posted:

That sounds good to me. Spending $500 on a grinder makes my stomach turn but I can handle sub 200. That also means I can start experimenting with all the delicious coffee available in this city sooner.

I'm kind of thinking about getting an electric kettle with temperature settings since I'm a big tea drinker as well. I always keep a gallon or two of sweet tea in the fridge and I get on a hot loose leaf kick every now and then.

I am in the same boat (in regards to the tea) and ended up buying this Cuisinart electric kettle.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPK...keywords=kettle

Its quick, has multiple temperature settings, is easy enough to pour, and looks good enough on the counter. Its not a gooseneck, but it works just fine for my Chemex.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

CerebralDonut posted:

Coffee newbie here, looking for a recommendation: After using bad drip machines for years, I bought an Aeropress 6 months ago and was blown away. I really love the taste and texture of the coffee this thing produces, but currently I'm looking for something similar that can produce 3-4 cups of coffee at once. What's the closest thing to an Aeropress that can do this? Should I be looking into a French Press, or is there something else I should be considering? Any specific recommendations in either case?

I was in the same boat as you and bought a Chemex. It's not the "same" coffee, but its great for making multiple cups. I still use the Aeropress sometimes if I'm just making a small one for me.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

emotive posted:

Anyone here use a Coffee Sock for filtering cold brew? I'm trying to find an alternative to the messy method that is brewing, plunging through a french press, and then straining through cheese cloth. Not too sold on the idea of a Toddy system, but if I could just pull the sock out of the container and have a clean cup that'd be pretty amazing.

I pour my coldbrew through my Chemex. It's super easy and I dont have to rinse out a filter / sock or anything like that.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

Seconded. I had one I used for at least 6 years before I decided to get something better for espresso. My brother has it now and it still runs fine after a decade.

Thirded (or fourthed). I’ve had mine for 4 years and it’s still running great.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

bizwank posted:

HER is primarily a repair shop and will only have a random assortment of used machines for sale, and probably no super-autos as he sends all that work to me. The SCG shop in Bellevue is your best option for hands-on demos of a wide variety of machines; the only other brick and mortar shops in town selling home machines mostly stick to Nespresso and Jura (which should be avoided), though Costco is known to have Delonghi or Saeco machines on occasion. Feel free to PM me if you want more guidance.

My brother has a Jura C65 and absolutely loves it. I was thinking about picking one up as well (or a C60 - they have refurb ones for about half price), any reason you say to avoid them? Any recommendations for a super-auto. I dont really care about milk frothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

bizwank posted:

You will have very limited options for repair; either ship it to Jura themselves, who will just try to talk you into buying a new one, or to a guy in PA who charges as much as Jura does. There are no spare parts or technical docs available to the public so other repair shops won't touch them. Delonghi and Saeco both make super-autos that are just as good as Jura, if not better, and parts/service are readily available for those brands.

That makes sense, his is only about 1 year old and he hasn't had any issues. I do live in PA...

Is there a specific model of Delonghi and/or Saeco I should look at? The C60 refurb is $600, so I guess thats my baseline.