Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with the Breville/Sage Precision Brewer? I'm thinking of getting one. People seem to be favourably comparing it with the Moccamaster, but it does cost more here in the UK. James Hoffman seems to like it fine, I think it's his home brewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do you guys rinse the filter papers you use in drip machines? I just got my first proper machine and it seems kind of a pain to have to boil a kettle in order to rinse it out before sticking the wet filter in the machine’s cone.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

So I bought my first bag of real coffee from a local specialty shop. I got some of this stuff and it's a little sour tasting in my drip machine. It tastes alright at first, but as it cools it really starts to be pretty sour. I've heard that I could try adjusting my grind size a little finer, or brewing it for longer, but I'm wondering if it's just the coffee itself? Does anyone have any ideas?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It’s fun having new stuff! What does the pour over method get you? Something similar to a drip coffee?

I got my first proper grinder, a Baratza Encore. It’s loud as gently caress, but so much nicer than hand-grinding everything with my Porlex.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do you really need a fancy coffee scale if all you’re doing is weighing water and beans? Any gram accurate scale should work fine.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

iospace posted:

I have a baratza encore, and the discharge chute is clogged, like badly. Any advice on unclogging it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPkbcKyDLqk Use the wire brush it came with and bend it like this video shows and then shove it around in there.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone have a good idea of the ideal brew size for the Kalita Wave 185? The stuff i'm finding online lists numbers of "cups", but definitions of cups varies quite a bit. I'm hoping it'll be good for around 400-500 grams of brewed coffee in a single go.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just tried my first ever manual pour-over using the Kalita Wave 185. I brewed 500ml of water with 30grams of coffee. Might have been the nicest tasting cup of coffee I've ever had. I used these beans: https://www.papercupcoffee.co.uk/collections/all/products/sweeter-things

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just saw this recipe for the Kalita Wave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr__Va0WpkU It has a 1:13 ratio, which seems like an awful lot of coffee, but it's the standard recipe some coffee shop in California. I'll try it tomorrow morning regardless and hope it doesn't make me feel ill.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Those shots look pretty similar to what my encore produces at those settings.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has anyone ever heard of beans suddenly going bad, relatively soon after they were roasted? My light roast beans suddenly started making ultra-sour V60s with no real change in recipe or method. One day they were fine, the next they were really sour. They were roasted on the 7th of Jan, so pretty recently. I stored them in a vacuum-sealed canister.

I think the only part of the process that changed was that I got a proper pour-over kettle, instead of a normal tea kettle. However, I'm pretty sure I made at least one or two v60s with the gooseneck before things started turning sour.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Sour comes from underextraction typically. So your water might not be hot enough, grounds are too large, or your brewing time is too short. I guess I'd try grinding finer and pouring slower.

Or just make a french press and see if it's still sour.

I tried them in an Aeropress and they were okay, just don't really understand why the v60 suddenly went wonky after tasting great for so many brews through the past week.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It makes a great cup of coffee on the cheap, but it won't taste anything like an espresso. It's more like a french press in my mind.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How would you guys characterise the coffee that a Chemex produces compared to a V60?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

So it might be prone to more bitterness? It was my understanding that it would produce less bitterness, not more, due to the thick filters removing more oil from the coffee than a V60 would.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just tried my first 3-cup Chemex (the smallest model). You guys were definitely right about the flavour. Quite flat compared to a V60, with much less pronounced acidity. I think I probably ground a little too coarse (24 on a Virtuoso+). It wasn't at all unpleasant though. Maybe a method for people that don't enjoy a lot of acidity in their coffee?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

With a french press, are there any rules about vessel sizes versus the amount of coffee brewed? I'm assuming you can put any amount of coffee into any sized french press, and as long as your ratio is fine then the size of the vessel itself shouldn't matter? The reason I ask is that nine times out of ten I'm making about 300ml of coffee, but am wondering if it would be alright to get the larger 0.5L version of a press for the few times I'm brewing for more than one person?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has got any experience with the Breville/Sage Bambino Plus? Seems like it might be a decent beginner espresso machine?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

After using your espresso machine, where do you store the portafilter? I've noticed that leaving it locked in the group-head means that the group-head stays a bit damp, so I've resorted to leaving it on the drip-tray below. Is there a best practice? I'm using a semi-automatic Breville Bambino Plus if that makes a difference.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

There seems to be quite a lot of confusing information about exactly what constitutes a proper shot of espresso. I’ve been pulling 60ml shots through 18g of coffee. Is that a reasonable thing to do? It tastes pretty good. Some places seem to call this ratio a double, while others call it a single. It’s confusing!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If I was looking to get a grinder for Espresso, how would the Baratza Sette 270 be? It seems to be well-reviewed, but I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with one first.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

I haven't used the Sette, but Baratza is quality poo poo. You'd be able to function with a scale and an Encore and save a few hundred bucks, though.

It was my understanding that to properly dial in an espresso machine, you needed to be able to make adjustments that would be too small for something like an Encore?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

RichterIX posted:

This might be a stupid question or have a really involved answer, but do different beans/roasts drain significantly differently if ground ostensibly the same? Do they drain differently as they age? I'm trying to hone in my v60 technique and I sometimes randomly just get wildly different drain times. The grind size looks about the same to me but I know my Infinity isn't the most consistent grinder in the world. It's nothing that ruins my coffee or anything but the swing is probably 30+ seconds.

I use James Hoffmann's v60 method and I wonder if the last swirl sometimes moves all the fines to the bottom point of the filter and they gum up the works?

I recently went back to use up some beans that were left in the bottom of an old bag. They drained waaaay faster than they did a couple of months ago when they were fresh. Method/equipment was exactly the same.

Edit: Still tasted good though.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 15, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with the Eureka Mignon Specialita? I've seen people favourably compare it to the Baratza Sette 270, citing superior reliability. They both cost around £350 here in the UK.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Received the ruby red Specialita today. The difference in grind quality between this and the built-in grinder in my Sage Barista Pro is vast. No clumps at all. Really easy to dial in too.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

So my Skerton is showing it's age. The threads on the burr shaft have worn the upper sleeve/bushing and the shaft wobbles a ton despite having done the Orphan Espresso lower bearing upgrade and trying to better center the burr. I want to upgrade but I'm having decision paralysis.

I was thinking about getting an Encore, but the convenience of an electric grinder may not be worth it for me. I really only have time to make myself good coffee during the weekend so, this made me look at the Lido, where I could get better consistency at the sake of still having to hand grind. I typically make 1000ml batches, so that means large amounts of grinds, and I usually use a Chemex or a French Press.

Does anyone know how long it'll take to grind ~60-70g with the Lido to medium-coarse? It always took a few minutes with the Skerton, and I've heard that the Lido is much faster, but how much faster?

I can't speak to the speed of the Lido, but here in the UK, the Encore is actually cheaper than a Lido. How expensive are Encores where you live?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

I'm in the US. The Encore is $140. The Lido is $185.

I figured that the $45 bucks isn't a huge difference in price.

I think I’m not really understanding your quandary. Why not just get the Encore? It’s cheaper and a lot less elbow grease? What do you gain by going with the Lido?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Ah, I didn’t know the encore was that much worse than the lido.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How is it different from what a steam wand produces? I get that it requires zero technique, but does it produce the same rich creamy milk?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just tried some Red Brick espresso from Square Mile. (James Hoffmann's place) Really nice. Might be my new favourite standard espresso. Tempted to give their Sweet Shop blend a go next month, but that might be a little too crazy for my tastes.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 10, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I imagine that's great for cappuccino, but not good for lattes.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Jan posted:

Seconded--my office uses SF Bay, and it's just about the only K-cup I don't feel disgusted using. I like their Breakfast Blend and Rainforest Blend, French Roast is a bit too dark for my tastes.

Now that I'm not working from my office, however, I've been using my home espresso set a lot. The problem is, panic buyers have been gobbling up all the the bottled water here, and if I run out of that, I can't use tap water because it's so hard it'll scale up the boiler in a matter of weeks. So I'm looking into getting a pourover kit, including kettle. I was previously using a plain Hario kettle and was pretty satisfied with it. But I'm not adverse to getting something fancier, and have been considering the Fellow Stagg. Their electric EKG kettle is very bougie, but is it worth it and decent enough quality? I'd not be adverse to having a kettle I can use both for pourover and for precise temperature control for teas with lower brewing temperatures.

I have the Stagg. Have been using it twice a day, every day since January. It's great. The black paint on it chips off pretty easy though, so watch you don't knock it against things.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I have a Sage/Breville Barista Pro and am very happy with it. It's not going to last as long as the more expensive machines, but it looks way nicer than the ugly, boxy Rancilio Silvia, and comes with better features. The Silvia probably does pull a better shot, but the need to mod it yourself to get decent temperature control is a significant downside. I plan to own this thing for a few years then save up for a proper heat exchange thing down the line. The price difference between the Breville/Rancilio stuff and the next step up is pretty extreme.

I am glad that I spent a decent chunk on a nice espresso grinder though, a Eureka Mignon Specialita. Means I won't have to worry about upgrading the grinder once I get a proper big boy machine later. My Barista Pro does come with its own built-in grinder, but the Eureka is way nicer.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Might be worth trying a pressurised portafilter too. It should help smooth out the downsides of using a stepped grinder for espresso.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Can you simply buy a thermal carafe later, or is it a whole different form factor and thus incompatible?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The wirecutter picks the Breville Bambino as the best “beginner” machine. It’s really small, and pretty good looking too. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-espresso-machine-grinder-and-accessories-for-beginners/

It uses a pressurised portafilter, but it’s easily the best tasting one I’ve ever sampled. I’d definitely recommend it. It does nice milk steaming too.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Changing the subject slightly: I know that bottomless portafilters are diagnostically useful, but do they offer any other benefit? If you're not having any issues, is there any reason to use them over a normal spouted portafilter?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I will say that if you’re considering the Niche, then you can get a similarly good espresso grinder (Eureka Mignon Specialita) for a good deal less money. They’re also small, really quiet and look pretty nice. Lots of colours to choose from.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 19, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Looks like another regional variance; essentially same price in Canada.

Interesting. In the UK, I bought my Specialita for £350, same price as the Baratza Sette 270. The Niche is £500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Not sure if you’ve noticed the thermo-jet stuff or not yet, but the best way to get everything up to temperature before pulling a shot is to just fire through a couple of blank shots first. I find 2 shots to be totally fine for getting the portafilter and group head up to temperature.

I mention this because I noticed a bunch of people complaining that the usual “leave it on for 30 minutes before use” was achieving absolutely nothing. It’s just not designed to work that way. So, 2 blank shots immediately after you turn it on and it’s golden. Way faster than older traditional thermo block stuff.

Oh, and I found the auto steam to be fine with normal cows milk, but did get better results with the manual steaming option.

It’s pretty amazing how good it is for such a tiny thing. I just wish it had a bigger drip tray.