Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just got an aeropress for Christmas and I'm looking at burr grinders. The Maestro is up on the refurb store for $95. Any reason to get it over a Capresso Infinity or Bodum Bistro (http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324849088&sr=8-3)? I've got $40 in amazon gift certificates burning a hole in my wallet so I'd prefer one of the later two but I'll go for the Maestro if it's significantly better.

Or should I just grind my coffee at the store and use it a week at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Count me as an aeropress convert. I had my first cup this morning and I've never tasted so much of the coffee as today. It was so smooth I didn't even miss the usual milk that I add. Can't wait to try it out with a burr grinder once it gets here.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

nm posted:

Goddamnnit, they are out of refurb maestro pluses.
They're listed right there, but nooooo. . .out of stock.

Hands off, they're mine. I'm pretty sure the guy who was supposed to sell me his used one locally died or something. I've been refreshing that page for the past few days and nothing.

I think they officially update on Fridays?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Christ Baratza put up more refurbs and let me buy one. :mad:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I know this is the equivalent of asking "where should I get pizza in New York," but do you guys have any favorite coffee places in SF near Moscone?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Thanks for all of the coffee suggestions guys, I'll check a few out. Looks like Blue Bottle will be my go to morning place while I'm there. :)

Is it worth bringing a pound of coffee back from anywhere with me?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is 30 the right setting to use on a Maestro Plus for aeropressed coffee?

Thanks again for the SF coffee suggestions. Blue Bottle was a great way to start my day off before heading off for boring conferences in Moscone.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I had the same problem getting a Maestro Plus a few weeks back. I gave them a call and asked nicely and they made me one. :)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The sweet maria's coffee sampler seems perfect for getting into roasting. Is there a big advantage to getting something like the FreshRoast SR300 over a popcorn popper?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the goon-approved electric kettle? Is in the Bonavita gooseneck or this Cuisinart: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPK...electric+kettle ?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My Bonavita occasionally gives me the HI ERR error when the temperature gets close to boiling. Is that normal on occasion or do I need to replace it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like I lost my tiny kettle lid for my bonavita. It has an msrp of 5 bucks, but I can only find it for prices approaching $20. Am I stuck?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a Baratza Maestro Plus that's 13 or 14 years old at this point. I figure it might be time to replace the burrs. If I primarily use it for aeropress, drip, and the occasional moka pot, is there an advantage/disadvantage of replacing with with an M2 or M3 burr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

rath posted:

Wait, you all can afford espresso AND children??? :guillotine:

My toddler uses my aeropress inverted.